Emergency treatment.

Discussion in 'Emergency Treatment' started by jonthai, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    In case you're building a shelter, how long do medicine last in these conditions and should you stack medicine for further use in case of a disaster? Otherwise, how are you able to cure anything that comes up, since infections and other diseases than can infect you in a disaster.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In a situation where you are isolated, it is unlikely that you will contract a virus unless you are a part of a group, & someone in that group already has a virus. Keep them isolated until they have recovered. Stay clean, wash all cuts & wounds & disinfect with salt if you have any or honey. Keeping clean is a priority in all situations.
    Keith.

3. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I would buy tablets and pills over liquid medicine. Liquid medicine needs to be stored about room temperature (approx. 65 - 77 degrees F). If you are in a hot environment for long periods of time or if you are in the dead of winter trying to find shelter and stay warm, this will kill the active ingredients in the medicine. Over the counter fever reducer tablets and pills are more resilient to weather and temperature conditions. I believe hydrogen peroxide has a higher resilience to hotter and colder temperatures and has a long shelf life. I have a bottle of this with clean gauze and wraps as part of my supply list.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    and training, no point in having all the equipment if you don't know how to use it.

5. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    This is why it's important to learn how to treat certain things by only using what's in your environment. Do research, you can find anything on the internet. Print your findings out and keep them part of your survival gear. We all need to learn how to do CPR, know what to do in case of poisoning. There are lots of medical supplies that you can purchase and save. How long they last depends on what they are and how they are stored. Think in terms of what could possibly go wrong while you are doing your prepping and make preparations for it. Even if you don't need it, you may be able to help someone else out.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For shelf life / real life of med.s always ask a pharmacist. A pharmacist will be able to answer such questions better than a physician.

For refrigerated medications, think thermocouple refrigerator. Note that a thermocouple refrigerator will keep its contents ##.# degrees below ambient, PERIOD. So, if ambient temps approach freezing then your refrigerator becomes a freezer. Pharmaceuticals such as insulin are damaged by freezing, so be very, very careful! Speaking of insulin, research has shown that if you can keep it below 55 degrees Fahrenheit, you are being effective -- i.e. you may not have to get the temps down into the lower 40's. Fahrenheit, 55 degrees = 13 degrees Celsius.

Flowing water out the side of a mountain is going to be cold enough, so your water-house / mountain cistern is both a source of water and your refrigerator. My people were mountain people and your cabin you built is built at a water source. You've driven a pipe back into the mountain to get a constant flow. Let this flow into your cistern; your cabin's kitchen goes adjacent to or around the cistern. Right now, my mind is back in my great-grandmother's cabin and I'm drinking pure mountain water with a tin ladle out the concrete cistern just off the kitchen. My teeth are hurting it's so cold. I can see that old iron pipe bringing the water into the room. That groundhog we had was way too greasy, too gamey, I'm never eating groundhog ever again, yuck. Squirrels, squirrels are good and make divine gravy. Watch out for the lead shot, that hurt. Time travel. I smell the ramps frying. Roaring creek.

7. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Medicine bought in the pharmacy store has expiration. It's good to grow medicinal plants in your garden that can be accessible in case of emergency. There are lot of medicinal plants depending on your location. Try to identify them for it's uses and how to use it because of us have already medicinal plants planted in our own backyard but the problem is we don't know them or we know them but we don't know how to use it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017