Epipens Still Work 4 Years After Expiration.

Discussion in 'First Aid Kit' started by Correy, May 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    If you have allergies, or feel you need to be prepared on the matter either way, good new, EpiPens are good to work even 4 years after their expiration date. According to the study author Lee Cantrell, professor of medicine and pharmacy at the University of California, San Diego, expired EpiPens and EpiPen Jrs retain more than 90% of their active substance (epinephrine/adrenaline) 4 years after expiration date. 84% after 5 years.

Which is good since EpiPen prices in the US were spiked recently by 400%...Four more year, is four more years.

2. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This news is very good for the people that have allergies. I was appalled when my healthcare insurance teacher told us that the price of an Epipen is around $600. The CEO said that they don't make a lot from the sale of the EpiPen, but I still don't understand the high price. Other generic companies can't even compete because the EpiPen has a patent on the method of delivery of the product for at least another ten years. Of course, I don't think a doctor or pharmacist would straight up tell their patient to take expired medicine, based on what I have learned in school.

3. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Just was reading that up here in Canada they will run out of epipens any day now without new shipments coming in until end of August. They are advising that people if having a reaction should administer the expired epipen and then call 911. This shows you that it is still effective. I’m sure it’s just a way to prevent any lawsuits if it doesn’t work after expiry date.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Epipens are needlessly expensive. In the past you just carried a loaded syringe with epinephrine in it. My Uncle carried them for years and used them effectively a couple of times. He was a carpenter and had a serious problem with wasp stings. I wonder why they got away from that and went to epipens that cost hundreds of dollars?? Oh that's right they are a bunch of greedy bastards. epipens cost 350 dollars and the same amount of epinephrine and a syringe costs 20 dollars. DUH!!

6. KarlSurvivor

KarlSurvivor Active Member
      31/58

Blog Posts:
    The majority of the medication would work even 18 months after the expiration date. Obviously isn't the best option but if you are in a hurry a well preserved and stocked medicine would be useful.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most medicine would still work years after an event, but they probably wont work as well as if they were freshly made.

8. WarHorse52

WarHorse52 Expert Member
      110/115

Blog Posts:
    I worked in house for Merck a while back. Most all meds are good 2 years after exp. date, unless they are a medicine that needs special handling. Best to get a bottle of Epinephrine which should store for a very long time. The epipens will fail a lot faster because of the pen itself, not the medicine. If you get a bottle of Epi, just make sure stored correctly. To learn how long insulin will last past exp date, get a health care professional to call Eli Lilly and ask for off label studies on how long it is good for after exp date. They will be able to provide them with that info.