Favorite Survival Movies

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by AlexM, Jun 15, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. AlexM

AlexM New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone. I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite movies that deal with survival, or focus on characters that have to overcome some sort of life threatening situation. I love these type of movies, and since this is a survival forum, I thought it would be very appropriate. Here are my three favorite survival films.

3. Alive. This movie is about a plane crash involving a soccer team. This movie is great just for the shock values, and you might enjoy it if you like action and violence.

2. 127 Hours. A very popular movie based on a true story about a hiker who gets his arm trapped under a rock, and his only resort is to sever his arm so he can escape. One of the most intensely suspenseful movies I have ever seen!

1. The Revenant. The most recent movie on this list. Another incredibly suspenseful movie that is also based on a true story. The bear attack scene is totally mind-blowing. It's also the most beautifully photographed movie I have ever seen, and features some of the best cinematography ever put on film in my opinion. If you're a fan of actor Leonardo DiCaprio, you'll like it a lot too. Undoubtedly one of his best performances.

So those are my choices! Feel free to comment, agree, disagree, and post some of your favorite survival movies. Cheers!

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Indeed, The Revenant has the increible Iñarritu's Film direction style. With long shots of beautiful landscapes and ambiguous endings. And also, DiCaprio won at last a Grammy after all these years of good acting perfomance and
    struggle.

Now, in the film Castaway. The combination of Tom Hank's popularity and the phenomenal success of the TV series Survivor made Cast Away a sure winner at the box office. The core message of this film is redeeming: Never give up hope. We know from scripture and from experience that many circumstances that seem hopeless today are the very things that empower us to succeed later on. The story suggests that Chuck's near death and isolated struggle leads him to an epiphany of what is truly important. Unfortunately, the movie doesn't reveal what those important things are. Did he immediately go and reconcile himself with his family, friends or even enemies? Did he become a philanthropist working in a Dominican Republic orphanage? No, rather he goes on an existential search for self that remains ambiguous within the context of the film.

3. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I like the new and old Swiss family Robinson. Mostly because I'd like to think I would be able to thrive as well as them. I know that is not likely the case however and only enjoy the movies as a Disney rendition of a survival situation.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    From a historical point of view & from a primitive skills/survival point of view the Revenant is a total disaster. DO NOT use movies as a learning tool. They are just fantasy. I was hoping that after the latest "Last Of The Mohicans" movie that we were finally moving into an era of more authenticity in movies, but obviously this was not to be.
    Keith.
    [​IMG] More mistakes & misinformation than you can shake a stick at!!! I love 18th & 19th century based period movies, but only if the director pays attention to authenticity.

5. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if I have a favorite survival movie, but I really like movies where any character is placed in the position of having to survive without actually being prepared for it. The Day After Tomorrow is a good example, and Dante's Peak are a couple of my favorites. Any movie where you are right there with them trying to figure out what to do next in order to survive the situation, whatever it is.

And Keith, I know you warned us not to use movies as tools, but sometimes other people's imaginations are better than ours when it comes to dreaming up disaster plots. Also, I have learned quite a few things about what NOT to do in survival situations just from watching characters try stupid things in a movie.

(I do agree that when period piece movies are scripted, they should be thoroughly researched for authenticity.)

Keith H. likes this.
  6. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am definitely a movie buff. I love watching movies, especially about survival. I like the movie Deliverance, even though it is a little bit disturbing. It's a a little scary, and a little old, but it's not bad. I like t.v. series like the walking dead. I really like the types of movies where an influenza takes over the world and people work together to find a cure. It's a little scary though sometimes.

7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have seen a few that I found very enjoyable, but two that stand out above all others are "The Survivalist", & "The Road".
    Keith.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Wes Morgan

Wes Morgan Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    American Blackout I think is a must see, U-Tube has it.

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tip, I will check it out.
    Keith.

10. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The Castaway is a good one. To survive alone has to be among the hardest things to do. And I liked the scene where he has to pull out his own bad tooth. That was a realistic touch I thought. After all, most survival movies do not reflect how being unable to go to the dentist or being able to brush your teeth would effect you in a survival situation.

11. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I just recently watched the movies The Day and The Fifth Wave. The Day was kind of scary. I had to turn it off less than half-way through. The language was extremely vulgar and unnecessarily placed. Skip the movie and read the plot summary. The Fifth Wave was a movie I actually really enjoyed. It was about fiction and about aliens. But I think that once you got past that there was a lot of good survival material in the plot. Well, maybe not. Considering almost everyone died. For me, it emphasized the importance of being prepared.