Favorite Knife Style

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BigZirp, Nov 15, 2017.

Favorite Knife Style 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. BigZirp

BigZirp Well-Known Member
      85/115

Blog Posts:
    There are all kinds of knives out there from folding pocket knives and fixed straight blades to punch daggers and butterfly knives to machetes and survival knives. Then you have different blade styles on top of that, straight blade, curved blade, serrated, karambit etc.... What is your favorite knife and why? ***I'm not talking about everyday carry I am asking over all***

wildgearing.com likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Bowie Knife.

BigZirp likes this.
  3. BigZirp

85/115

Blog Posts:
    Any particular reason?

4. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    it just happens to be my favourite knife, what we here would call a sheath knife(general term) and one I am most familiar with and the type of knife I've had most of my life.

BigZirp likes this.
  5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Swedish Mora steel clipper knife because it's extremely versatile. My every day carry is a Swiss Army knife.

omegaman and BigZirp like this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My every day carry is a small 2 bladed buck pocket knife sharpe and sturdy made i use this 95% of the time when i need a knife i clean deer elk and small game in field with this as well as every day chores i allso carry a leatherman multi tool on my belt but rarely use the knife blade as the small pocket knife works better you dont kneed a large knife for most chores and work just a well made sharpe one

Ystranc and BigZirp like this.
  7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My knifes are old well used but not abused. Im a firm beliver in the right tool for the job the misuse of a tool is accident waiting to happen after shtf a accident is not a thing you want to happen. Use your tools correctly safely

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Kershaw, made in America, assisted opening (flick open, super fast):
    https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?madeinusa=12&openingSystem=71
    "Leek" line = small / handy
    "Shallot" = tad larger
    "Chive" = very small, very concealable -- think shark's tooth

Buck, Pathfinder 105, 5" blade, thin blade, strong spine, needs handle wrapped so it won't go slick w/blood, stabs deep without undo effort, comes right back out to be ready for next strike. Blade curve matches arc of arm -- as does the Buck 118 Personal knife.

BigZirp likes this.
  9. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    flick knives are illegal in the UK.

BigZirp likes this.
  10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Peple belive since they can buy them that flick knifes switchlades daggers are legal in usa but they are not check out law from 1958 passed by feds and local state laws

BigZirp likes this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    For a sheath knife I generally go with a Clip point Bowie. It offers a good sharp point and is generally heavy enough to use as a chopper or for batoning in the larger sizes. Even in the smaller sheath knives I like that same general shape. On my bigger bowies I do a variable grind that gives a shaving edge near the hand and a stronger hacking edge farther out. I do much the same on the point and curve making the part nearest the point very sharp and then widening out the edge as it moves into the curve.

For a pocket knife I usually go with the single blade assisted openers. I agree that the Kershaws are great and have several of them.

For a folder on my belt I like the Leatherman tools or the Victorinox Trekker sized multi blade knives.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    BigZirp likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    One assists a flick-open knife. A switchblade opens with the push of a button and the spring deploys the blade.

My dad's dad had two guys on two different occasions pull a knife on him. One guy backed off when Pap pulled his revolver. The other guy stayed stupid, so he caught a round through his family jewels.

When stabbing someone, stick them in the groin to cut the femoral artery, or stab them in the anus to open up the rectal venous plexus. The enemy will bleed like a stuck hog and likely not be able to scream. To stab something as big and tough as a human you gotta hit with all the strength in your body. For the ladies, if you are grabbed, back-stab with all your strength, with all the anger you've ever felt, with ZERO fear, with ZERO compassion, and put that blade right into their groin -- if Satan vomits watching your gore-fest, you've done something right. Then, repeat, repeat, repeat. Stabbing like you are poking a stick doesn't work. Your fist is a hammer, put a knife into your fist/hammer, and slam, slam, slam, slam. If your enemy pauses, you run. Ladies, you gotta kick off your shoes if they won't permit you to run.

My dad used to beat men with his blackjack. He was never violent around my mom nor me -- just whippings, which I deserved. My mom's dad almost got beat to death by his dad.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    At least in Texas, back when such things mattered, an assisted opening knife was not classified as a switch blade because you have to physically start the blade motion by hand. I always thought the switchblade and balisong knife bans were especially stupid because I could open a 110 buck knife one handed just as fast and didn't need a spring to do it.

Now everything is pretty much legal. They finally figured out that with so many people carrying guns that it was pretty stupid to have laws about little pig stickers and swords. Most switchblades that there used to be when they were illegal were extremely poor quality. I might be interested in one if I could find one that was well made with decent steel in the blade.

BigZirp likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Down South in tobacco country where I was raised, one knife I'd see young men carrying all the time was a hawkbill. Kentucky, Tennessee, N.Carolina, and Virginia were heavy into producing tobacco. Come harvesting time, the knife for cutting tobacco at the base was the hawkbill. You'd cut the tobacco and hang it upside down by the stalk in big barns -- three, even four, stories of beams would be the money-maker. And there was money to be made if you could work hours on end.

I knew a fellow who fell from the top and he bounced off the beams like a pinball. Broke a bunch of ribs he did, but he lived. Stout as an ox, built like a fireplug. Him and his brothers were sought by the ladies. Me, I'd a been lying dead on the barn floor.

Here's some links to show these knives:

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/KC-3136.jpg

http://www.frostcutlery.com/images/products/z_016.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/LL7tADnStJc/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/a0/53/b7a053814a448a7150e675e5b740d3c6.jpg

https://www.top-gear.co.nz/ic/67023... Knife - Black Zytel Handle Model 02616.1.JPG

http://www.vahistorical.org/sites/d...VHE_Rural-Life_CuttingTobacco.2000.186.93.jpg

http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/encore/ncgre000/00000001/00000841/00000841_ac_0001.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fe/13/30/fe13301494e494b37ddcd1565f649644--stick-crafts-photo-archive.jpg

https://mountainx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/K703-8.jpg

https://gwentuinman.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/chopping_burley_tobacco.jpg

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/agriculture/graphics/tobaccoauction.png

https://www.groupon.com/latest-deals/gg-whetstone-hawkbill-blade-ss-folding-knife

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/97/d6/c6/...b15--appalachian-mountains-vintage-photos.jpg

Now you didn't have to work on Sundays. On Sundays you got to relax and go to church:

Memories weigh a whole lot.

BigZirp likes this.
  15. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    wood handled carbon steel butcher knife.

BigZirp likes this.
  16. Bishop

Bishop Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Trapper pocket knife

Cold steel two handed machete

BigZirp likes this.
  17. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      175/230

Blog Posts:
    I've always been partial to Tanto style knives. Mostly cause I like the looks.
    I agree with right tool for right job so I like to select proper blade for the work at hand. I freely admit I have damaged or even abused many blades. That said, for everyday pocket carry I've opted for a STANLEY 10-049. Replaceable stainless razor knife. It serves me very well. Cheap & rugged, simple & sharp.
    I know, I know it's not a long term survival blade but using this keeps me from tearing up my really good knives.

BigZirp likes this.
  18. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A wooden training sword called a bokken is a awesome weapon in it own right a good bokken made of walnut hickory or oak is a grat weaon you can put a mandown quickly with one mines home made from hickory and has never failed to do its job. My ninja sword is a chea one has a fair edged tanto blade but id put more faith in the bokken over it due to the quality of its blade

19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    One of the great things about knives is that there is a knife that is specifically made for doing just about every different trade or task. I have a sailor's knife that I use a lot that has the things that a sailor would need like a marlin spike for splicing ropes and a shackle wrench. The swiss army knife is an answer to a specific need. Every time I think I have at least one of every kind of knife there is I run into a dozen more.

Among my knives the ones that I think are especially worthwhile and worth mention are the Openel folders. They are cheap and yet have some of the best steel in the industry. They are also very light in your pocket and last well. One the belt you can't really find much bad to say about the Mora line of Swedish knives. Low price great steel whether you pick the Stainless, or Carbon steel and a lot of choices having to do with the weight, length and thickness of the blade.

A lot of people think that you can't get a good knife without spending a lot of money but that is a crock. There are a lot of good knives out there that will get the job done for a reasonable price. The quality of a lot of the stuff coming out of China these days is surprising.

BigZirp likes this.
  20. AlexanderPain

AlexanderPain Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I like assisted opening folding knives. I have several that I carry regularly. They are helpful for self defense and they are useful for lots of minor tasks. In the city, a big ass fixed blade knife would have everyone wondering if you were Crocodile Dundee.

BigZirp likes this.
  21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    A knife with a blade much over 6" is a pain in the butt to carry when you are not hunting. That said though since they totally legalized ANY knife all the way up to swords for legal carry I have noticed a lot of big knives beginning to make an appearance on younger guys. It is a bit of a style statement I guess.

In Texas we have always been knife carriers though. In High School nearly every guy carried a buck knife in their hip pocket. I remember when it was stylish to carry those Buck 110s on fancy leather holsters on the belt so it isn't something new for people in the more less than urban areas to carry knives openly. I often carry a buck shieth knife even when I'm just running around these days.

BigZirp likes this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Old Geezer is right about those hawk billed knives. I have a couple of Swiss Army knives with hawk billed blades and they are great working knives. I also like the folding claw knives that are very similar. This is the one form of blade that I really like when it is serrated. For cutting rope or hose and such it can't be beat.

Since I mentioned this I want to go off topic a little bit here. (I know, Big shock DanL is not staying on topic!!!!) Anyway, I have recently run into several people making statements to the effect that serrated knives can't be sharpened effectively. Just in case some of you don't know how I want to explain that sharpening these blades is SIMPLE and much easier than sharpening a straight blade. You just need a slightly different tool for doing it.

These are the two tools that I most often use.

https://www.amazon.com/BlizeTec-Kni...8-11&keywords=pocket+knife+and+hook+sharpener

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-P...2-spons&keywords=pocket+knife+sharpener&psc=1

Notice the tapered slightly pointed part of each. That is what you use to sharpen a serrated edge. You simply place the knife at an angle to match somewhat the angle of the grooves in the edge and then stroke the tapered file through it several times GENTLY. This re-points the serrations and in my experience makes them better than when they were new. I also use these to sharpen my electric fillet knife blades and never have to buy new ones.

I also have some ceramic triangular stones that are for this. Each corner has a different radius for pollishing the different sized serrations. Unlike sharpening a regular blade this is not something that is critical that you get the angle perfect. It is basically just like sharpening a saw.

I'm not big on serrated knives for general use but many of my pocket knives have a partially serrated blade because it is just the best for cutting rope and such. For my tool box I took an old Ginsu kitchen knife and deepened the serrations and this is the best thing I've ever had for cutting radiator hoses and such. I got the knife for 10 cents at a garage sale and now use it all the time.

BigZirp likes this.
  23. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    I've got one of those Smith's PP1 sharpeners. Thanx for info on the Blize Tech -- would like to have one.

Chainsaw sharpening files will work if they have a taper. Most do not, however. Some small file sets have rounded with taper. Problem is that oftentimes these small files are way too brittle and so if you put any force on them, the file will snap like it was made of glass.

EMTs carry serrated blades for the cutting of seat-belts. A regular blade slips right off the nylon/whatever slick material. Serrations dig in to belts when you gotta cut someone out a car. Same is true of slick rope materials. Something goes way wrong on the water and you only got time to cut free or die, you want a serrated edge knife.

BigZirp likes this.
  24. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    The sharp kind :D

I've been through periods in my life where I've cared alot about my knives, and main focus has been on looks. I never stabbed anyone so I wouldn't know about that. I carry good quality "smaller" knives. Don't like tacticool-stuff at all. I carry an axe for axe-tasks and a saw for saw-tasks.

I get my knives from my job, mostly they buy Mora or Hultafors on bulk, here in Sweden you get three of those for 10 US dollars.

In my pocket I have a Eka-folder that my granddad gave me when I was a kid. A non-locking little nailnick knife with runestones on it.

25. watcherchris

watcherchris Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    In fixed blade and for the money I like a Mora Knife. I have them in both stainless and carbon steel.

In a folder...I prefer whatever I can get.

What I like in a blade is carbon steel...because it will hold an edge.
    I also prefer a blade with a straight cutting edge...not one with serrations...or both serrations and smooth cutting edges..but only a straight sharp cutting edge.

Most blades you buy are stainless and I never liked stainless as well as I like a carbon blade.

I like the Marine fixed bowie for a carbon steel blade..or the smaller survival fixed bowie often issued to air crews. I keep one in the back of my truck...for years and years now.

Best blade material I ever had in a blade was a fixed Gerber....with a blade made of L7 tool steel.

It would keep an edge ..but if it got dull..it took some work to get the edge back ..the metal was so hard...like a tool steel tap. You had to keep this blade...clean and dry ..it would easily rust if you did not properly take care of it...but it would definitely hold an edge.

I let a fellow use it to dress out a deer ....he was impressed with the edge holding capabilities of this Geber.
    I don't bring that one to work.

Problem is...where I work.... I do not bring an expensive well made knife ..fixed or folder.

Many of the guys at work are "High Maintenance " and have no appreciation of a good knife or a sharp blade. Many of them cannot even sharpen a knife blade....nor any other edged cutting tool.

For most people I have ever seen...a knife....next to a screwdriver ...is one of the most misused and abused tools out there.

Any of my more expensive tools..in the edged variety ..I do not take to work with me..but leave them at home.

I do keep in my daily BOB a diamond hone and a element rod from inside of a commercial Mercury Vapor light to serve as one of those sharpening rods...in like manner to the white round ceramic rods you used to see in the stores.

Used my diamond hone last night to sharpen two pairs of commercial scissors.

Many of these guys are so pitiful...not only do they not know how to sharpen a knife or scissors...they will not even take the scissors back to the tool room and turn them in for a sharp pair.

My .02,
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Ystranc, TexDanm and BigZirp like this.
  26. watcherchris

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Been thinking about this which you posted several posts up.

I agree here. The only one I've seen of late and with any quality is one that the military issued with bright orange handles. I was told it was made to be able to cut parachute lines quickly and one handed. All the others I have seen are pretty much junk ..the blade material very cheap stainless and I am not keen on stainless.

In most knives I have seen ..if you want good blade metal...you are going to have to come off the bucks.

I've seen some very good blade steel in some knives at these gun shows..but you gotta come off some bucks to get one. Most of the knives at gun shows I've seen are of stainless blades.

It is difficult to find a good practical knife with good metal in the blade and a good simple ergonomic practical design....and not stainless...particularly in a folder.

I'd like to find a folder with the pocket clip...non stainless...with a solid blade..not serrated....

This seems to be a tall order in the era of stainless running amok.

By the way .....I have purchased several of the Opinel blades... I like them because they are not stainless...and of simple design.
    I have one right here for which I keep in a reinforced mag light pouch. They keep a good edge.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I am just a knife junkie and like nearly all of them. If you are looking for a good knife that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I recommend the Mora fixed blade and an Opinel 7 . Both of these knives are available in either stainless steel or carbon steel and the Moras have several configurations and blade thicknesses. The Opinel line is a very basic twist lock folder that you can get in lengths from tiny to huge. I like both of these especially because I am a fan of carbon steel. Both of these knives can be had for under 20 bucks

BigZirp likes this.
  28. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Moa is a name isee everywhere on the net that everyone loves i never saw or handled one so im a wait and see i paid fair price for my blades when i got them many years ago i care for them and use them wisely i guess thats why i still have and use them any tool misused and uncared for no matter price or style will fail my 2 blade ive had since i was 7 my sheath since i was 16 im in my60s now price style dont really matter but use and care of is much more important

BigZirp likes this.
  29. watcherchris

232/345

Blog Posts:

Agree totally TexDanm, They are very affordable Knives. The Mora series is one that a fellow worker turned me onto them and I've never looked back . Until this fellow worker showed me his Mora ..I'd never seen or heard of one. Have both stainless and carbon steel. I don't know exactly what is the caliber of the Mora Stainless.but it seems to be better than most of what passes for knives made here in the states. And then when I realized the price...very very affordable...I was sold.

The Opinel is also a very simple and affordable Folder. One of the simplest actions I have ever seen. And the bonus to me is that it is carbon steel.

Both of these knives can be found on Amazon...and very affordable.

Yes....no matter what the price...take care of your tools and the will take care of you.

Thanks,
    Wattcherchris

Ystranc likes this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    For survival use I highly recommend this knife. It is the typical Morakniv carbon steel knife but with a blade that is a third thicker and tougher.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Com...d=1513394239&sr=1-1&keywords=mora+heavy+blade

For my work knife I used this one except mine is carbon steel...

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Fix...94493&sr=1-2&keywords=mora+electricians+knife

I use this one for my rough out knife when I am doing my wood carvings...

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Car...1513394682&sr=1-3&keywords=mora+carving+knife

This is a Opinel...

https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-Carbo...4770&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=opinel+knife&psc=1

Ystranc likes this.
  31. Mekada

Mekada Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Karambit daily. It is great for many things but not a very practical knife for everyday use.

Ystranc likes this.
  32. Mekada

Mekada Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    Those seem pretty cool! Might make one sometime! Thanks for sharing!

33. watcherchris

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I am not familiar with the term "slip joint Knife." That is a new term to me. I just always called them "Folders."

I am not keen on the hawk talon type knives. I prefer a straight blade with no serrations. I 've seen them but just never was keen on them. They are not practical for the type of work I do. A straight non serrated knife works better for me.

I am glad of one advancement in knives over the years...and that is that locking blade devices are better then they were in years past. I have the scars to prove it.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

34. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Buck made a lockblade that was the standard for all others for years well made with a sturdy lock these are still made i belive its model 110 but not surer many marines carried these from home and carried these as a edc since kbars were only issused when needed i belive one of the most nastyknifes used for self defence to be the butterfly knife well used in asia these fast little things are deadly in trained hands bargirls and streetgangs in pi used these too well

35. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Karambit / hawk-bill are great for slashing. Hook-blades even come in machete size for the clearing of brush. Witness the sickle.
    Thing is that in a fight, an effective hold is to reverse the knife in the hand such that the blade extends out from the heel of the hand. This allows one to stab to the back of their body. It allows one to use the arm's triceps muscle / pushup muscles = power. Stabbing the enemy in the groin cuts major arteries, the largest of which is the femoral.
    The knife in the above position allows forward slashing. Having slashed forward, one returns the arm with the knife already in a stabbing position (stabbing with one's triceps muscle and his pushup friends). Women can use this to their advantage; slash, back-stab, slash, back-stab. Women's biceps muscles are not developed like most men's, however all people, male and female, use their push-up muscles throughout the day and they do so against the weight of their own body.

A woman being attacked from the front can spin and back-stab. With the woman holding her knife backwards, the attacker may not even see that she is armed. She spins. He doesn't cover himself. He takes a blade to his groin or genitals. If he covers his injury with both hands (instinctive), she can now slash his face and neck.

Mekada likes this.
  36. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Slipjoint is a non lockblade folder edc for many years for most men they became know as a pocket knife allsizes and shapes were made Case had a model that was very well made and sold everywhere ithad yellowish sides thar morenlikely was grampfathers knife and has been passed threw a family for many generations

Mekada likes this.
  37. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I play with butterfly knives and am pretty good with them but seriously, I can snap my Buck 110 open faster with one hand. It took some practice but if you hook your thumb nail in it and flick your wrist as you pop the blade open it looks and sounds like you snapped open a switch blade. I do agree that the Buck 110 was a deal changer and in its day,where I live in Texas, every young man either had one in his right side hip pocket or on the belt in a holster. I used it a couple of times with devastating effect on an a$$hole without even opening it. It weighed a ton and if you just whacked a guy on the head with it in your hand if would turn their lights off.

I have several of the Karambit/Eagle Claw type knives and while they are not the best for just everyday general carry they are just GREAT for cutting rope and heavy line and very intimidating if you need something sharp to dissuade someone from messing with you. I actually keep a cheap one in my boat incase I need to cut a line in a hurry. If you are running a trotLine and get a hook in your hand while trying to pull a big fish into the boat you want the line to that hook cut NOW! I've also had to cut a docking line in a hurry a couple of times. A serrated eagle claw knife will do it with one hand because it grabs and digs in where a straight edge slips off nylon and poly ropes.

