Favorite Dystopian/Apocalyptic Novels

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by ziskasun, Jun 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking for some good book ideas. I have read many of the "popular" dystopian novels (like Hunger Games) One of my favorite series has always been Left Behind (an oldie but goodie). Along these lines, do you have any ideas/suggestions? What books have you read that you found engaging or memorable?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Hmm. Have you read Dune? It's pretty much the mother of post-apocalyptic novels. There's also the Ender series by Orson Scott Card, the Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (I think it became a series), the I, Robot series, stuff by Philip K. Dick, George Orwell (1984, for example), Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (not exactly post-apocalyptic but definitely has dystopian elements). Oh, and the Maze Runner series is also fantastic.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    How about Robinson Crusoe.
    Keith.

4. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    These are some great ideas thanks! I have read 1984 and the Ender series. I have never read Fahrenheit 451 or Dune. I think I might try those. I've actually never heard of The Windup Girl, is it new? Robinson Crusoe...what a good idea. I read it as a child but maybe it is time for a re-read. I think reading is a great hobby. It's always easy to have a book with me to read in spare moments.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing to remember about Robinson Crusoe, is that although partly fiction, it was based on a true story, & it was written in the 18th century. By this I mean the writer, Daniel Defoe, was of this period. There is a part in the story where Crusoe explains how he makes fire with a musket lock. Now I have known of this method for a long time, & have made fire in the same way myself, but what was interesting was the fact that he had removed the lock from a broken musket & carried just the lock with him, & he called it his "Tinderbox". This was new to me, & insinuates that the tools for making fire can also be referred to as tinderbox as well as the actual tinderbox item itself. This helps me now when researching.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is an original 17th century Miquilet lock that could be used to make fire.