Fantasy Preppers And Real Preppers

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by poltiregist, Mar 24, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I will try to pi-- some folks off this morning and different between real preppers and fantasy preppers . A portion of the population seems to have the idea after things deteriorate for enough all their neighbors resources will be free for them to take . Therefore some actually don't go very for with their survival preparations as they think they can simply take someone else's resources as somehow the owners will magically disappear . Perhaps they think the owner of the resources they covet , will just roll over and let the looters take it . Your thoughts ?

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the big things it seems fantasy preppers think , is their neighbors land and livestock will be free for them to just take .

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    all land in Britain is owned by someone, either an individual or an organisation, there is no free land in the UK, even the Moors are owned by someone.
    if you know the owner of that land or the house you covet has died thats one thing, but just looting or scavenging in or on someone's property post collapse may be a fatal decision.

4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have personally witnessed where a government and its citizens were so devastated into poverty that the men would send their wives and daughters out to prostitute themselves each night so as to bring in some money . I recall a story a woman told me . Her husband was sending her out to prostitute nightly and she became pregnant . Even that was acceptable until the baby was born . Apparently the male that had impregnated her was of an undesirable race in their eyes . I don't know what they did with the infant but do know the woman's husband was very angry . -- I tell this true story as this kind of life could be the future of the fantasy preppers . --- Countries that have been devastated such as Venezuela are in the grips of such things . The people living there know the difference between those that prepared and those that may have thought everything would be free forever . -- First hand witnessing such things is another driving force in my survival prepping lifestyle . Fantasying about prepping is not the same thing as prepping .

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dear God, Poltergeist, you and yours have done just fine. Be at peace, brother. You have done your best ... and then some.

Yep, we're in the middle of it now. Me, I'd say that it's thirty+ years late. The Creator has been beyond merciful to us. Wish I were in better health and all. So it goes.

What a Blessing it has been to see younger people prepare for the inevitable.

I'm ready to go.

It is finished. Had a Friend Who said the same.

May the damned be damned and the saved saved.

At the beach, the water goes out three kilometers. I know what is next.

I am happy.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    At this point it really is just a matter of what transpires first . A Nuclear World War Three , Countries financially collapsing , Famine , or unaffordable fuel for transportation or heating homes . Amazing to see people ignoring what is going on and at the same time think they are prepared when they obviously , in reality or not .

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Since you live in fallout-central, it's a good thing that y'all have deep concrete bunkers. When the commies dig-out our silos, the massively hot radiation will be heading straight for where you are living. Too, you guys aren't so far away from nuclear core/first-strike targets. God's speed!

upload_2022-8-8_23-30-58.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was browsing through various sites today looking at what others are doing to prepare . Even those making videos and posting them out there trying to give advice to those they conceive as needing help are giving pathetic advice . A moderate SHTF event maybe most will be able to survive , such as civil unrest as in Civil War or rioting . A prolonged SHTF event " years " with no electricity thus no fuel for transportation or farming or stores , and the half a--ed prepper and sheeple , just aren't likely to survive . --- In present time already 1000's are starving and it's rapidly escalating . So foreseeing the future on this one is easy . So yes sheeple and the half a--ed prepared may find their future not what they imagined . Even the United Nations have tried to warn the people about the looming starvation . --- At the same time no viable survival location for many has been established or no effort to grow food in any significant quantity . Some obviously think they can just go to some public land or waterway and live off the land month after month , so there is no need to prepare . Even Native Americans had a problem with that after the buffalo were killed .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no stockpile of food no matter how large is not likely to last forever, at some point it will all run out, if that is only what someone has, no skills no knowledge , then that is the point at which their luck runs out. okay if its only a minor event but if its the BIG one without power, fuel and empty supermarkets then that is the time that fatalities will escalate.

10. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    For the individual that fantasizes they can simply live off the land I will present some reality examples . In 1818 Major General Andrew Jackson began his campaign of war on the Indians of Florida and adjoining states . He ordered his men to chop down the Indian's fruit trees and destroy their crops in order to starve them into surrendering . It worked they did surrender as they were not planning on to simply live on wildlife and native wild plants .--- Another example In the state of Illinois there is the Cahokia Indian mounds . There are 70 mounds at this site and covers 2,200 acres . It was the largest populated Indian settlement in the now United States . I have climbed those mounds and walked their now barren fields . Though they lived beside the Mississippi river reaping the benefit of its rich delta dirt , fishing numerous dead lakes from the changing of the Mississippi River channels . Their survival wasn't based entirely on gathering wild animals , plants and fish . They grew huge fields of corn in that rich delta dirt . --- Another example the nomadic native American tribes of the Great Plains depended greatly on buffalo for their survival . Realizing this the whites created a market for the buffalo and began the slaughter to exterminate the buffalo . This strategy worked . Without the buffalo the tribes of the great plains surrendered . --- I present this in the unlikely event a member regardless as to whether they are a active member or a silent lurker will , change from an unprepared fantasy outlook and face reality . Survival is indeed possible but serious preparations that go beyond just stuffing back a can of garden seeds and extra food under the bed will be required for what is predicted to be here this winter . Think long term .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Think long term"....Aye, there's the rub!
    I know by my own experience that many so called preppers, especially this side of the pond, are only able to look at it from a short term perspective, they sit and they wait for things to get back to normal so they can get on with their little lives.
    I have lost count of the times I (and others) have been ridiculed and yes Banned from UK prepper forums because people didnt want to hear that maybe SHTF(or whatever you want to call it) might JUST be more than a short blip on the calendar.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  12. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Indeed a lot of people can not handle the truth .

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Ystranc
      Some people need to be introduced to the truth more gently. If they’re given facts that they can accept and that information is built upon gradually with more knowledge that could help them to protect themselves then it is much less likely to overwhelm them.

Ystranc, Sep 22, 2022
  13. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A sad confirmation of my last above post . An old newspaper article that I read , concerning the Native Americans of the Ozarks . The Indians returned this year from their annual buffalo hunt without finding any buffalo . Now is a good time to buy their land .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you can control anyone if you control their food supply.

Ystranc, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  15. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something that I have posted before but I believe deserves re-posting as new members active or unactive may find of interest . When China's released covid virus first started spreading across the United States , hoards of panicked people rushed into my rural habitat . They were compared by one store clerk to which I spoke like a swarm of locust grabbing up everything edible . Many envisioned themselves as being able to live in the isolated woods away from humanity . They parked their automobiles at woodland public lands and fled into the hills with their heavy laden bug out bags . Me and my clan found this behavior by the fantasy survivors hilarious . We knew a few nights of that fantasy and they would be coming back out covered with ticks . It got so bad the Governor of the state stepped in and ordered their automobiles they came in towed off and all public land closed . Not only that , the Governor also decreed renting out of staters a place to sleep such as motels and cabins against the law . This fantasy by those that thought of themselves as preppers / survivalist was short lived . -- I post this not to belittle anyone but with the remote chance it will cause someone to take a realistic approach to prepping / survival .

1. Ystranc
      We had similar issues in Wales until they closed the border and put a 5 mile limit on how far you could travel if it wasn’t for business. In Wales it was mainly to slow the spread of the virus but we were having people thinking they could go all “Bear Grylls” in the woods as well…usually on someone else’s land.

Ystranc, Sep 22, 2022
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there was someone on another forum, retired male nurse I think, who thought post event he was going into the woods and live in a tent with a couple of others, what made this sort of silly was I found out later that this guy had very serious breathing difficulties and had to have oxygen cylinders delivered when he was having regular attacks of the disease, very sad , but also very stupid.
    another one lived in my old home city in a 2nd floor apartment near the harbour, thought he was going to bug out and take over some fantasy country estate (that didnt exist) and lord it over everyone else-who everyone else was or where they came from I'm not sure, I think he was a gamer and based everything on his online activities, he eventually got laughed off the forum.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If they come when local, state, and federal agencies all have done a drop-dead Fred, rob them and take their supplies.

Most of the dweebs are not armed and if they are, they are not practiced in the use of their weapons.

A person does NOT have firearms usage burned into their neurocircuitry until they've gone through at least 10,000 rounds of ammo. Just one .22 target pistol I own, I'd put between 500 and 1,500 rnd.s through it per year (there was a lot of variation due to what I was putting through other firearms).

I was making dang good money at the time and ammo back then was cheap, so I was out at the range at least a couple of weekends per month -- even during winter if I could get up to that mountain range or to the range in my own county (BAD roads -- needed serious ground clearance on your truck). The county range I'd go to with a work-mate who was a REAL gun nut -- design engineer (SMART-smart, not just smart; I just kept my mouth shut and listen to him, brilliant fellow he was; God rest his soul), milled & heat-treated his own receivers. WAY back when I was in high school, each year we'd put hundreds and hundreds of rounds through our rifles at our school's rifle range. Coach / range-master was a battalion Sgt-Major; wounded in Korea (shrapnel to knee; but he had zero limp), he then did 3 tours in Vietnam, Army Intel. Were we boys disciplined? Oh hell yes. Keep your mouth shut and do as you are instructed.