For quite a while my everyday carry has been a Leatherman Freestyle. It is a small pliers with a half serrated locking knife blade. It is small enough to be comfortable but does most all of the things that I might need to do in a normal day.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-F...F8&qid=1513718443&sr=1-28&keywords=Leatherman

38. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    There was at one time a after market attachment made for the buck 110 that made flick open easy idk if still advalible but i see now they are made as a auto open

39. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Those 110 autos are cool but awful pricey. Basically they are pure switchblades and not assisted openers.

40. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I am tempted to get a mora but dont buy online so as i travel i look in knife cases for it im still a hold feel before i buy guy im very careful with my cash our walmart has not had any yet

41. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I use Paypal and other than Amazon I never use a credit card online. With Amazon I have an account that comes with a card. Actually I have both a Company and a personal account with them. I got a better price from them and free shipping for my appliance, heater and AC parts than my wholesalers were giving me.

42. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    The scottish blood in me and the indian blood make me tight with money and untrusting of people yes i have a credit card used a little and paid off its locked in the safe used only as a last resort i order catologs from sites and use mail for orders i owe no one and no one owes me i find life easy that way

43. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    The Scott and Indians, if you mean Native Americans, seemed to get along pretty well. One side of my Family is Scott/Viking/ Cherokee Big Tall Redheads From the McClure Clan. The other half is Black German. Big tall dark haired people built like barrels. We all like to drink and spend money LOL. My place will be paid off this year and we plan on being debt free again in two years when my wife retires.

I love Ebay and Amazon because living as I do in the country with only smaller towns around there just isn't the availability of the things that I like. Also between Ebay and Amazon I can get good prices on a lot of the things that I needed in connection to my businesses. I got all but one of my Mora Knives off of Amazon. Most of my specialty knives that I use for wood carving came off Ebay or I made them myself. We do nearly all of our Christmas Shopping online anymore.

BigZirp and Old Geezer like this.
  44. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Holy crap! it's freaky how much we have in common. (Not the Viking part, however.)

In Southern Appalachia the relationship between the Scots-Irish (a.k.a. Ulster Scots) and the Cherokee was on-again/off-again. Lots of Ch. raids in the 1700s, but Scots trappers intermarried within local Ch.villages. Ch. didn't like all the homesteaders moving in. Ch. sided with Brit.s. in Rev. war. Ch. sided with South during Civil War, whereas East Tennesseans sided with Lincoln, Republicans, the North. Up in the mountains to this day, there's all these folk who are lily white, yet have black straight hair, go figure.

My dad's lot had "Black Dutch" in them. "Dutch" as bastardization of Deutsch sprechen; "Ich spreche Deutsch," resulted in "Oh lord, he's one'a them thar dang Dutch."

Scots in my mom's dad = paid for everything in cash; hoarded. Cherokee + whiskey in my mom's dad = terror, insanity, violence.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    BigZirp likes this.
  45. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    The Cherokee in me mostly showed up in the fact that I didn't have any facial hair until I was nearly 21 and only had 15 chest hairs when I got married. I rubbed them off and that was the end of that. Lots of really tall big men and women in my familly a lot with red hair. My Mother was a Brunner and dark complected German. I tan to an almost mahogany and can spend all day working in the fields without a shirt once I'm tanned. My Dad had to shave every day because he was and officer in the navy but he only put a blade in the razor once a week. At 6'2" I'm the familly runt.

BigZirp likes this.
  46. arctic bill

arctic bill Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
  47. arctic bill

arctic bill Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    Buck # 110. i have three two are 4 1/2 inch and one is 3 1/2 .

BigZirp likes this.
  48. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Great knife but they weigh a ton. THAT isn't necessarily a bad thing.

BigZirp likes this.
  49. BigZirp

85/115

Blog Posts:

My kids bought me this knife for fathers day. I love it. Just like everything there are a lot of pros and cons.
    It is blade heavy and the handle is on the small side . I have bear paws for hands so it is a little uncomfortable. The construction is great. Very durable and the blade heavtyness is not bad for chopping. It has a nice sharp edge. It will be a nice versatile camp knife.

50. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought a Ka-bar, I've been after one for ages -to complete my collection you understand;)-but they were way way out of my budget but I recently found a supplier with a more reasonable price so I am now the proud and happy owner of one such.

Dunmaghlas, Ystranc and BigZirp like this.