Essentials For A First Aid Box.

Discussion in 'First Aid Kit' started by Joshmoy, Jul 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    A first aid box is a container or box like case where materials needed for first aid are kept. As we all know, first aid is the immediate treatment given to an injured person before the arrival of a medical personnel, or before the victim is taken to the hospital.

The first aid box could be bought or made. You can also use any improvised container in a case where you can't get the box.

Basic essentials for a first aid box are listed below but not restricted to:

1. Methylated Spirit
    2. Iodine
    3. Bandages (crepe, cotton and triangular)
    4. Syringes
    5. Safety pins
    6. Razor blades
    7. Distilled Water
    8. Plaster
    9. Disposable Gloves
    10. Scissors
    11. Paracetamol or Aspirin
    12. Antiseptic soaps and cream
    13. Balms
    14. Antiseptic spray.

You can also add to the list of essentials in a first aid box. Remember, a quick intervention from you can save a soul.

2. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I usually see a first aid kit in the pharmacy store here with just a bandage, band aid, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and povidone iodine and cotton. Just as simple as that so maybe it is just the basic necessity.

jeager and Joshmoy like this.
  3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    hummmmmmmmmmm??????????????

I need put together a fist aid kit.
    I'm well trained in c.p.r. and first aid.
    As a police officer we were trained and trained again.
    I did c.p.r. three times.
    Killed all three of 'em.
    oooops.:confused:
    Well at least I tried and perhaps gave a bit of comfort to someone on the
    trip to the long dirt nap.:D

Joshmoy likes this.
  4. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    ..............and some people wonder why I'm 5 fries shy of a Happy Meal!

humph, humbug.

5. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Very funny Meager! Do you know actually mean what you said or you're kidding? Also when performing CPR, how many compressions do you do and do you use mouth to mouth resuscitation?

6. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Oh, is this a test of some kind?
    Back in that era we were taught to strike a hard blow over the sternum
    to kick start the heart.
    Bad idea.
    I broke the sternum.
    I felt awful but the e.r. doc said if you don't crack bones you didn't do it hard
    enough.
    Mouth to mouth?
    No.
    We use a plastic device inserted into the throat.
    Protects the primary care giver from pathogens.
    Anyway they had been dead too long for anything to help them.
    Actually I did bring one guy back but brain damage was so extensive
    he died the next day.
    Now be nice.:p

Joshmoy likes this.
  7. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    @goshboy
    I don't do forum tests at the request of newbies.
    Thanks just the same.
    Now be nice.
    I came here to learn and share.

Joshmoy likes this.
  8. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Sorry if it felt like a test jeager. I only asked those questions to see if our training differs. I received a CPR training some time back and over here, its hard to get those oxygen devices except from an ambulance, hospital or clinic. We were trained to pump the heart at a steady pressure 30 times and give mouth to mouth twice. Then if no response, repeat the whole cycle again. That was why I actually asked. No offence meant!

jeager likes this.
  9. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    'so kay bud.
    I don't offend easily.
    Specially over electrons on a computer screen.:D
    I've been shot at, stabbed at, beaten, back broken 4 X and many other physical
    insults.
    I'm Teflon coated these days.:p
    I'm a tad arrogant also.
    I earned that defect of character.:)
    I also carry a gun.:eek:
    Well, ya never know what miscreant might act out.

10. Soum

Soum New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Well thanks for this information, I'm new here but what about if someones get unconscious and didn't wake up by water, then what to do and you are in middle in jungle when there is no one in surrounding and no network on phone

jeager likes this.
  11. zackdsilvis

zackdsilvis New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I see a lot of people talking about stuff for cuts, scrapes, etc. I would suggest stuff to put in your first aid kit for blisters..Those are the worst when you're out in the wilderness.

12. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Like I mentioned in previous threads, it's always good to have a supply of alcohol in your kit as a form of sterilizing an area, the instruments, and your hands if you ever need to do basic surgery like stitching up a wound or cleaning it up. Alcohol is cheap and fast to use too, so if the scenario comes where you do not have access to soap or an abundance of water, alcohol is the way to go. Bandages are also important; although it won't mean much if you can't properly apply it to an injury, so training with that particular item is a must.

13. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Interesting imagination you have there.
    Given your imagined situation someone is gonna die.
    Sometimes some things can't be fixed. It's part of life so get used to it.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Imodium!! You will be eating a lot of things that you are not used to and diarrhea can kill you!
    Sutures. Not all wounds can be fixed with a bandaid!
    Antibiotics! Even a small wound can get infected and finish you off. It isn't like we will be living in the most sanatary conditions.
    Serious pain medicine. If you are wounded you may have to keep moving or DIE!
    A surgical kit so that you can at least try to save someone that is shot.
    Benadryl. If you get stung by something or eat something that you have an allergic reaction to this may save you. A few years ago I got nails by about ten scorpions and the Doc told me to take 7 benadryls. It worked.
    Sudafed. Antihistamines are nice and you will need them.
    Duct tape!! Close a wound in a hurry and move on.

Blitz and Old Geezer like this.
  15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.buyemp.com/product/cardinal-disposable-resuscitator

Will need a bag-valve mask (a.k.a Ambu bag, manufacturers name). Link above has a picture. Find your own best deal. May want both an adult and pediatric mask. For small children, one must have a smaller capacity bag, else the child's lungs could be damaged.
    ==========================================================
    Now look for a Quick-Clot clotting promoting bandage in sealed pack:

http://first-aid-product.com/first-aid-supplies/bandages-and-wound-care/blood-stopper.html
    =========================================================
    http://www.liveactionsafety.com/sof...MIw-6ilqbM1gIVDQeGCh0BQgOWEAQYAiABEgJOKPD_BwE

MUST have a tourniquet, military grade. The following CAT tourniquet is the best:

http://www.combattourniquet.com/

=========================================================
    The following you'll want to talk to emergency personnel / 68 Whiskey about. This is for trained personnel, however you will want to know about this stuff and how important getting these sort of chest injuries fixed fast.

Open chest injury seals -- fixing "sucking chest wounds"

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Medical-Performance-Occlusive-Dressing/dp/B003VSORKC

https://www.google.com/search?sourc....0.25.1949...0j0i131k1j33i160k1.0.SH18Dy3er78

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_chest

If a patient has tension pneumothorax, ventilating that patient without having relieved pneumothorax will most often make the pneumothorax worse -- which is to say that you will kill that person. EMS personnel "dart" the chest to relieve that pressure before intubating the patient. A lung can not only collapse, pressure can build up between the chest wall and the collapsed lung. This will push the heart and pericardial area to the other side of the chest -- you may see the person's trachea shift to the side if it gets bad enough. When the heart moves to the side, it rotates which causes the aorta and pulmonary arteries to twist and have their blood flow shut down = death.

Great quote/rule: "Any pleural injury communicating with the atmosphere via a one way valve [such as a sucking chest wound] that opens on inspiration and closes on expiration will lead to an expanding pneumothorax." An expanding pneumothorax (worsening) will go fatal -- just count on it. They'll die. Dart it or death.

https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/m...on-Pneumothorax-Identification-and-treatment/

If you hear that someone needed a chest tube, here's the procedure. This is for trained personnel only.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  16. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Hey thought this would be a good spot to post this. The other weekend we had the kids at a local animal park and soon after saying don't run down this trail, there are to many roots and rocks to trip on... yep... my youngest son (6) bit it hard and between being covered in the powdery dirt I could see a lot of blood on his knee and elbows. This was part of a Cub Scout outing so I had a little bigger first aid kit than normal in my pack so I set about to calming him and Momma down and got him cleaned up. He had some pretty heavy gouges on his knee and took a bit to get it to stop bleeding.

So lessons learned... I had this kit at an event in the fall where we were doing some training for the older boys and when I got home I let myself get side tracked and forgot to reload things. Then again when we went to leave we were running late and other than looking quick to see it was there, I didn't look and ensure it was ready to go. I totally forgot (until I was looking for them) that I'd used up the povidone wipes and hadn't replaced them. Also I keep a small pack of baby wipes in there and hadn't checked them and found them almost totally dry. But they were clean so I was able to re-wet them with water from my bottle to clean up the wounds and him. I keep a quart and gallon ziploc bags folded and in the kit. Lots of uses like sucking chest wound or maybe having to pick up a persons finger to take along to the hospital. Also works great as a trash bag to toss all the packaging, bloody wipes, etc... I also noted I hadn't replaced my gloves though I wasn't concerned with issues since this was my son. But again, a bad situation if it wasn't my family.

