Family Survival Involvement?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by BigZirp, Jun 27, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BigZirp

BigZirp Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    How many of you have your family in 100% on survival?

My wife used to think I was nuts. To be honest she has every right. But when it comes to survival i will tell you why she thinks it.

I am a huge horror film fan. I love zombie movies and the thought of a zombie apocalyps.....will it happen? NO! But i think zombies and the thought of an apocalypse makes it fun for me. If i thought about leaving an area because of a flood, massive fire, earthquake etc... my brain would get bored. So making a B.O.B. while thinking about being surrounded by a zombie invasion really gets my creative brain going.

For the longest time my wife thought i was nuts because i would talk about what we need to do in that type of situation, and with a smirk on my face i would mention zombies. Probably is not a good idea. ;)

Last year while camping a friend of mine had his B.O.B. with him. My wife made a comment "are you crazy like my husband and think the world is going to be ruled by zombies?" He laughed and gave her a quick NO! He emplained the whole emergency situation, not the extreme like me, basic natural disasters and such.

Needless to say that conversaion with my friend got my wife on board. Every member of the family has a B.O.B. She has not been 100% about survival techniques yet! My 21 year old daughter still thinks we are all nuts! My 10 year old son.....well he is waiting for zombies with his old man!

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    wife is with me 100% even gives me some ideas as what to do next, she is a countrywoman born and bred.
    I have a prepper friend, same age as me, same attitude as me, his wife and 3 adult sons think he is nuts and they will never change that attitude .

TMT Tactical and BigZirp like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My wife and Daughters are all in agreement that things are unstable and that we need to make preparations to insure our survival. I also have several friends that are inline with us that will probably join us if things go down.

TMT Tactical and BigZirp like this.
  4. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    My family is on board. My daughter likes the sense of security that comes with knowing that we are prepared for just about anything that comes along.

When we had our new home built, one of the things I had to consider was long term backup power. My wife's father was with us due to a terminal illness that required oxygen 24/7. Being a pragmatist, I had our home equipped with a Generac generator that runs on natural gas. We have piped in natural gas, and it is estimated that even in a full SHTF that the lines would be pressurized for as much as 90 days. I also bought three of the BIG propane pigs and had them put on the property and filled against something happening to the gas company. All I need to do is switch between gas lines, and we have power. I have also covered my roof on the house with solar, and recently did the same to my pole barn.

Last August, we had a total power outage due to an overloaded transfer station. The outage lasted 4 days...and we had full electric power including air conditioning the whole time. I treated it as a SHTF Drill and used blackout curtains on the house so no light would show, then I drive the entire 5 mile stretch of dirt road that leads to the dirt road off which we live...and you still couldn't see my home even in the dark of night.

My wife...while at the time was only about 74% on board...came around to being 100% on board and even to the point of looking on the internet for deals on long term storage foods and making huge bulk orders as well.

poltiregist, TMT Tactical and BigZirp like this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    My family like me I guess do not really think that a shtf situation is going to happen any time soon, that said, we have been through survival situations before, & we have the skills. I probably have more skills than the rest, but then that in my interest & I am an old man now.
    We are already living off grid & off all supplied services, & we grow our own food. We have a good supply of other foods in our pantry, we preserve our own foods by drying & bottling plus we make our own sources & chutney.
    The boys know to come home if it all looks like hitting the fan, one son & family is living on the property in our other house, the other two sons & families are not too far away. We all have our own packs & equipment, but we are not planning on leaving our home in the forest unless we have to.
    Keith.

poltiregist, TMT Tactical and BigZirp like this.
  6. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    My wife at first always thought it was a good idea maybe not to the same level as me but wasn’t involved. With the last few years facing wildfire emergencies my wife now is involved with the plans in case I’m at work if evacuations happen. My mother in law has prepared extensively with stocks and planning and is part of my plan.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my wife is a life long countrywoman.
    we don't expect to have to evacuate as we are in a rural area but we have plans if that eventuality ever happened.

8. arctic bill

arctic bill Expert Member
      165/173

Blog Posts:
    my wife thinks i am nuts, but she tolerates my supposed craziness .

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my wife thinks/knows I am anti social but she is with me on the prepping.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We all have guns and will be able to defend ourselves. We also live on the same piece of ground and garden and such together. We are working on getting it all fenced and then I am going to have some goats, chickens, ducks and pot belly pigs. I also want a little duck pond that I can also raise catfish in. We went shooting today.

11. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member
      92/115

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I am a probably on my own, but I have Faith and a whole bunch of determination.

12. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      305/345

Blog Posts:
    Well everyone tells me that they are coming to my house I always say you better bring weapons can goods and some kind of usefulness because if you don't bring all three your not going to get to tend the rabbits.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nobody has said they are coming to my house and long may it remain so!!:p

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. poltiregist

poltiregist Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    As for as my immediate household everyone is on board the survival plan . My wife helps with the goats if need be and never complains about the survival stuff I accumulate , she is big into stocking long term food supplies ., The third member is my 13 year old handicapped grandson " cain,t walk " Most every time we lose electrical power he says "that Chinese man is messing with the power grid again " Or like a few days ago when we lost power said " I wonder if it is an EMP . We are finishing up on building my single "widowed" 36 year old son's log house we built ourselves debt free on our compound . He is survival minded and with a good income if there is any single survivalist ladies out there that would be interested in living in the Arkansas Ozark mountains let me know . My daughter living up the mountain from me , her idea of prepping is having a deep freeze full of venison and a few bags of charcoal for the grill . That's ok though I just dig deeper into my pocket and prep for the whole group . We have already cleared the timber "except for one red oak ' to build a fourth house for a 24 year old single son .

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  15. Oldguy

Oldguy Expert Member
      193/230

Blog Posts:
    Wives!
    Well when they love you they adopt your likes even when they think you are nuts.
    But beware if you lose favour she/he can be your worst nightmare
    Been there done that:mad:

16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:

What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful post! Thank you.

I've had to take one of my kids off life support. Killing is one thing, but ending the life of one you love is soul-killing. I'm of the walking dead.

Ever had some g.d. idiot ask you if you could actually take human life? There are those who can't work with me, I've had complaints. Apparently they made the mistake of looking into my eyes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a survivalist. This is how I was raised. My ancestors didn't know the word "survivalist". Life was survival. They knew no better. They were happier than today's zombies and village idiots. Life was hell, so they sang about it and made up stories to fend off the madness.

Same for my wife. Her mom had to translate for her parents who spoke no English.

My wife is on board. She keeps me from busting our budget. HOWEVER, she saw a cute rifle when shopping with me. WE had to have it. I put a laser site on it for her. Point and shoot. Her eyes twinkle when she fires it. Poor girl; I planted too much in 2018; she canned and canned and canned and we bought a dehydrator and she dried and dried and didn't divorce me. My body's skeleton has taken a turn for the worse (oh, we're talking well past "bad"; saw saw stitch stitch drill drill), so God's Mercy could be her's this 2019. We'll just buy canned goods ... but ... what about a few peppers ... tomatoes maybe ...

coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah, me too...…….twice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      130/173

Blog Posts:
    I have two grown kids, male 33 female 29. Both are armed and well educated enough in outdoor activities, but they live in large cities (Phoenix and Seattle, respectively) where bugging out could be a problem.

My wife is definitely on board; she is the one who finally pushed us both to relocate to a rural homestead, and is all in regarding getting off the grid (well, not completely -- we still like those pensions and social security chex LOL!).

She's the medical person; as a retired RN with interests in herbal remedies, etc., she's the manager of the medicine chest. She is armed, but doesn't like guns that much, loves chickens and goats but doesn't like processing them, doesn't like to drive at night, but is a whiz with our DeWalt compound miter saw. After 27 years of marriage, she brags that she almost has me completely trained.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I think all members of my family condone, or tolerate what I am doing, but they don't take it seriously. It is just Dad's hobby. I have put all of the preparedness plans and supplies together. The things I have asked my wife to do are generally ignored. At this point none of what I have done has affected them. They don't know or care that there are emergency supplies, food , water, shelter, security. They don't see it. They don't use it. They don't pay for it. They don't care. It doesn't affect them one iota.

I think there is a pervasive attitude, especially in this country, that " It won't happen to me. " and until it does people will pay it no heed. One of my all time favorite quotes from Will Rogers: " There are three types of men. One will learn by reading a book. A few will learn by watching others. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Why do you have to wait until disaster strikes before you do something? Even the government tells you to prepare. Why don't you listen?

BigZirp and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    Morgn101, your family sounds like mine. I have draw up the plans for a BOL. I have the supplies and all the needed information but the family are not on the band wagon. They are going to have to pee on the fence.

BigZirp and Morgan101 like this.
  22. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    What are we going to do, TMT? We keep prepping for them; knowing they don't care, but in your heart you know it is the right thing to do. Somewhere in the background I hear Merle Haggard singing Mama Tried.

23. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    We will do what we have been doing. I will continue to prep. I will continue to make the plans and outlines they will need. I can only hope they come to see the light before it SHTF but that is all up to them. I have shared what I can but they must make the final decision. I do not begrudge them their life styles. My job ends with making the plans and offering the help. It is not that they don't care but they have not lived through the tough times and Mr. Murphy has not bitten them on the butt hard enough yet. Think back when we were young and all the good advice we were given and which we ignored. They will have to pee on the fence, just like we did.

BigZirp likes this.
  24. IBME

IBME Expert Member
      140/173

Blog Posts:
    Well...........all as in 100% of my neighbors are hardcore survivalist. And they are all MMA experts. I guess Grizzly Bears are just born with MMA skills.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I seem to hear my late mother saying "pride comes before a fall";)

26. Kranky

Kranky Well-Known Member
      70/115

Blog Posts:
    My hubby thinks it's "cute" and indulges me. But, there has been more than a few times I've had my B.O.B. with me that we inevitably needed something from it. He sliced his hand trying fix his truck on side of the road, I had bandages and ointments. We had the tornado siren go off and ran to the cellar, I grabbed my bag and was way more calm than he was. When working out at our new place, all my camping gear was out there so when he cell phone battery died (the horror!!) I brought out the folding solar panel and saved the day, same with being able to cook a meal out there. So although he indulges me, he see's the benefits. And I'm just getting started. :)

27. poltiregist

poltiregist Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Duncan I suspect your survivability in a real crises is much higher than most , remote location , good neighbors ,milk goat and a team with husband and wife working together , you have come far fast .

TMT Tactical likes this.