If one doesn't have their weapons burned into their CNS wiring, then they are as good as dead. No discipline = death.

The weak are going to die anyway. "Waste not, want not."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    First I will say this post is not directed directly at any individual . As I expected when things began to crumble many of those that thought they were prepared are now realizing they prepared for the wrong scenario . What I find tragic is those that put 90% of their prepping effort into guns and amo with the anticipation of getting to shoot their neighbors . Not any or very little self sufficient living preparations were invested in . Now we are facing run away inflation , closing businesses and the jobs they carried . Even the ability to purchase food at any price is daunting in some countries . The desperation of those that touted themselves as preppers is showing . So for , these insufficiently prepared seem to be lashing out at those that prepared themselves for self-sufficiency . --- A choice of life was made probably many years ago , go after the big bucks and live in a high populated environment or subsist on less money in a rural area where survival critters and growing food was feasible . The crisis is now here and property prices have skyrocketed , making that transition from city boy to backwoods living out of reach for many . They waited too long , trying to make a few more dollars before they moved to their dreamed of survival acreages .

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Even the sheeple in the UK with the rising cost of living are beginning to realise that having a store of more than just biscuits and crisps might just be a good thing, if only to combat rising prices and empty shelves in the supermarket.
    during the pandemic a lot of people started growing their own food, if only because there wasnt anything else to do during the lockdowns, unfortunately that all stopped when they went back to work, even the dogs they bought during lockdown were sent back to the rescue centres when work resumed. probably more will be turfed out because of the cost of living crisis.
    oh well, once a sheeple always a sheeple.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you only have to look at the number of people who use Food Banks these days, these are the people who will not survive any sort of event that is more than short term, in a SHTF event donations to food banks will dwindle and stop, then these people will have nothing to eat.

21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Said it before. This coming winter, this coming year 2023, is going to be BAD. Things are going to get unbearable for the spoiled masses and people are going to go past just angry on into fury. NOBODY is coming to terms with how bad things are going to go. Currently, it is all talk. Very soon we'll see food thefts and people going violent in their protest marches. Rolling blackouts in England and the Continent are not going to go over well at all. Alcohol-soaked corn cob rubbing raw inflamed hemorrhoids ANGER :mad::mad::mad::mad:

When people's parents and grandparents suffer, even die, the emotions will go beyond turbo. People don't want to hear their little kids say, "Mommy, I'm cold!" Men being angry is one thing. Making mommies mad is thermonuclear.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it is said over here that when we have a hot summer, like the one this year, then we will have a cold winter, couple that with the warning that we could have 10 day long electricity power cuts then it all gets very interesting.

23. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    World War 3 , famine , financial Armagedon , drought and floods , supply chain failures , closing businesses and government sponsored injection murders . What a time for preppers . Hell for those that failed to prepare for this .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    We live in interesting times, more than interesting for those unprepared with their heads in the sand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fire and brimstone

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  26. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    An annalist as to what a prepper is . They try to predict the future so they can " prepare " for the future .they are looking for the most negative and need to prepare scenario's so they can be properly " prepared for when the event arises " . I bring this up to point out the discrepancy found on the thread " United Kingdom " . If someone finds a need to " go into denial " or as quoted on the United Kingdom thread " condemn it as being fear mongering " something doesn't fit into the thinking of a prepper . There are many examples of this non- prepper thinking I could point out . Why would someone want to visit this forum if they can't handle the presentation of " horrific and bad things " that might be the future .

1. Ystranc
      I hope you meant analysis…an annalist sounds really sketchy;)

Ystranc, Oct 6, 2022
  27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I disagree that preppers are being negative , we look for threats and risks , so that we can prepare for them, thats being positive.
    some people prepare for the normal risks in their area and leave it at that, some prepare for more unconventional risks, and some dont prepare at all.
    prepping is after all a personal choice, and what one prepares for is personal too.

28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Preppers need little effort to find things for which to prep.

My wife and I have had a life fraught with all manner of dark misfortune and death of our most beloved. We've never been bored. It's been heaven or hell and not much in between.

In life, floods and horrible weather happens. Western fiat currencies have, so far, lasted longer than anyone could have predicted -- all we have now is "pretend money". Wars in every configuration happen. Bad crop years happen -- this is one of them and add to this the Russian invasion of Ukraine cutting off grain shipments. Power grids go down. On and on ...

If the sun blows a gasket in our direction, we'll all be cooked. Not much one can do about that.

