New Member Faraday Cage ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by arctic bill, Jul 2, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. arctic bill

arctic bill Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Faraday cage ? i read recently that if you put some electronic device in a faraday cage if there is a emp or electromagnetic pulse then the items inside it would be protected ? does anyone here know about this stuff and can give reliable information . what about a car ? would it work if it was in a faraday cage

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If the car is built of steel it's chassis is effectively a Faraday cage and your car should be fine as long as the engine is turned off and delicate electrical components isolated from the chassis during an EMP. Any conductive metal box can be used as a Faraday cage as long as the contents or delicate components are insulated/isolated from the outer metal casing. There is some debate over whether the box needs to be earthed (grounded) but I prefer to earth mine.
    Mesh can also be used, I'm unsure what size mesh/gauge wire would be needed for it to be effective because I have no idea of the magnitude of surge it will need to handle but again it needs to be able to conduct the surge around whatever it is you are protecting.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    So what do you think we would have to do to accomplish this Y? Would disconnecting the earth strap from engine to chassis be enough, or would one have to disconnect wiring harnesses?
    Keith.

Ystranc likes this.
  4. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    Okay, I did a quick search. This is what I came up with:

We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively . Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries.

https://jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-prepare-your-car-to-handle-an-emp-and-why-you-shouldnt-bother
    Keith.

Ystranc likes this.
  5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Nice bit of research Keith, as far as I know turning off the engine at the ignition is enough to isolate most vehicles. I guess that research backs that up.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Keith H. likes this.
  6. Keith H.

375/460

Blog Posts:
    9dcb64e2b8f96042f8503bfe2081b603.png
    Keith.

7. arctic bill

arctic bill Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts: