Emergency Preparedness And Safety

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pragmatist, Mar 1, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://japan-forward.com/editorial...e-kind-of-emergency-preparedness-japan-needs/

Good morning all,

I'm posting this link without opening it to lead story. Go through the link.

At lead picture of those waiting in line to fill water jugs; ...... Is it not a safety matter to fill up a 5 gallon jug of water and walk back home with daughter ? A whelled luggage carrier too expensive to have for this resupply ? Forgot about weight of carrying the water ? during a stress event ? with daughter in tow ? And what if slowly walking home there's a distribution site handing out MRE whale meat delights ? How will they be carried home ? Do factor in SAFETY into the emergency preps !

Scrolling down to the COVID site; the landslide over the highway isn't the best place to test manufacturer's warranty on the Bobcat ATV with trailer.

Note in link: "Thus, evacuation preparedness is always crucial".

Note in link: "and avoiding injuries".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Was putting together another first aid kit for a vehicle.

I'm gonna mention some things that you'll likely not find in an over-the-counter first aid kit "in a store near you". These items I'm gonna talk about, you may not feel comfortable using, so don't put them in your kit. Allow emergency personnel to perform tasks you can't yourself handle. Don't feel bad about letting the professionals do their jobs -- it's most usually not on you. Do however, put a tourniquet in your first aid kit -- got to stop an arterial bleed from an arm or leg severe injury. Don't let a person bleed-out.

I'm gonna now post some info related to chest injuries. These items one will find in a military medic's kit.

Chest injuries are monstrously scary. Bad thing though is that they are all too common. From combat to car accidents, emergency medical crews must perpetually deal with these killer injuries. One emergency crew brought one of my sons back to life using the following items / procedures.

The following deals with a "sucking chest wound". The video with show you how to seal it. The vid shows proper patches "vented" type and a regular patch, "occlusive" that seals without having any sort of vent. If you haven't a proper patch, just make-do -- you might have to seal the chest wound with your hand / your hand and a plastic bag. Don't worry about contaminating the wound with bacteria. They'll die if you don't do anything. Forget about infections -- let the hospital deal with that. First , just save the person's life.

The following vid is an instruction set for needle decompression of tension pneumothorax. Do not attempt to do this yourself save in the most extreme of circumstances. We are talking post-SHTF when no medical personnel are anywhere near. Only do this when it's on you to save a life, else you can kill someone when attempting this procedure.

The next video is the best video on the subject of tension pneumothorax I have ever seen! Covers all bases ... except that it doesn't have a illustration of tracheal deviation. Trach dev is an in-your-face indicator that a tension pneumothorax is present. So, I'm adding more info concerning tracheal shift and the cause of it.

Things to remember: Always listen to the chest on both sides. If you don't have a stethescope put your ear to their chest. You should hear air moving on both sides high and low, plus high and low on the patient's back. Hearing no air exchange one side of the chest is an indicator that that lung has deflated = BAD. One side could sound like moving air and the other side also, but barely audible = pathology. If using needle decompression, remember that there is a metal needle inside of the flexible catheter (several different materials can be used for the cath, what is used is up to the company, could be silicone or polyethylene or ...). The needle component allows you to jab through the rib-cage (at the top of a rib; NOT the bottom of a rib, because blood vessels and nerve bundles are located below a rib). So you jab the chest (video describes), then PULL OUT THE NEEDLE, leaving the only the catheter in place. The hollow cath allows air, blood, fluid, whatever to be shot out of the chest. A tension pneumothorax, remember, is under pressure, so this gunk will shoot out of the patient's chest -- don't have your face near that geyser of gore.

Here's a Left-sided pneumothorax x-ray. I used an x-ray and drew on it because this x-ray I found is SEVERE. You sure don't need to know how to read an x-ray to understand what is going on in the illustration. Some x-rays are subtle -- this one is NOT subtle. And I could draw on it. I use it because it shows you what's going on inside the chest post-injury, post-impact.

upload_2023-12-15_19-12-34.png

[​IMG]

Now, here's a Right PneumoThrx where the chest wall has been punctured (P.Thrx can happen when there has been no compromise of the chest wall; let's not get into all of that). Let's think gunshot injury = requires the chest wall to be sealed and the lung to be reinflated. A vented patch / chest seal pad that is vented allows unidirectional air escape, which is to say "out". Get that air out of the chest where the lung should be. A tension pneumothorax is anything but rare. Military medics and emergency ward staff see this constantly. It is a killer condition, so this must be treated.

upload_2023-12-15_19-17-52.png

Products : chest seals you can get online both vented and occlusive

https://rhinorescuestore.com/produc...rency=USD&gad_source=1&variant=42389083390133

https://www.amazon.com/EVERLIT-Occlusive-Non-Vented-Adhesive-Dressing/dp/B08FFNJD5G?th=1

https://www.google.com/search?q=ten...g&ei=gu98Ze77I7ek5NoPwoueoAk&bih=783&biw=1340

=============================

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
  3. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Eeeewwww! Oh don't worry. I will let the professionals do their job.

Old Geezer likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      No joke! The medical realm can be far past hideous. Kids shouldn't go to med school for the money nor for the prestige. True / dedicated medical practice is a life-eating profession. It makes many a soul callus. How to survive?! Become callous.

Old Geezer, Dec 16, 2023
      Blitz likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    emergency first aid and preparedness are about those times when medical help is not available.

Blitz likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I know. BUT ... I am as useless as tits on a bull when it comes to yucky medical stuff.

Last summer, at 1am, there was an almighty BANG! which came from outside. Pooch went nuts just prior to this, as we could clearly hear a vehicle . I knew it was a car accident so I rang the police to let them know. Because they would have to call out the ambo, which is 45 minutes away, plus the police coming - the copper on the phone wanted to know if I was sure it was an accident and was I SURE if it was an accident, and they were still there and hadn't driven off. I hadn't heard them drive off, so I told the copper I would get dress and take the pooch for a walk down the driveway and to the road, to check. However, I emphasised that if I found someone in a bad way due to the accident, I would probably have a panic attack and wouldn't be much use.

The copper was great. He said he would stay on the phone with me. So got dressed and took pooch walking down the driveway (which is quite long), whilst the copper was encouraging me, keeping me calm, etc. Got to the corner of the property and couldn't see anything on the main road outside my joint. I said, "oh that's good. Can't see anything". Then I saw some flashing lights down the road a bit, in the ditch. I was packing it! As I walked closer and closer, saw a car in the ditch, but no sound and nobody outside the vehicle.

I immediately thought the driver was dead. I freaked out. The copper kept talking to me, as I got close up to the car, to keep me calm. I was seriously packing my dacks. The closer I got, I could see there was no significant damage, as far as blood and bones. Then I was ok. The copper was still on the phone as I talked to this geezer to find out if he was in pain anywhere. He said his head was really sore (not surprising as when he lost control of the car, it ended in a ditch, before crashing into asi large tree. ) So he would have had a major jolt. The geezer kept closing his eyes, said he was really tired. At this stage the copper organised an ambo and cops to come out.

This Bruce geezer didn't seem legless and I couldn't smell copious amounts of alcohol, so was a bit concerned about him constantly wanting to sleep. He said he passed out initially and now he just wanted to sleep. I annoyed the crap out of him to keep him awake and to make sure he didn't move until the ambos rocked up.

So yeah, a long story but an emphasis on my sheer panic if I see blood and guts!

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was trained in first aid for my job on a building site many many years ago, I'm okay with cuts and scrapes, small burns and a simple broken bone but anymore than that and I'm out.

7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I was also trained in first aid when I was a member of the British Sub Aque Club in Newcastle. Many moon ago. I'm great with theory, but I don't cope very well in practice!

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I had to deal with a few accidents on site, nothing major, a skinned head, some obstructions in some one's eye, a mild burn, that sort of thing.

Blitz likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Yuck is all I can say. I remember when I was in primary school, a kid fell from the top of the slippery dip, pretty much head first onto the concrete below. It scarred me for life, I reckon. I can't watch realistic medical shows, for example. The ambo ones they bring out occasionally, as well as the medical ones where they perform surgery. Makes my stomach turn.

Funnily enough, my first job was at a major hosptial. I was a "runner". Had to pick up buckets of flesh from operations, which required testing for cancer or whatever. It was awful. I hated it!

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I may have told this story before. Do forgive. I'm an old fart. So it goes.

Centuries ago when I was of grammar school age, the sun had set for over an hour, and we boys saw emergency lights over at a local popular street. That was a primary business road in our small town -- had a popular restaurant that served booze in our dry county. The rich need not follow rules, don't'cha'know.

We hop on our bikes and head across a field to see what had happened. Firetrucks, police cruisers, ambulances filled the area and many locals were standing in the road. A god-awful wreck had just occurred. One of the cars was pulled behind a gas station after the passengers had been extracted. Few people used their seat belts back then and shoulder harnesses just didn't exist except in race cars. Car dashboards were steel.

There was sufficient light from a streetlight and the service station's sign to illuminate the interior of the car. "Hey guys, let's go have a look in that car!" Oops. Mistake.

The car's interior looked like someone had taken a watermelon, filled it with blood, and set off a bomb inside of it. Every part of the interior was splattered with copious amounts of gore.

We got back on our bikes and retreated across the field.

Got another car-crash story from childhood. Back then, some cars didn't have safety glass. Guy with male passenger hits a power pole up the road from our house. I want to go. Dad sez, "No, you wait until after the cops and the rescue squad gets there." He was sitting in a chair outside under a tree, heard the wreck and knew that it wasn't going to be pretty. He'd been through three years of WWII and had more than enough hell to fill a lifetime or two. He kept reading the newspaper and drinking his iced tea.

The cops and everybody got there. "You can go now, but don't get in the way," sez Dad. I go up there. The passenger had slammed into the dashboard. His face went through the non-safety glass windshield leaving a oval hole in the glass the shape of his head. He'd been extracted and was lying on the ground unconscious and coughing/gurgling up blood. Yet another early lesson in life for me.

Second grade, my bestest buddy, my paternal grandfather dies of a heart attack. My family takes me (I guess I was 7 years old) back behind the scenes at the funeral home to look at my grandfather's dead body. I remember how cold were his hands.

My childhood was chocked full of "special memories".

Blitz likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen enough dead bodies in my time, mostly fathers in law but others too.
    was on the way to a Sunday car boot sale in Cornwall one time, car pulled up on the grass obviously a road accident, body sitting in the drivers seat, cops all over the place, swear to this day that body wasnt moving so we reckon they were dead, kept moving, I dont "rubberneck" like others do but got the hell out of the area.

Blitz likes this.
  12. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    How many fathers-in-laws did you have??

Are you sure you aren't a serial killer cock? :D

13. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    ^Above meant in the nicest possible, joking manner (in case you didn't spot it).

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    3 but the last one died before I met my wife so didnt count, previous 2 both died in their late 50s of heart attacks.
    no offence taken.

Blitz likes this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Fair enough. Reminds me of my son's recently ex girlfriend. Her mother married 3 times, different kids each time. Two out of the three died. Hmmm. I'm always skeptical! hahahaha

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sounds like my birth mother-who I never knew- she seemed to get pregnant just looking at some guy!!! 8 kids including me.