EMP Attacks

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by John Snort, Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    In the event of a war, to make it impossible for an enemy to launch their nukes a preemptive Electro Magnetic Pulse Attack could be the solution. It could take down the power grid and "fry" all electronics. Chaos would ensue.

As a matter of fact earlier in the year some GOP candidates were talking of the possibility of an EMP attack and how the U.S is unprepared for it.

The U.S government may not be prepared for a possible EMP attack but I doubt any European nation is either.

Question: are you prepared for it?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I've noticed EMP attacks showing up in a lot of novels lately. For those of us who are prepared to lose power are somewhat ready, as long as we don't depend on too many gadgets... we are a little more prepared to live without them.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    All nuke launch systems are EMP proof, all nukes in flight are EMP proof.
    Most comms are not EMP proof
    But some are EMP proof!

Nothing will "FRY" all electronics without frying humans also!

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes we are prepared to live without electricity & motor vehicles. We have lived off the grid for roughly 40 odd years, half of that time we lived without electricity & water on tap.
    Keith.

John Snort likes this.
  5. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    People who can live off the grid are prepared. Still I doubt that this will be a problem civilization will never be lost just corrupted. People who choose to live away from civilization are the ones who will be driven from it. People think that there will be nuke wars and it won't happen, there will be a new world order. After the return of Christ the world will be under a one world government and those who choose to flee to the wilderness will be those in Christ.

6. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am not prepared for an EMP attack. I don't know what I would do if all my electronics went down. I think that I would have a panic attack beacuse I don't know what I would do without my internet and computer.

The threat is real. It is scary that we are so dependent on electronics as a nation. I also heard that we can experience a natural EMP attack from the sun's UV rays. I wish that life wasn't scary with all these threats out there.

I think everyone should be educated on how to survive without power. I also think that every community should have a back up plan in case one of these happens. For example: How would the community provide assistance to the medically needy without electricity? How would we be able to do our jobs that require electronics?

7. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    @Keith H. No disrespect but I think the fact that people have abandoned there belief in God, is why all this is happening. The way the world is today people only think about doing what feels good not what's right. All the death and violence in this world is the after math of a Godless society.
    Our justice system is messed up peoples morality are at a all time low, and most of the predictions in the book of revelations are coming true. We all have the right to believe what we want I can respect that. Still the fact is it's impossible for someone to survive all this hell on earth alone, without some supernatural intervention.

coffee and Morgan101 like this.
  8. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    We are actively preparing for it. I wouldn't say we're done, but that can be said about a lot of things in the prep world. The first step is knowing about the threat as best as possible. There are a lot of good resources available. We've also built a faraday cage and have been stashing equipment in said. This summer, I am planning on turning a steel outbuilding into a faraday cage. Our secondary generator* is stored there, so we'd have power.

* Our primary generator is a whole-house Generac, but we do have a cheap gasoline one too as a backup.

9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    At last we have a leader that agrees with what has been discussed on here forever . Tuesday March 26 ,2019 President Trump signed an executive order directing the federal government of the United States to prepare a plan for an electromagnetic pulse attack from a foreign government . I wonder if Trump is one of our members ? In case you are reading this Donald "welcome aboard " .

coffee, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Do we prepare for EMP? No. Should we prepare for EMP? Probably. A couple of things make me reluctant to think of EMP as a real threat.

From everything I have read " protecting " yourself from EMP is virtually impossible. There are so many variables to the equation I don't know what to prepare for. The EMP generated from a nuclear detonation generates different electronic wavelengths than a mass coronal ejection. Some people say MCE will not effect personal electronics. It will disrupt the electrical grid. A nuclear detonation that is airborne is more devastating than a ground detonation. Will it effect me? I don't know. Depends on where it is detonated. Will an MCE affect me? I don't know. It depends on which part of the Earth it hits directly.

What electronics are you going to save in a Faraday cage? A laptop? An old cell phone? An Ipad? A radio? If those things survive, and that is a big "if", who are you going to communicate with? There are as many You Tube videos on how to make a Faraday cage as Carter has little liver pills. OMG does that show my age. Ask your parents about that term. Who knows if any of them will work? How do you know if they work (your electronics) when nobody is broadcasting?

Maybe I am whistling past the graveyard, but EMP is way down on my list of likely SHTF Scenarios. I put it in the same category as the Super Volcanic Eruption. Possible, but not likely.

I f President Trump did something to improve our readiness I fully support it. Good for him, and good for all of us. The U.S. Government would be the most likely target of an EMP attack. IMHO they need to be prepared for more than the rest of us.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    For those that don't already know ,North Korea just put a deadline on the U.S. lifting sanctions on North Korea .Rocket man says if not lifted military action will be taken at the end of this year . I have said before and will say again N.K. has at least four satellites in orbit over your head at this moment that is in the correct orbit height for an E.M.P. We know they have E.M.P. capable nukes . Some seems to not be able to get their heads wraped around the likely possibility that there are E.M.P. ,s that have already been delivered and are siting over their heads waiting for the correct signal to detonate . Other countries also has this likely in place . As I recently posted "desperate people will do desperate things ".

Sonofliberty, coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just another point or two . North Korea didn't launch their satellites but had this contracted out to another country . I am not sure which country launched the satellites for them . One E.M.P. detonated over Kansas will shut down the entire U.S. power grid for at least one year . The U.S. __ E.M.P. Commison has admitted we have absolutely no defense against such an attack . Sure we can retaliate but that will not change the fact of E.M.P. being successfully delivered and detonated . Every one on here should, be looking at their readiness structure ," especially those living in the United States ". No doubt some on here , rather than prep. to that degree will chose to try to convince themselves it will never happen . Personally , I will not gamble with my family's lives that it will not happen . Some hermit siting in a cave with the right technical equipment could set off E.M.P, ,s at his or her pleasure one at a time at their descreation months apart .

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    They don't have any control over those satellites, and we have no evidence that they have any capability to put a nuke in orbit.

We do know they have a long history of talking a lot and accomplishing nothing.
    I expect more of the same.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey, give the Fat Boy a break. He spent the last 8 years dealing with the wimp. Tough for him to change tactics.

15. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    my information came straight from the head man over the U.S. government agency , set up to access this threat .

coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Do your fences have metal wire in them? if so grounding them every hundred meters or so with a good ground will stop any fires starting metal starposts are good so if you have them it is already done!
    Just being off grid is not enough.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Then he's mistaken.
    North Korea has never demonstrated a capability to get a nuke into orbit.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-satellite-tumbling-in-orbit-u-s-officials-say/

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I can understand some people that will not accept the idea that a E.M.P. can be delivered by satellite . I am not going to argue this issue . This information is easily found on your computer . Just type in E.M.P. satellite on google . There is a good film on this presented on Fox News interviewing the man over the E.M.P. commission discussing this very topic .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I didn't say that.

I said it's not been proven North Korea is capable of doing it.
    Context matters, and actual words matter.

They "discuss" lots of things.
    They don't always tell the truth when talking to the media.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    "Poltiregist"..........It appears that someone neglected to inform you that nearly everyone has put Snyper also known as Snyper 708 (and several other user names) on ignore.

Notice that he never brings anything to the conversation. His pleasure is tormenting other members. He is highly skilled at twisting, and cleverly rewording anything that others say, simply to annoy them.

He rarely if ever on any forum, does he "Start" a new thread on any subject, for discussion. He is not interested in discussion of any subject, his goal is to torment, and annoy others, for him the super prize is if he can torment you into saying something that gets you banned.

Just reread this thread carefully. His goal is simply to "discredit" you. He picks a person or member and he just needles them, and needles them, and needles them. Skillfully twisting what they said. He truly is a master at the (sick) game that he plays.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not too concerned about how an EMP is delivered, there isn't anything I can do to stop it.
    my planning is confined to the aftermath of that attack, with electrics and electronics taken out societal collapse will soon follow.

coffee, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks I will put snyper on my ignore ,

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL
    You're angry because I've caught you contradicting yourself so many times.
    I'm sorry the truth upsets you, but I can document most of the things I say.

Like you're doing now, instead of simply sticking to the actual topic.

I have no need to "twist" the things you say when I can copy, paste and provide links.

