Emergency Prep - Tech - Kit

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Nov 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    GateCrasher and Morgan101 like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I actually had written long post regarding the use of smartphone for wilderness (off the grid) usage in other forum (SB). And I wondering which sub forum or maybe blog to repost that and adding more content to it here.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

There is some overlap in the sub-forums.

You'll not I sometimes write about my selection section in the preface section of my post.

MSF.COM is sophisticated enough to understand we are here to learn, teach, refine, explore and so far, I view matters as OK.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Not overly impressed with their power station/battery recommendations, they're more geared toward camping where small size and light weight are requirements. For bugging-in these are less of a concern and it's easy to get a lot more power for a lot less money than what they recommend. First off, if you own a car do you even need a $150-$200 power station for home use at all? For less than $100 you can get a 100 watt solar panel and charge controller that'll provide about 30 amp hours of battery charging power per day to your car battery, that's enough to recharge your smartphone and those of your six closest friends every day, with enough left over to keep your car battery topped off since you don't want to deep cycle a standard car battery too often. If you don't have a smartphone (or any friends :) ) then a AA battery charger that runs on 12 volts (e.g., "car adapter" compatible) might be a good option, for charging AA batteries to power other 'tech' items like flashlights or radios.

For a little more redundancy at reasonable cost, add a jump starter battery pack like this or even a deep-cycle or marine battery. Even with the added cost of this extra battery you're still under their $200 Goal Zero power station they recommend, and you have two batteries and the means to charge them. I like the jump starter for a couple reasons, first because it's always a good idea to have a second battery to jump start your own vehicle at home or on the road, but also because they often have an air compressor and power jacks (12v cigarette lighter or powerpoint and USB) for charging smaller devices. Another bonus is even if you plan on adding a larger alternate home-sized power solution like solar or a generator, then this small standalone vehicle-based alternate power setup can still function as a reliable Plan B at home, or obviously if bugging out by vehicle then it's already packed and ready to go. I did a small writeup on adding an (isolated and automatically charging) jump start battery and small solar panel to a vehicle, really pretty simple and inexpensive. https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/backup-car-truck-battery.6660/

Another critical item I think they left out, and maybe the first item you should acquire if you don't already have one, is a multimeter. In fact two or more is probably best, including at least one with an amp clamp.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how they are now, but several years ago my best friend and his wife bought sat phones for their around the world cruise. Supposedly, they are much more expensive to buy and in fees. Also, the coverage was very spotty out to sea(though surprisingly good in the Indian Ocean) and even spotty in some land areas far from major cities. Still better than any cell phone coverage of course BUT they are no communications panacea.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Son of Liberty,

Satphones can be expensive for private citizens. In the commercial world, they are one of the best and lest-costly gadgets to have. A pressing requirement and a call to the home office (HO) - fortunes are saved.

I have used a satphone and experienced no reception in a heavily wooded area. Had to walk to a different location and contact made.

What must be noted is that India and China prohibit Iridium models. I had Inmarsat.

For a prepper, a decision must be made based on all the involved factors.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts: