Eye Glasses Question.......plastic Lens Quality

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Jul 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Eye glasses question.......Plastic lens quality....??

I notice my eye glasses, after about 18 months, quickly fill with small cracks.

What is the best material for long life and storage of lens in eye glasses....???

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I hoard my new and outdated glasses. And this issue of fine line stress cracks appears even on new glasses that are not used but stored in a case.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Glass is the most durable. Plastic not so much but you can request a special coating, I think?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You should be a moderator here......

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    ooops I accidentally stuck that info in the wrong place, it was to go into a PM to you.

Branchd did all the work, not me. All I did was make a pest out of myself and sent one screenshot to show what it looked like on my end, after he sent a screenshot of what it looked like on his end.

I appreciate him, Keith, and Lonewolf for all the work they do. (Hattips all around.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  6. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I have had both plastic and glass numerous times over the years. The plastic is far lighter but even with anti scratch coatings I find the plastic scratches pretty easily. I find th3 glass’s little more durable

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can get safety lenses fitted for when you are shooting, but I find that the normal spectacle glass is just fine for normal wear. I carry a copy of 17th century reading spectacles in my waistcoat pocket when trekking & camping.
    8092a89599cd0428f08d798bc9f9bb0d.jpeg 8092a89599cd0428f08d798bc9f9bb0d.jpeg
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    These are not scratches.........They were never used. They get what looks like stress cracks, like hundreds maybe thousands of tiny stress lines. It is in both lenses, on maybe 6 or 8 pair of glasses. Makes it kind'a silly to store them for SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are all manner of specialty lens materials and lens coatings these days.

Me, I always buy two pair of classes at a time. I also keep my older glasses for backup. If your company buys your work glasses every so often, take the company up on their offer! I've accidentally flipped molten solder straight into my company-paid-for safety glasses.

Prepper personalities keep backups. Keep extra glasses. Day before yesterday, I went to my sock drawer and got a backup pair of glasses until I later-on found my regular glasses.

If anybody ever asks you if you are nuts for having backups, then ask them if they keep insurance policies on the things they need. Even if car insurance wasn't mandated, I'd still buy it. Duh!

For sun glasses I buy the clip-on lenses. The amber/yellow color shooting glasses help my wife see better at night. Shooting glasses have all manner of applications. If you scratch them up, so what; buy a couple more pair. How much are your eyes worth to you?!

TMT Tactical, Radar and The Innkeeper like this.
  10. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Glass won't get those stress cracks, unless caused by pressure. Plastic is much more fragile and subject to degradation from age, temperature changes , or environmental influences such as fumes from chemicals, etc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I vote with Inkeeper. I have had the plastic and now I only use glass. As far as shooting, always wear eye protection.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  12. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    A related question: ...

Is there a a decent source for sun / regular glasses - cases - made of eg PVC material ?

Sporty's aviation supply store in the US Midwest somewhere once carried these strong cases. I now need more. Thus ,my question.

TMT Tactical likes this.