24. anniew

anniew Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    The EMP commission was convened and dismissed years ago, and still there has been nothing done.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  25. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    There's little that can be done that would make substantial differences.

Most of the predictions of damage are speculation since there's not been much conclusive real world testing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. anniew

anniew Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    They could harden the grid, or at least have replacement of major parts in faraday type warehouses. I understand most of the major parts are made abroad and it would take a long time to get replacements manufactured and transported here if not already here and available.
    and there are some electronic companies that have their own EMP resistant facilities where they make parts for their products.
    And certainly there is information on what was fried when the Harrington Event occurred that could be useful.
    I speculate, based on my reading that a lot could be done but we just have to invest in the infrastructure.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I read a report that says all the parts for the British grid are made abroad, probably China, and it takes several months to order, make and ship each one, it also said it would take 2 years to replace the entire British grid in the meantime we'd all be sitting in the dark.

28. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    https://www.wired.com/story/the-grid-might-survive-an-electromagnetic-pulse-just-fine/

"OVER THE PAST few years, speculation has risen around whether North Korea or any other nation could detonate a nuclear weapon over the United States that would create an electromagnetic pulse and knock out all electricity for weeks or months. This doomsday hypothesis has been promoted by a former CIA director, a commission set up by Congress, and a book by newsman Ted Koppel.

But a sober new engineering study by industry experts finds that key equipment on the grid can be protected from any such EMP. Even if it could happen, the resulting blackouts would affect a few states but wouldn't turn the US into a backdrop for The Walking Dead."

29. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Right on. You hit the nail on the head. If anyone lacks this knowledge, please pick up a Bible and read the last chapter and also Ezekiel : 38 - 40 (chapters).

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see what relevance some alleged supernatural being has to an EMP, if such a being actually existed wouldn't they stop it?? which only goes to reinforce my belief that they don't(exist).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    and you actually believe anything a government employee says? incredible.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Can you please explain about grounding a metal fence and how it stops any fires starting metal starposts. i am clueless what you are trying to say. PLEASE, explain it for me. thanks, coffee

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    For the last time, pick up the Bible, KJB for example, read the whole thing in order cover to cover, if you do not understand what you read, ask God to show you...give you understanding. Then if you do not, or refuse to believe that God is the eternal creator and Jesus Christ is his only son, who came to earth, born thru a virgin; lived and taught and preached about love, forgiveness, and how to obtain eternal life; died on a cross for the forgiveness of mankinds sins...why??? because God is so holy, he cannot look upon sin, so Jesus shed his blood to cover our sins, and if we believe what he did on that cross, that day, and he was buried in a tomb for 3 days, arose from the dead, stayed for about a month making the disciples (students) into Apostles, who went out to teach the rest of the world how they could be saved... forgiven of their sins, so they could spend eternity in heaven, not in hell..where unbelievers will spend their eternity.

Then if you do all this, you can decide what you choose, and where you wish to spend eternity. But in the meantime....Stop.... passing your judgement on those of us who are followers of Jesus Christ and believe in our creator, God Almighty.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Academy-A-wart

Academy-A-wart Well-Known Member
      70/115

Blog Posts:
    Amen

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Snyper

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I doubt they would have a reason to care at all.
    They could replace it all in the blink of an eye.

36. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    ROTFLMFAO!!!! That is so true. If their lips are moving and sound is coming out chances are good that they are lying!!

37. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    We prepare, to a degree, for an EMP. We're offgrid now so I'm a lot less concerned about a solar flare/E3 pulse but the E1 pulse from a nuclear EMP, as I understand it, could damage a lot of electronics that I'd like to have. I think there's a great many people that look at Faraday cages or electromagnetic shielding in binary thinking, as in "yes it's protected from E1 EMP" or "no it's not". But no shielding is perfect, all we're doing is attenuating the strength of the EM pulse that the protected item receives. Better shielding, greater attenuation, less chance of damage. Whether it's enough depends on the strength of the pulse, the distance from it, the sensitivity of the device (at the component level) and a bunch of other factors. A single layer of tinfoil around a device may attenuate the pulse it receives enough that the device still functions when it otherwise would have been damaged, or it may not. Damaged doesn't mean inoperable either, if the damaged components are (as example) only in the LCD display portion of a laptop then the cpu, memory, and disk could survive and all you need is to attach an external monitor. Just an example, but it's not binary as in "everything in the device works" or "it's completely trashed".

What I do with spare electronic equipment is build nested cages with tinfoil. Wrap in tinfoil a couple layers thick, put that in a paper (non-conductive enclosure) bag, then a second layer of tinfoil around that. Double, or in the case of critical stuff, triple shielded. Each foil enclosure, with the insulator between, is a separate shield which is better than a single, thicker shield. No idea if it will be enough shielding, but if my items are damaged or destroyed then it's a good bet there's not many electronic devices in my area that survived either - so we're not at a disadvantage with others. If our protected items survive, we might have a great advantage however. Bottom line however, it's a crapshoot.

As for what to store, I have two old laptops, two dc/ac inverters, battery chargers, some GMRS/FRS radios, smoke alarms, motion sensors, multimeters, am/fm/sw radios, and some miscellaneous other electronics. I really want those laptops to survive, I have a wealth of data on USB sticks and DVD disks we may want, so they are triple shielded. Everything from medical differential diagnosis manuals to spark plug cross references :)

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  38. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing to me is that I will have no use for a phone, TV, Radio or computer in a world without power. The satalites will be fried and all the cell towers will be fried and powerless. Fuel to opperate generators will be rapidly used up.

If we get hit head on by an X class coronal mass ejection I'm not sure that any level of shielding will protct your stuff. I have all of my information printed out or already in book form. I know what you mean by trying to save that kind of stuff. I have an old microwave that I have stuff stored in. If it survives and things are ever able to power up stuff I will have it. If not it will just be another thing that is GONE.

lonewolf likes this.
  39. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    OK an EMP is just an electro magnetic pulse as it induces a magnetic field in most anything some more than others
    But where it wants to go? it always wants to go to ground and be absorbed by the earth, the longer the length of conductor the higher the voltages generated, by earthing fencing wire every so often the total voltages generated is low and so the current available so little heat generated and a low fire danger, long isolated fence wire runs will produce high voltages and high currents with lots a heat and sparks at the ground points, much higher chance of fires starting
    Using metal starposts in your fencing gives multiple ground/earth points with little danger of fires!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure how many of todays population are able to live without power, the numbers will probably be quite low in the technology age.
    learning to live and adapting to a life without electricity and electronics isn't hard, its a much simpler life, but how many would want to or be capable of it?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    what are fencing 'starposts' ???

42. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Arh I thought that was a given, google "Star Picket"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I troubled you, if you had said a flat or 3-sided metal fence post, I would have understood. I have new heard of the term starpost. So again excuse my not knowing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Rocket man would be committing suicide even as he killed many Americans. Our SLBMs would completely annihilate him and his pissant excuse for a country. OTOH, millions of Americans would die in the first weeks after a successful EMP attack. IMO, the majority of them would be liberals and dhimmirats though. Unfortunately many others would also die. The old, the infirm and the very young probably would also die in large numbers. Many people in the large cities would die of starvation and violence as people fought over very limited food, water, and medical supplies. It would not be pretty.

45. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    No need to be sorry just a little language problem that's all. Sometimes I forget americans speak a different version of English than us Aussies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The biggest problem that any EMP of any size will cause is that the long wires like OldGeeezertalked about basically describes our power lines. Even a relatively minor EMP would pop every fuze on the lines and probably blow up most of the transformers. Even if it wasn't strong enough to fry smaller systems or mess with the cars or computer systems it could take months to replace all of those fuses and transformers.

I don't think that the big cities have months without power, water or sewer operations. I doubt that they even have weeks. Even days would result in looting, fires and probably riots. The more rural areas would be severely inconvenienced in a situation like this. Even a minor EMP caused by a solar flare could cause regional temporary collapses. Talk about a MESS. Imagine if the problems in New Orleans had gone unchecked for a couple of weeks after Katrina with no relief or help! With power and communications down total chaos will rule.

Whether it is an attack or from natural causes will make little difference on the local level. If it was an attack people might not know it for some time or maybe never if I was bad enough. Imagine for a moment. the power and all forms of communication suddenly just HAPPENS. The first assumption by the masses is that it is just a temporary power outage. Many will try to go to work. They are sort of programmed and if nobody tells them to stay at home they probably won't. No power means no gas and no traffic lights. There will be traffic jams that will last indefinitely. No communications mean no cops and no wreckers to get things going after an accident.

The stores will close. they have no way to sell things if they have no power. their cash registers won't work and there is no way that they could do it manually. Credit and debit cards will be useless and most people these days have very little cash on hand. Even checks are getting rare and might not be accepted anyway. After a couple of days, that is going to be a real serious problem for a lot of city people and that will start the riots. Riots will mean fires and no firetrucks will be coming in a hurry. You can't call the police and once the trash figures this out it is going to get even uglier.

If the water systems go down, pumps need power, things are going to get ugly in less than a day!! I have seen this when after a hurricane people were in lines miles long within 24 hours to get bottled water, ice and MREs. If that doesn't happen in a big hurry plan be for many will be TAKE what they NEED and then while they are at it just take anything that they want.

If you are in the city you might not be able to get out. The roads block up in a hurry when you have a few hundred thousand people all with the same panicked thought. People will literally try to evacuate in a car with only a few gallons of gas! They will leave home with a bottle of water and a bag of chips or cookies and that is their preparation!! They are not going to get far and you don't want to be trapped in that mess.

Without the TVs and radios within hours the rumors will start. Within days there will be people believing that we have been nuked, that the aliens finally showed up and are going to eat us, The rapture is upon us, terrorists have wiped out Washington with a nuke. You imagine it and there will be some spreading that sort of stupidity around and driving people into a terrified mob.

47. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Anybody got any prediction whether a chainsaw would survive an E.M.P. ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  48. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Two (or three?) peoples divided by a common language. :)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if the four-stroke models had a CDI or 'black box' that could be susceptible. The two-stroke models less so I'd think.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Coffee the thing that you have to understand is that even Jesus didn't offer up prayers a replacement for preparation and a way to escape problems. A lot of people have tried this and it just doesn't work out very well. I have a first cousin that is a good example. He is an epileptic and has had grand mal seizures occasionally for most of his childhood until he was in his teens. In his teens, the doctors found a mix of drugs that had VERY few side effects that basically stopped the seizures. Later in life in his 20s, he became very involved in a rather extreme Christian group. They convinced him that if he would believe and pray that he didn't need to take that medicine. He stopped it, had a seizure, wrecked his car lost his drivers license and lost his job.

He got back on his medicine and after a year without a seizure he got his drivers license back. After about a year they convinced him again that if he would just have true faith and pray that God would be there for him. He stopped, had a seizure, had a wreck lost his license again. This is NOT the smartest part of my family. He felt so bad as if he somehow had failed his God by not having enough faith. I pointed out to him that TWICE God had offered him a miracle in the medicine that made him well where so many others never are able to be basically CURED of their epilepsy. Maybe his failure was in not understanding and appreciating the gift that he had been given and rather had insisted that his God do MORE for him than just allowing a medical cure. He seems to have found peace in this thought and has gone many decades without trying to force god's hand again.

The gift that God seems to give people is more along the lines of allowing them to find a way to deal with their problems rather than just making those problems go away. This is good because if a parent does everything for their child and never makes them be responsible for their own care and support they become spoiled and useless adults.

He has given us a lot of intelligence and even more knowledge out there that you can learn. It is like swimming. You can learn to do it and practice it or you can pray about it and just depend on god if you fall into deep water. Choosing to learn and prepare in no way means that you don't have faith in God's mercies. It most;y means that you are taking advantage of the gifts he has given you and will handle the little things and leave the big things up to him and truth that you will be given what you need.

EMPs can be a natural act. We have the ABILITY to survive that sort of problem. If you choose not to prepare and be one that survives that does NOT mean that he abandoned you. It probably means that he gave you what you needed. Death isn't a failure. It is a return to whence you came and is the greatest gift of all.

Until it is your time though you need to do your best to take care of yourself and trust that you are never alone and will never be abandoned

Last edited: May 3, 2019