Experience Yields A "best Practices"

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pragmatist, May 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    An example; safe survivalist practice

My experience, even involving the skilled - others are lost causes - is that the weak link of safety is medical / health protection.

At one's shelter in place home, or at work place, it's routine for the skilled - even if supplies, equipment are unreachable in the garage, barn, car port blocked by fallen trees. It's the skills and not the supplies, loss of power (eg electricity, LPG) that determines one's follow-on vacation plans.

For a GOOD - Get out of Dodge - ASAP, if not faster, via private vehicle on public roads, it is the "Rest Area" requiring the utmost of attention. There are more "germs" in those places than a medical research lab.

The public "rest areas" are substantial safety risks. Actually, they're not risks; they're changes. Think of the word "infection"

I'm writing on the presumption, one is leaving early on the GOOD excursion. Otherwise the highway rest areas are supersaturated with vehicles, people and pets. In practical terms, those present are stressed and frequently enough, in altered social settings from what they can usually handle. Many of the people at area will already have adverse health.

Don't let anyone play bumper cars with you. Even the little old lady from Pasadena equivalent pose a danger.

It is nighttime; limited visibility.

Plan for no available gasoline at enroute stations around rest areas. There will be some gasoline with allocations restricted to law enforcement, fire and rescue, emergency management and all their formal organized responders.

Ditto for motels.

My experience is somewhat limited because I avoid these rest areas like the plague - because: pun intended.

2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I have been stuck using rest area toilets from time to time during my extended travels. I carry Lysol spray and antibacterial wipes in with me as a matter of course. I also carry my own toilet paper, just because of experience.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I avoid other people in public areas like the plague.

GrizzlyetteAdams and Sourdough like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Simple sanitary practices go a long way in maintaining health.

I do not use Lysol nor nitrile gloves, however I totally understand where the people who do use these precautions are coming from.

Obviously should a satanically viral contagion befall us, then guess what, putting back masks and gloves and surface biocides and on and on, is a sound survival exercise. And one will NOT be going out and about, therefore all the more reason to have life's necessities stored at home.

During such days, inviting visitors, even family into your home base will be beyond risky. You'll just not be able to be the good host or hostess ... unless you have a death wish for yourself and your family. Invaders must be eliminated and dragged off. Throw the rope you used and the gloves you wore into the hole you dropped the body and do cover. Do not burn contaminated bodies, for the smoke could distribute living viruses.

TMT Tactical, coffee and Sonofliberty like this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    burning a body takes too much wood about a ton for each body, in a large outbreak communal mass graves will be required.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    People simply can't grasp the wisdom of that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We have a super sanitation team. "Grizzly Disposal Systems, Inc."
    (Just leave it outside and they will carry it away, and dispose of problems).

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  8. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I almost asked "what would grizzlyette do with all those bodies?" lol

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha! You are shameless!!!!

But in all seriousness, where I am originally from, alligators would quickly solve the problem.

Also, sharkbait. It's not that far to Grand Isle / Gulf of Mexico from my old stomping grounds.

It does not take long for gators and sharks to remember where "free food" is distributed. Like bears, they will return again and again to the last places they got easy dinners.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  10. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You mean the "Black Hole Lady"...........:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, IBME, this needs 'splaining...

Y'all are baaaad, lol.

12. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    For those who don't know me, or why IBME called me the "Black Hole Lady," here is a little backstory. ;)

I posted this in a thread in another forum (maybe even here somewhere as well):

"I relocated to my BOL alone many years ago, and found it almost sight unseen, using a computer-generated map that was printed in a National Geographic magazine. It showed the world "at night." I looked for the blackest hole I could find that also had the other criteria I wanted. Bingo! The light pollution map was the guiding light for me.

Here is a modern day version of it:
    https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=4&lat=3690653&lon=-9729630&layers=B0FFFFFTFFFF"

13. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Sort of like the "Free Lunch" crowd, who continue to vote Democratic.

14. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    It's funny that those exact same libtards will tell you not to feed wildlife as they might become dependent. None are so blind as a libtard who will not see.

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've seen roadside parks with bathrooms become huge camps for the homeless during a recession here. Thousands of people lost their jobs and then their homes and entire families were living in their cars. At least at the roadside park, they had toilets and a certain amount of protection.

Those were hard times and I learned a lot about people and the government over those years. I learned that some people took those bad times and used them to head off in new directions. They rebounded and prospered even during the recession. Unfortunately, some people seemed to just lay down and quit and totally depended on charity to survive. I learned that the government is great at throwing money at the people that run and caused the mess and nearly totally useless at helping those that have real and immediate needs.

My experience with the Red Cross it that a bunch of VERY well paid people will send a bunch of mostly useless volunteers to a disaster area that mostly get in the way of real workers and try to sell them a cold cup of coffee.

16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish we had a hundred, good in-depth threads about more or less exactly this type of observation and/or experience. No agenda, no judgment, no spin, no blame. Just this is what I witnessed, or what I observed.

What we get is a weighted presentation. Like all of Venezuela is not people living in hell........some have to be living a life of great opulence. I want the whole picture, both sides.

17. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I will have to admit to being guilty as charged. I used the road side rest areas frequently, and wasn't as careful as I should have been. Fortunately, I don't have to use them anymore. My driving is very much reduced, and I will be much better informed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have always like the roadside parks. Part of that has to do with my age. When I was young we regularly would go to local roadside parks and picnic. It was part of the "Sunday" drive that was popular before there was air conditioning. It was nice to take a drive on a summer day with the windows rolled down and then stop in a cool tree-shaded park to have a picnic.

Even when I was older and was working out of town a lot I often would pull into a park and sleep for a while. That is in part because I live in Texas. You can sleep soundly when you sleep with a gun. Our almost habitual carrying of weapons make messing with people at roadside parks more of a hazard than it probably is in other places. I've honestly never had a problem... Much to my shame, there were a few times that I was the problem. I don't deal with a$$holes very well. I should have ignored them or just walked away but that is one of the things that you learn with maturity.