But short of a planet-killer, there's a lot we can do to get by during hellish times. Much of my prepping now is for my family's younger generations.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my parents went through a world war, post WW2 they made sure they never ran out of anything but so did everyone else, it wasnt called prepping-the word hadnt been invented then- they called it common sense, something that is no longer common in the modern world.

30. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    What we are seeing is a clash between the prepared and unprepared for the dark days ahead . Fantasy and denying won't help much for the increasing reality of the SHTF situation the planet is now entering . The beginnings of panic perhaps . :(

31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bingo.

Mass urbanization has caused the breakdown of civilization, plus common sense seems to have utterly vanished.

What is male? What is female? When society has trouble answering such questions, then civilized behavior is dead.

How many urbanites have ever killed for food? How many urbanites have ever grown their own food? Precious few = game over, fin, tot, dead when things go sideways. Very few urbanites have enough food a home to last them one week.

Worse, people don't think they have to worry about food. "Nothing is going to go that bad!" "The government will take care of the people in times of emergency."

And Germans buying stupid electric heaters for this winter. Dear lord how ignorant! I can't feel sorry for people who are terminally stupid. Call me cruel.

32. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think this is the core of the issue. Common sense (a rare thing these years) is the solution to most things. In my parents' day we always had a decent torch and spare batteries -my Mum & Dad did not just "assume" that the lights would be on all winter. It was just the way it was. There was always a box of candles and some matches. In 1974 the UK had a series of power strikes. Mum always had the candles ready and I can clearly remember her switching the torch on while she lit the candles and we had light - no problem at all. I would wager than half the households in the UK do not have a torch and many of those who do will only have it as an app on their mobile phone (which is self defeating in that it runs the phone battery down, limiting communication possibilities). It does not seem that far fetched to keep a couple of torches and a few more batteries than the average person. By doing things this way fire risk is minimised and yet lighting is assured. I don't think that qualifies as prepping, just as common sense as Lonewolf has said in his post. How far ones takes "prepping" is a personal choice, but surely any person with common sense keeps a bit of spare food, a few spare toilet rolls etc at the very least, it's that same thing in my view.

33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most workers had common sense and used their initiative, nowadays they are only allowed to do whats "on the chit".
    even out here in the countryside very few people have flashlights and the only candles they have are the smelly ones they use at Christmas.

34. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I agree. It makes me wonder where common sense went. It has certainly declined in our lifetimes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    modern life has removed the need for common sense, now its all about health and safety and being woke.

36. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There is also a tendency for the majority to find someone to blame. If someone is shot or stabbed it never gets blamed on one criminal who couldn’t control them self…it’s all knives are bad, ban them…all guns are bad, make them illegal…of course the criminals are going to obey these stupid rules aren’t they…NOT.
    Something bad happens and they need to hold public enquiries, apportion blame and bring in some meaningless legislation rather than fix the problem.

37. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm OCD and the wifer and I have had TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority, gov. power) as our electricity source. Our power used to go out all the time.

So, I'm overstocked on lighting. We have candles, but also over 22 lb / 10 kilo of paraffin and lots of wicking to make our own future candles. We have at least 4 very good kerosene lamps, plus some others. I keep kerosene out in the shed.

British "torch" = American "flashlight"

I don't know how many flashlights and how many boxes of batteries we have. Two in the bedroom. One in the bathroom. One here in my office. More in the other rooms, plus a big lantern for going outside at night. PLUS, LED mega-lights. One doesn't use the higher settings on those. Then there are the motion-detector lights on the corners of my house.

The dog is for hearing what we cannot hear and smelling that which we cannot smell. It runs on bags of dog food, scraps, and any meat we've let go too old.

Always be in the shadows and light-up your enemies.

38. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    You make a very good point Ystranc. We have developed a blame culture that does not account for "individuality". I remember some years back watching Channel 5's "The Wright Stuff" (sadly now replaced by the mediocre "Jeremy Vine Show") and comedienne And Osho was a guest. She had been a prison warder and then a prison psychologist. She made th point that poem people are just "bad" - no extraneous circumstances, just bad, and that all the reasoning in the world could not account for it. I think that idea captures the idea of individual very well, we are all incredibly similar but also different in so many ways. The idea of "blame" that we are now seeing in terms of the emerging "blame culture" seems to be rooted in the idea that we are all the same and, hence, must conform. Ina way it is a form of mind control that is imposed. Historically we have seen what an imposed mid control can do to a population (persecution the Jews under Hitler's Nazi Germany, the persecution of New Age Travellers in the Uk in the 1980s etc). I would argue that blame culture does not encourage individuality and stifles expression. We see a similar phenomenon is "wokeism" where we are all expecting to think in a certain way. It is a dangerous precedent.