Energy generation.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by rickymuus, Jun 18, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. rickymuus

rickymuus New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering what would be some of the ways to generate energy while in the wild. All gadgets that you will need will need recharging and you are off the grid. What are some of the ways to generate electricity to power your devices?

2. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a difficult question since to answer since most devices come with a plug or some other connector to serve as a mechanism to transport the electricity to the devices' battery. It is difficult but not impossible to generate electricity in the wild since plants, as they decay, break down and release electrons into the ground which can be drawn up and collected with an inode (something you won't typically have in the wild). Peat moss can be a very useful plant source for generating electricity but you would need a method of storing and connecting to it.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I just cannot understand this fixation with having energy/power/electricity.
    mankind has lived without it for millions of years, and will again, but I keep seeing posts time and time again on this and other forums, "must have power, must have power", why? there are other ways of doing things, or will humans just dry up and blow away without power??
    maybe i'm the only one who dosent give a fig about power after the collapse.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be really hard to that with just raw materials. Maybe if you had the knowledge and know-how but for a regular person it'd be damn near impossible.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's what I mean. without power most people seem to just give up.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can get solar panels specifically made for a variety of electrical items. We have one that keeps the battery fully charged in the 4X4. However, there are more important things to be carried in a survival situation than electrical gadgets & solar panels. The idea is to survive in relative comfort, not to die listening to the radio.
    Keith

7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Each to there own, I for one will maintain what tech I can while I can
    I see no reason to walk while I can still ride!
    I see no reason not to have ice in the summer if I can!
    or light at the simple flick of a switch!

8. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    here is one cheap way to get started. Even though people lived without power for millions of years. Don't mean that in today's world using the technology that is currently available that if SHTF we should be without power. If a person have a homestead and prep between a water generator, solar power and having a biodigester on top of remembering that less is more then should have plenty of power when needed.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    trouble is with most of this stuff I am not technically minded enough to know what to do!:p

Zyphir likes this.
  10. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I can see where it may seem daughting. But most of it is low tech and once set up can easily be maintained. There are tons of youtube videos explaining and showing how people all over the world is getting off the grid but still having electricity.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I prefer, and have implemented, a layered approach:

• The home has a whole-house, auto-on, generator powered by a 500 gallon propane tank.
    • For working farther afield, equipment is powered by either farm vehicle (e.g., Kawasaki MULE) or a portable, gasoline generator.
    • Solar, albeit limited now, is used as backup to both. We'll be expanding upon this this summer for a communications project.
    P.S. Portable gasoline, diesel, and kerosene generators can be had very inexpensively these days. That is a good starting point for most.