Engine Oil

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Blitz, Mar 24, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if this suggestion has been posted or not, though I didn't see anything on the subject.

I've got some wood which is really hard. Trying to split it is like trying to cut through concrete with a knife. Anyway, pissing down with rain and I couldn't be bothered to split enough wood to get the fire going this morning and everything is too wet to forage for kindling. So I used crumpled up newspaper dipped in engine oil. I also put some kindling in the engine oil, to sort of use as firestarters. I have to say, it worked brilliantly. It's a bit messy and initially smelly but in a pinch in a situation where you're having trouble getting a fire going, it does the job.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a cabin up north and i dropped three huge trees that were dangerous, so now i have been Turing those trees into fire wood. I have 10 cords so far and will probably end up with another 4-5 cords. the small wood (under 8 inches) is already done but now there is just really big wood 24 inches in diameter. all maple or silver birch. I have been using a hydraulic splitter good for 23 tons, but that is too small for this stuff, I have found a 35 ton splitter and will be renting it soon.

Once this is done i will have all the wood i need for the rest of my life

3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 cords of hickory that's been drying for 3 years now that needs split. Would you like a vacation destination in the lower 48? A lot of this is in the 30 to 40 inch diameter size and I am not looking forward to man handling this onto a splitter. LOL! Probably why it hasn't moved since stacking.

Dale

4. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    moving those beast around is defiantly the hardest part. my friend did come up with a gizmo , you take a 2x4 and put two nails in it and hang straps down from them , then just strap them on . this way no one is lifting 100 lbs all by himself . It would be fun to pay you a visit but the border is closed.

Dalewick likes this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    When Blitz quite posting it was truly missed by me as I considered her a survivalist to take serious . ---- For some of our more recent members , Blitz was living alone in a shack in a remote section of the Australian Out Back .

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Dalewick likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I so miss Blitz also. I worry about her and wish she would write so that we can see how she is doing.

My prayers go out for her. I encourage others to pray for her.