I also found I only had a few smaller band-aids. I hate most off the shelf first aid kits as they seem that is all they are. Buy a 110 pc kit and 99 pcs are band-aids and typically the sized ones you never need. Well with this kit I realized I swung to far the other direction and I didn't have enough sizes, especially large ones. Also, my medical tape was no where to be found . So when I was trying to bandage him up with a no-stick gauze all I had with me to stick it to him was (3) small 1/2" wide 2" long band-aids. Did work sort of ok as the tape.

Luckily as I had just finished up looking at the woeful tape job a park person in a cart came riding by and I saw the "First-Aid" on the side of the cart and flagged her down. She was very friendly, I gave her a quick recap and asked if she had any large bandaids. I sat him on the cart and she asked if I'd cleaned it and I said best I could. She proceeded to pull out a stack of gauze along with something new that I didn't even know existed, Neosporin Cleanser It's marketed for kids but I could see it good for any situation needing wound cleaning. And from how he reacted, it lived up to the claim of no sting. It comes out as a foam. the EMT told me they've been using the bottle all summer and that it typically comes out of their kit 3-4 times a day for boo boos and after almost 4 months of using it, the bottle was still half full. I just bought a 2 pak on Amazon for $7.70 One for the house medicine cabinet and one for the first aid kit. I also ordered some 3x4 Band-aids.

74a9737daafcc253ce41fb390e4b646a.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Good find, good tip --- bad prep habits ---- boo hiss . Thanks for the post. Now I need to go and check my kit.

CountryGuy likes this.
  18. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Good information . Country Guy I see you take your first aid a step or two further than a lot of folks . Just a few days ago I patched up a grandson after a fall . When someone asked me why I had all that stuff I "jokingly " told them I was going to save a lot of money on doctor bills .

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Can you tell me more about "Benadryl"? In Aus we have Benadryl cough syrup but not tablets (as far as I'm aware, anyway). I've never heard of Benadryl being used to combat an allergic reaction. I always thought antihistamines did the trick. Could you elaborate for me?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Benadryl is an antihistamine.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Imodium!! You will be eating a lot of things that you are not used to and diarrhea can kill you!" TexDN

Dysentery is a top killer all around this planet. Historically speaking, in combat zones more men die of dysentery than from being shot by bullets. The number one killer of babies and little kids around this planet is dysentery. Pepto-Bismol also really helps.

Immodium vs. Pepto-Bismol:

https://www.healthline.com/health/diarrhea/Imodium-ad-vs-pepto-bismol#takeaway

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/Pepto-vs-Imodium-for-diarrhea

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  22. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    So why would you need an antihistamine as well?

23. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    You are a wealth of information :)

I think it would be worth carrying both if you have children under 12. For adults, the pepto-dismol sounds the go.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what other brand names it might be sold under in AUS but the primary ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg (antihistamine).

In cases of someone having an allergic reaction, even mild anaphylactic response, Benydryl can counteract the bodies inflammation response. If someone has a bad allergic reaction to insect bites or even foods, gets a rash and swelling from touching something like poison ivy/ oak/ sumac it can help lessen the reaction or even stop it. In those cases I'm sure a larger dose would be needed but you would need to investigate that yourself.

25. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Benadryl here doesn't seem to have that ingredient. It's got Guaiphenesin (100mg) and Bromhexine Hydrochloride (4mg).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like just a Benydryl branded cold medication. I believe the Guaiphenesin is something to loosen flem and help you to cough crap out of your lungs and looking at the other ingredient it's also a cold medication. Do they sell a branded Benydryl Allergy? If not what other allergy meds are available? Look at the active ingredients in them to find one that has the base Diphenhydramine in it. Guessing a little research or ask a pharmacist at a drug store and sure they can point you too it, assuming your TGA doesn't have it restricted.

27. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll go through the medicine I've got and see if anything has that ingredient. There is a problem with some medications (such as Sudafed) being monitored due to ingredients that can be used to make ice. Not sure if that's relevant though. I'll talk to the pharmacist next time I'm in town.

Thanks again.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Same here, the Meth-heads were robbing stores here for the Sudafed (pseudoephedrine hydrochloride) to use it for cooking their crystal meth (or Ice as I guess you all call it). So it could be some over zealous govt official lumped in the Benydryl and it's now behind the counter also.

29. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my general first aid kit, not my field kit, is mostly made up of what Americans call "band aids" as I am great at cutting my fingers with a knife, a saw or a can lid, my "injuries" are of a minor nature and are usually confined to adding a plaster to stop any dirt getting into the wound whilst I continue what I was doing before.

TMT Tactical likes this.