Favorite food while on a hike?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by acheno84, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm always looking for other types of food products that I can keep in my pack while on adventures both long and short. What do you keep in your food pack that is your absolute favorite item, and why? What was the worst thing that you brought along with you and why? I'm not really looking for adventure-specific types; just want to see what you all are eating :)

2. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you one of the best snacks is kind bars the strong version. If your not into spicy food avoid the jalapeno one. But these are packed with protein and are delicious. I think this is by far better than trail mix. This is what I would take with me.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is not my idea but my husband's who is well-versed when it comes to adventure trips, camping, hunting. His favorite is the raisins especially the small box of Sun-Maid raisins. He loved raisins since he was in grade school and although he rarely eats raisins now but rest assured that he's got at least a pack when he goes out of town. It is a good meal, he said, that is good for his gastritis - he gets air in his stomach when he gets hungry which causes him to burp painfully. And aside from the raisins, he would also be bringing some nuts like almond or whatever nut is available.

Clearly said, you can survive with the fruit and nut idea although they are preserved. But if you can find in the wilds some fresh fruit and nuts then I guess that would be the best diet you can have... aside from the barbecue, of course.

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    MY mrs makes a trail mix its like wheat and rice chex mix you get at a party with dried fruit added placed in ziplock qt sized baggies. Lol it gets ate to fast to know if it has shelf life

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, after a long day of hiking, food in general, was very good. I guess my favorite was things like Lipton Sides or macaroni and cheese. The warm, flavored noodles were delicious and very filling. Ramen was good too. When you've been hiking all day, food is really all your thinking about when it is time to set up camp.

6. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I like taking things like fruits and veggies. Apples, berries, and peaches are some of the fruits I take. I also like to take peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and celery. These are always good for snacking. I also usually take some chocolate like a Hershey bar or something, depending on how hot it is. If it is to hot I put it in with a little cooly pack.

7. chelsknits

chelsknits New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty boring when it comes to this kind of thing. I like trail mix and beef jerky (or any kind of jerky really, it just depends on what looks good at the store). I typically make my own trail mix by buying different nuts, dried fruits, yogurt covered raisins, some kind of chocolate, and pretzels. I've recently gotten into eating granola too. Kashi Go Lean Crunch makes a great snack but I'm planning on experimenting with homemade versions of it since it would be much cheaper.

tilburkj likes this.
  8. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I usually like to make my own trail mix. It consists of the standard nuts/raisins/m&m's, etc but sometimes I like to bake them in the oven with some honey and make my own granola bar. If I'm not in the mood for making my own stuff then usually I'll go for Nature Valley's products or Kind Bars.

9. tilburkj

tilburkj New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Natural oils! Think peanut butter, coconut, or anything that's easily stored in a portable container. I have horrendous blood sugar issues and oils have truly saved my life. My favorite energy nosh is a protein bar with a bit of coconut oil. Tasty!

10. tilburkj

tilburkj New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I LOVE jerky! Have you tried that crazy berry-flavored kind yet? I think the brand is "KRAVE" and it's absolutely divine! Plus, no nitrates, so my migraines are kept at bay. ;)

11. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would probably bring fruit as they are refreshing. Fruit like purple grapes, oranges, and strawberries.

12. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I honestly think trail mix, or any type of bars that has the flavors of trail mix is the worst on any hike, not knocking your choice by the way.

If I know that I'm not stranded, and I'm going to be home in a few days anyway, I'm packing cereal bars. Those bars are so damn delicious, I can't see why people would always prefer the typical stuff that survivors think is best. No need to be serious all the time, especially if your just camping out or hiking for a day or two.

13. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    When I go hiking, I appreciate good jerky for protein. I also like raisins for the sugar and a bit of a vitamin boost.
    These two simple items keeps me energized and moving all day (with water of course).

14. toughtrasher

toughtrasher New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I usually like to stuff my backpack with a lot of food, keeping it varied. I like natural stuff, especially on a hike as it makes me feel more with nature, if that makes sense. Things like veggies (I love carrots, celery sticks, etc.), fruits, trail mix, and sometimes the good ol' beef jerky. I can't make my own jerky, though.

15. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I go with fruit for a hike it helps keep me hydrated, and it's light. I don't do well on hikes when I have a full stomach, I move much slower. I bring lots of water with me and healthy snacks like nuts and dates. I will even make my own trail mix with nuts raisins, seeds, and dates.