Favorite Knife Style

Discussion in 'Knives' started by BigZirp, Nov 15, 2017.

Favorite Knife Style 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like Ka-bar a lot. They last forever. I have the one my Dad brought back from the war in the 40s and it is as good today as it was when he got it. I also have the shorter version. I actually find it a lot easier to carry and use. I like that they still make knives that are NOT stainless steel. My Ka-bar Kukri is made out of 1095 and is probably one of the best survival type blades that I've ever used.

Stainless is pretty and it doesn't rust much but it tends to be brittle when the edge is fine and where a carbon steel knife dulls by the edge turning a stainless knife chips off on the edge. You can return the carbon edge with a s=few strokes from a honing steel but the stainless knife has to be reground. A steel and a strop will keep a good carbon steel knife sharp for a long long time without having to remove metal to sharpen it. This is why my knives last almost forever. I have seen so many old knives that have been sharpened so many times that the blade is almost gone. A good honing steel is a good investment.

BigZirp likes this.
  2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations LW, probably one of the best buys you could make.

BigZirp likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes I think so, it was a little bit bigger than I imagined from the photo but no matter.

BigZirp likes this.
  4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    There is a website called www.etsy.com where there are quite a few collectable knives up for sale. Some expensive but others are very reasonable. There are some very nice tools on there as well.
    It's nice to find a website selling into the UK that hasn't gone all "corporate legal"about selling blades.

BigZirp likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yep, i'd already found that site, ordered a couple of decent knife sheaths from there, not to pricey either.

BigZirp likes this.
  6. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    This is my Great Great Grandfather's Bowie. My great Grandfather took it with him to France during WWI and it collected some Hun DNA. My Grandfather took it with him to England during WWII when he flew B17s. My Dad took it to VietNam when he flew Hueys and used it to keep himself alive for a couple of days waiting for an exfil from indian country when his Huey went down. I expect that someday it will serve me in such a capacity. In the mean time, it has skinned more than a few whitetail deer, javelina, mountain mule deer, and a coyote or several dozen in Arizona. I even took it with me to Alaska fishing. It's over 140 years old. There's something about the Bowie that I like. It can fight, skin, cut, chop, gut, shave, and do just about anything you need a knife to do.

It's my favorite.

That being said...my every day carry knives are a pair of Spyderco 4.25" tactical folders.
    Great Paps Bowie.png

Dunmaghlas and BigZirp like this.
  7. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I also just bought a Ka-Bar while visiting MCRD Parris Island (The United States Marine Boot Camp Base for those who don't know) and bought one that they attempted to burn the Marine's name, platoon number, etc. on the side but failed so I got it for $35(roughly 26.4 pounds)!!! All I had to do was polish and re-finish the burnt side (I did an antique finish). Really good knives, take an edge easy, holds it well, shavin' sharp! The handle is also really good stacked and polished leather. Nothing bad really to say about it other than that there are more advanced, modern survival based knives like the Ontario ASEK (Aircrew Survival Egress Knife). I would usually only recommend Ka-Bars, Ontario military, antique military knives that are sure to endure the worst possible scenario (like Ka-Bars from the storming of Normandy or Iwo Jima in WWII), or hand forged survival knives. I have a couple of each of those.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    BigZirp likes this.
  8. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I own three "working" knives. The one always in the pocket of my jeans or overalls is a folding knife from Gerber with a 3-inch blade, a skeletonized handle and a spring clip (which I removed). I also have a Gerber multitool; I usually carry it, but either in my car when I'm travelling or in a toolbox when I'm working around the homestead. Finally, I have a 7-inch blade Ka-Bar: the newer one with the composition handle and a couple inches of serration at the base of the blade. This is my camping knife; I chop with it, dig with it, and have used it as a hammer on more than one occasion. I also have a two-sided diamond sharpener and one of those round file thingies for sharpening a serration.

They all work fine and I keep them clean and sharp.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry three knives, a hunting knife for dispatching, skinning & butchering game & for defence. A legging knife which is a back-up to the hunting knife, & for camp chores & trap making & carry a clasp knife. For heavier work such as shelter construction, trap making, hammering in stakes, I carry a tomahawk. I have never needed to cut wood for a camp fire, there is always plenty laying around on the ground or dead wood broken from a tree.
    Keith.
    9c7540289d4fdbc0c4f39e479b0a76a7.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the video from the guy who talks funny and doesn't batten a knife. He certainly appears to know his business.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    87208f31dc29e7730ba51d5add66b1ba.jpeg Hmmm, not sure how to take that. I did not realise that I talked funny!
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.