Favorite Survival Movie?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Okaviator, Jul 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite survival movies would definitely have to be "My Side of the Mountain". Now what are you guys' and gals' all time favorite survival movies?

2. Zeyad

Zeyad New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    This isn't really a movie but I really enjoy watching a show called The Island with Bear Grylls, it's really interesting and it's about throwing a few ordinary men and woman on an island with very small knowledge about survival and a few basic survival tools and see how they would survive or if they would give up or not

3. StolenKid

StolenKid New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Into The Wild is a really great example os survival, the story is beautiful and the ending got me sobbing. The movie inspired me and is my inspiration to go out and explore.

4. john rey

john rey New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    For me my Best survival movie is "All is Lost" By Robert Redford. After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face.

5. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I've actually been binge watching that tv series over the summer. I have to say that it really is quite entertatining to watch a bunch of city folk try and survive in the wilderness. :rolleyes:

6. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to put that movie on my "to watch" list then. I've recently been watching a bunch of free movies on 123movies since I don't see the point in paying for a Netflix subscription that lacks in content. At least compared to 123movies.

7. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    You should really look into doing short movie reviews. Just by reading your short description I can already feel the suspense the movie has. I'll definitely have to go check it out!

8. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Naturally Into The Wild comes to mind. The movie is a great example of how we shouldn't value material goods over more important things. Also, the soundtrack is excellent. But my favorite movie is Cast Away. I just love how he manages to survive years on an island without any help from the outside world at all. A true example of independence.

9. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm actually a huge fan of the movie Cast Away. It's actually been quite a while since I last watched it. I'll definitely have to watch it with the family sometime.

10. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, and the ending is particularly nice. in my opinion. It teaches us that life is a constant evolution and that nothing is unchangeable. We should learn to adapt to all life circumstances and always move forward not backwards. If we stop in time we will definitely be consumed by it.

11. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I completely agree on what you said. Adaption is definitely key in this world. If we don't take time to adapt, we'll definitely get left behind in society.

12. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I found Apocalypto really great. It has some of the best man vs man survival scenes of all the movies I have ever watched. It has running away from spear throwers, people shooting the protagonist with poison darts, them jumping off waterfalls... it's all so great, and the ending really blew my mind.

If you have not watched this movie yet. I suggest you do since it is really well done.

13. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I've watched so many movies with this theme that I find it difficult to remember which was the first one because none of them marked me that much... I mean in relation to being the first movie because I was probably a kid when I watched it.

14. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    this wouldn't be considered a movie per say but i really liked the survival story of the "The Green Arrow" as Oliver Queen who was stranded alone in an island for 5 years and he had to do everything possible to survive through that 5 years, considering that before that he was just a rich playboy who had no survival skills what so ever.

15. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I think his story can be considered as a "survival story" after all. Although I find everything very superficial, but still, it is a valid story. :D

16. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    true superficial but considering almost all movies are made up too, then this can be a valid addition and it was also thought out and written by someone just as other movies are.

17. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, you're kinda right. :) Paying close attention to his story, is something that can be considered as relevant after all.

18. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't possibly remember them all that I like in the genre, but a few that come to mind ....

• Panic in Year Zero (1962). It is about a family surviving the wake of a nuclear attack.
    • Red Dawn (1984). It is about young people surviving, and fighting back, during a Communist invasion.
    • Earthquake (1974). A semi-cheesy disaster flick, with an ensemble cast, surviving in the wake of "the big one" in Los Angeles.
    • Contagion (2011) . It is medical thriller about a global flu pandemic.
    • Dawn of the Dead (1978). This one is less realistic, but it did set the tone zombie flicks for decades to come.
    • The Day After (1983). It is about an atomic exchange between the US and Soviets.

19. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Contagion is a hit for me too. It showed how the disease progressed on humanity. It showed how the top scientists in the world worked for formulating a cure, and it showed how fast a deadly strain could end humanity as we know it.

20. SN4KES

SN4KES New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    For me it would have to be 127 hours as it shows how a situation can go from great to catastrophic in seconds and the determination to survive by severing one of your own limbs with a pen knife just to stay alive is the true meaning of survival

21. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I happen to watch a very interesting survival series on Discovery Family. It's called 'ultimate survivor' by Bear Grylls.He showcases a lot of useful survival skills on the very many different terrain.

22. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    My favourite survival movie is 127 hours. It just brutal, real and honest. A true-life account. No script can beat that.

23. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think cast away and contagion are two good movies. There is also Z for Zachariah. The third one is because it is how up at the mountain top the movie sounds good. I have found that overall the survival instinct type movies are into zombie movies. But the virus outbreak type movies are going good too. It'd be interesting to see how in future movies on survival going to be.

24. Inqogn1to

Inqogn1to New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Like a couple of guys here already have mentioned Id say "bear grylls" as a TV "show character". He gives some really pertinent advice, atleast they are for me being a (newbie).

A movie I really like was 127 hours, it was captivating to say the least to witness the mental aspect of survival when you are faced with a catastrophe unprepared.

Another movie I like in the "survival" genre which depicts the emotional struggle of setting yourself apart from the world system would be titanic. The scene where they find themselves far away from civilization floating out in the deep blue sea, and he (dicaprio) ends up drowning, you know im just messing around right?

"In to the wild" Is what I was aiming to say though just couldn't help myself from going there ha ha ha. Yep In to the wild is a good one and "Cast away" with Tom Hanks.

25. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Into the wild is not a survival movie, it's a dying movie :D

The Revenant with DiCaprio is my favourite. In post apocalyptic movies, ofcourse, The Omega Man.

26. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh...boy...a television and movie education. OK...you guys say so.

One of my favorite "Educational Movies " is a training video outlining what happened at Three Mile Island and what they found when they ran a borescope into the reactor vessel ..at the fuel rods.

Then on the same training reel...an explaination of what happened at Chernobyl in Russia where they went from some very very low power setting to some 1500 per cent power in about 4 seconds...and the rest is history.

The other sobering video is a classified video of what happened at the SL 1 reactor site in Idaho Falls, Idaho in the 1960s where several guys were killed in a reactor accident. This is a little known accident outside of the trades but it can be found on the web. It is quite sobering. It was our Chernobyl.....way before it happened in Russia in the 1980s....as this happened in the early 1960s and almost no Americans know about it.

Certain aspects of this video are still classified today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1

Movies are alright to me as long as I know they are mostly entertainment. I would not go to them for the gospel.

A training video is something entirely different. Some of the training videos I have seen are beyond what I get from Hollywood.

I choose for the most part not to follow a Hollywood template in movies to the point where Hollywood is now a reflection of reality. I don't vote based on Hollywood conditioning/brainwashing/programming. Most actors are exactly that ...I would not trust them to feed my pets...nor control my vote. I think the same with politicians...and Hollywood and Washington DC have a very incestuous relationship as far as I am concerned.

A lot of how to stuff....I will carefully research U tube and the web ..but always with a salt shaker close.

You folks do what you want ..but I am highly skeptical of Hollywood for my survival doctrine and beliefs.

I just know to many people for whom when you ask them a deep thought....they tend to refer to a movie or television program they have watched.

What you realize is that many of these people have no real experience of their own..no real thoughts and ideas of their own. They live second hand lives...second hand thoughts, second hand emotions...none of them are their own lives, ideas thoughts , and emotions. They are someone else's thoughts, emotions, ideas, and lives.
    And even worse...they don't have a clue this has happened to them. Even more scary about this is that these people are often voters.

Now that is scary!!!

Free....no cover charge.

Be very careful about living second hand through movies and such entertainments.

Amuse....amusements.

A -without

Muse - Thinking.

Without thinking..amuse/ amusement.....

Something fed to us to prevent thinking.

I prefer materials which cause me to muse ..not to amuse.

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite.

27. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's a creepy post SHTF movie. It's title is "The Survivalist"; release year = 2015, British.

It makes some interesting points. Keith H. would like it because the male lead had only put back a handful of cartridges. He'd a been better served with a muzzle-loader(s), flint, salt peter, charcoal, sulfur, and wheel weights. The movie reminds one to put back ammo. I've got a satchel that holds 400 rounds of .357 very conveniently, plus other stuff needed at the range. That satchel and my Winchester Trapper rifle is a killer combo portable pack.

The movie brings out how human loyalties form and dissolve when the pressure to survive is royally in your face.

28. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    The Edge. Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin.

29. preppergrant

preppergrant Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Contagion!

30. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Favorite survival movie is Cast Away. The tv show Alone filmed on Vancouver Island is really cool to see some of the different survival skills different people bring.