Euthanasia: Are You For Or Against It?

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by WildSpirit, Jul 7, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    4b0XWs_ZosSbeWuCcbkEt4CZ2yDriE74.jpeg
    This is one of the most controversial subjects in the whole world. There is no denying that anything that touches human life doesn't interest people. How would you react if you were in such a situation? Be it as a patient who would have to do this or be responsible for someone else?

I tend to always be a very rational person, but in that case I honestly would not know how to act. :oops:

2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think if the scenario requires it, and it would be the more merciful option (hence the name), I'm all for euthanasia, both if I were the giver or the receiver. Suffering in pain for hours before you die isn't what most people dream of when they go out. With euthanasia the patient gets to call his own time, when he's ready, and he doesn't feel pain or distress during the process. I would honestly rather have it as an option rather than having to uselessly treat someone who has no chance of surviving. Might as well make his last moments peaceful.

3. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Strictly speaking, euthanasia is about letting go of a hopeless situation. But from my religious conviction, I am against it go principle. People in the last stages of affliction have been known to recover from seemingly hopeless situations. Its a benevolent form of murder but its murder by any other name when you come to think of it.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm for euthanasia, but I'm sure the people who would actually have to do the job are against it. Imagine how much trauma a medic who would euthanasize people would feel knowing that he kills people on a daily basis. I certainly wouldn't be able to cope with it.

5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    When my father-in-law was about 65 and just retiring from his job, he suffered a sudden heart attack. They got him to the hospital right away; but he didn't regain consciousness, and they said that if he was going to do so, it should be within the first 24 hours. However, that didn't happen, and the hospital kept him on the life machines.
    When he had another heart attack, they had to put him into a coma to keep him from having more of them; but when he was in such a deep coma, there was no chance at all of his regaining consciousness. Eventually, the hospital had a talk with my mother-in-law and the family, and they determined to take him off of the life-support machines.
    During this time, even though he was uncounscious, my FIL seems to have seizures or heart attacks, or something that gave him great pain. When they took him off of life support, he basically choked to death when his lungs filled up.
    It was a horrible way for someone to die.
    It would have been much better for him if he had died when he first had the heart attack; but barring that, it still would have been much kinder to have given him a shot that ended his suffering than to let him die like he did.
    While I am concerned that this could lead to something like was portrayed in "Solent Green", I still think that it should be allowed in terminal conditions like this, where they know the person is going to die anyway.
    Why let them suffer to death ?
    We do not even do that with our animals when they are dying, they are humanely put down. People should have that option as well.

6. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I am hesitant to make any judgments on individuals in this thread. As for me, I would not want to put my loved one through euthanasia. They got the chance to come to this Earth naturally. Why can't they die naturally? I don't think it's against their dignity to die in pain? If they are near death, euthanasia is pointless anyways. Their pain will go away when they go to the afterlife or nothingness, depending on what you believe. A dying person being able to breathe your last words to you on their deathbed is more important than taking away pain from them. In the end, it's not you that's taking away the pain. It's just the natural process speeding up. I think nature should take its course and not just at my convenience.

7. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I'M
    I'm against painless(Euthanasia) and painful killing All is killing dear This is gaking people's lives it's not Human and I know Doctors do that Often but personally even if the say that they do it to make a patient get some peace It's still killing and I would compare them like other people who kill others with knives or other special weapons, in Short I'm agaist Euthanasia I wish I could stop it from being used.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Pardon me for this comment. My mother was hit by stroke 6 years ago. She is now 84 and bedridden. Half her body is paralyzed. Making matters worse is the loss of her speech. A caregiver tends to her 24/7, feeding her, bathing and all chores because my mother cannot live by herself anymore. My 2 siblings agree with me that it is better for our mother to rest forever than continue suffering. And we are praying for that.

9. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I would not make the decision for another person but both my wife and I have drawn up what is called a living will.
    That is all I will say on the subject.

10. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Don't say sorry about this. It was very brave of you to share something so personal with us.

The subject is really something extremely complicated and no one has the right to judge you or your choices. You always have to think about what is best for the person who is suffering.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    If it is really the choice of the patient, or the person duly appointed to carry out the wish in the event of incapacitation, then I have no problem with that. If the decision was left to a medical board or a government agency, I'd have a big problem with that. The devil is always in the details.

12. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    It seems to be a fair decision. But being fair enough, what can be considered "fair" for a person who is suffering? No one but the person should decide this, however... In the case of euthanasia the person has no will of their own. So, it's all very complicated anyway.

13. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    It's a very complicated decision because not always the person responsible for the person who is sick is the right person to have the final word. I mean, an injustice can easily happen because of it. :oops:

14. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am not going to discuss the contents of a very personal legal document any further.

15. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    If the person legally consents to it then they should have that right. I would rather be euthanized than to live in pure and utter agony with no cure of something or if I'm losing my mind. That's not living and that's not life. It's torture to be brutally honest. My grandmother on my father's side passed from lung and sinus cancer she caused herself- but her last moments were spent in pure and utter agony. I've worked in hospitals and there were many long term patients who wanted to die with dignity but couldn't because of the selfishness of some family members that overrode their rights. My own mother had multiple strokes over the years, came out on the better side of them- but it's a matter of time when she'll get that one stroke that will take away all of her mental functions and she'll be nothing than a vegetable. She already has issues with her speech and certain motor skills.

16. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It's true that euthanasia is a very controversial topic because we all have different views about it. My view would be conservative because I believe that God's thoughts is not our thoughts. It may seems hopeless for us but things that are impossible for us is possible with God. I would never agree in euthanasia instead I would pray for God's will to happen because He alone can give and take life and it's not for me to decide. I know if I let God do His job, I would be free from my conscience to bother me. This is my opinion and we are all entitled to give our opinion regardless if we all agree or not.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  17. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Your belief is your own and others are theirs. It's called choice for a reason and it should exist on the perimeters for that reason. If you want God to take care of you that's your right but I too should have the right to dictate what I want to do with my life and death, especially if I have a degenerative disease that causes suffering and is a burden to my family. Only 6 states at the moment legally allow it (in the form of assisted suicide) which is crazy in my opinion. Nobody should be denied their right to choose what they want or don't want to do with their life and their death.

18. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Euthanasia is about relieving someone of their pain by killing them.

I support euthanasia because what if they are now only alive because of the life support machines they are plugged into and when they wouldn't live a worthwhile life after this? They probably want to end the suffering too and I say we shouldn't stop them from achieving peace.

19. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      175/230

Blog Posts:
    Following

20. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      175/230

Blog Posts:
    Generally when I think on this topic it's in the context of Gubment deciding to cleanse or purge undesirables & whom ever it deems invalid. In that context there are no limits on who, when & under what circumstances it may happen. I am whole heartedly against any such practices....
    That said any individual who is desirous of avoiding a long & Or possibly painfully agonising end should be free to make that choice. That choice being made by the individual, if the want & the need were present, it could be allowed.
    I have been witness to some horrific suffering so my personal picture of mercy, I have no doubt, will differ from others.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  21. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    We treat our pets better than we do our people. If a person is suffering and there is no reasonable hope for recovery WHY would you want to make them and their families suffer through a long, expensive and miserable death? My family knows my wishes. If I am alert just bring me my gun and kiss me good bye! If I'm not then stop treatments, even feeding me, and let me go.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  22. Ystranc

277/345

Blog Posts:
    "Do not resuscitate" orders are legally binding on medical practitioners, if they ignore your decision it can be prosecuted as an assault, in both criminal and civil court. DNRs are also accepted by all major religions since the person has died without intervention. There is no moral criticism that can be made against any person electing for a DNR.
    While I accept that this is not the same as euthanasia it is a path that anyone can choose if you ensure that your doctor and next of kin are aware of your wishes.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  23. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I had to "pull the plug" on my mother 4 years ago. She had a severe case of pneumonia, wouldn't go to the doctor, and as a result wound up in intensive care. By the time I could fly from Arizona to Michigan she had a massive heart attack and was in a coma. I had to take the decision to keep her meat sack alive via machines, or to let her go. I chose to let her go. That wasn't a hard decision to make. Yes, I cared about my mother, but I am also a pragmatist. She, or anything that made her my mom, wasn't there any longer. She was simply a bag of organs on life support.

I was a police officer for three decades. I saw the results of the worst of human depravity, recklessness, and negligence, up close and personal more times than I care to remember. One that sticks out the most is a man who was hit by a drunk driver. His car was in flames by the time I got to the scene of the accident (about 45 seconds as I was only 2 blocks away) and the man was trapped inside the burning vehicle. He was engulfed in flames and screaming. All I could hear were the screams and the heat was so great that my uniform shirt was actually charring as I tried to get to him. I expended TWO fire extinguishers trying to knock the flames back enough to get to his door.

When the fire unit showed u, less than two minutes after I did, they put the flames down and pulled the man out of the car...and somehow...he was still alive...burnt black over his entire body, all I could think of is "If I were in that situation, I would want someone to put me out of my misery".

I tend to think back to WWI and the pilots on both sides who had the choice of burning to death slowly in a shot up Sopwith Camel or Fokker D7 or jumping out of the plane without a parachute...or shooting themselves in the head. They weren't "committing suicide"...they were going to die anyway. They were merely taking the choice of whether or not they were going to die slowly and in agony, or quickly without the agony.

If you bring religion into it...as a Christian, I was taught that Jesus dying on the cross was the propitiation for our sins. He covered them all if we have faith in him and his sacrifice for us on the cross. So, if in fact "suicide" is a sin, it is forgiven and I have to believe the Jesus understands.

If someone has terminal cancer and their death will be one filled with misery and pain that can't be managed by even the most potent of pain medication....let them choose the time. If someone has been paralyzed vis a vis Christopher Reeve and can't even breathe on their own, and all they can do is rely on others for all their care...let them choose their time.

24. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    I took my daughter off life support.

God's Light burns.

Imagine a little boy burning ants with his magnifying glass.

Looking for Mercy in this world?

This isn't just a dark world, it is a sick world.

Think God will look the other way? Friend, he isn't watching in the first place.

Do good. Somebody needs to do so.

25. watcherchris

watcherchris Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Like GS Auto Tech..I do not believe this power should be in the hands of government. For the history of governments is that they tend towards Genocide or more aptly "Democide." Death by your own government.

As to individuals making this decision It is up to them in my mind.

On a personal level I am against it...but for individuals, families ....it is their right and of course responsibility and one to be taken very very seriously.

I do not judge a person or family for making that decision ...that is between them and God..not them and me.

I just don't believe this power should ever be in the hands of government....ever.

My Ham Radio Elmer...the guy who taught me and helped me to get my license...had a stroke and got progressively worse.

He made the decision that if it got bad enough and no chance to get better....and on a machine...to give him sedation and take him off the machine. He lasted about half a day.

That was a courageous man to me...though I am not entirely in favor of it. I believe he did not want to be a burden to his family and wife...and so chose. That is between him and God. I remember him often...for what he taught and encouraged me.

My .02,

Watcherhris