Fewer First Responders

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Sep 23, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.axios.com/volunteer-fir...ers-957d4958-c1f2-4378-82bb-6ef7d355515c.html

Good morning all,

Above per ...

Perhaps Operations Management Professor Natalie Simpson can develop a plan to start placing volunteer firefighters on the payrolls - just like Prof Simpson is on.

In our large nation, it's not that rare that firefighters respond to actual fires. Here, in Virginia, they do respond to natural disasters.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Interesting that they only address the shortage of firefighters and not the shortages of EMTs and LEOs.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that what this has to do with the change in our culture. Nowadays a lot of our younger people have grown up with "friends" that were and are little more than a few lines of text on Facebook or Twitter. they sat in their homes isolated playing with either electronically created "friends" or text only people online.

The end result is that they never developed much connection to other people and don't do much of anything for other people nor have other people do much for them. You also have to think about the lives these kids lives. When I was a kid Mama fed me breakfast and then told me to go play outside. We played sports, built forts in the woods and made tree houses and all sorts of other things. kids now days don't like to sweat. they are airconditioned wimps. They are not going to be very interested in doing something hot and sweaty for other people that they don't know and have little interest in.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was a first aider on the building site I worked on but that was a few years ago now.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Flunked red cross CPR because I stated I would refuse to give a street bum mouth to mouth --- not going to happen.

Morgan101 and Sonofliberty like this.
  6. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Dude, you need to learn to "tactically" lie... lol

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What TexDanm said, then some.

My retirement age wife has a larger set than most young "men" today.

Even the gang-bangers are without a half-ounce of courage. Witness these "drive-by shootings" -- they'll not stand and fight unless they have a half-dozen back-ups ... or more. "Spray and pray." Let's say these guys go a'looting an' you do a shooting; suddenly, their pants are sagging even lower.

Brother, take aim. End the game.

Nov. elections 2020, predators show up. Ammo?, deer load vs. panther load, any difference? I'd say, pretty much the same.

8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Always been a problem for me. Always got caught as a small child, so never developed the talent. It has caused problem on more than one job. I have learned NOT volunteer my opinions but always hope the boss does not ask.

Morgan101 likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TMT Tactical,

I,too, would never use the mouth CPR method - even on non-street bums. Never, ever, with possible exception for certain dogs.

I'd use the 100 punches to chest to pace of that Bee Gees song (no Vicki Carr, no Marianne Faithful, no Toni Tenell songs?)

Here's a possible solution: Contact or visit your area health department and ask around for any free courses on CPR. My course was senior-citizen oriented so did not have the demand for mouth CPR. Fire Stations have folks who know about the course offerings and some of these EMTs might even be teaching the course.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I found it to be quite shocking that 2/3's of all firefighters are volunteer. What would happen if they all just walked away?

I agree with TMT on mouth-to-mouth. Unless it is a family member, well, I guess if that is what you need then you are going to die. You are not going to get it from me. It would be good to take a refresher course. It has been a few years since I went through CPR training.

TMT Tactical and CountryGuy like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    ALL rural firefighters over here are volunteers.
    there is a big protest over here at the moment as the fire service wants to close a lot of fire stations to save money.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Use a face shield / face mask. These things have a one-way valve, filter, and all ...

The "cone" body of the shield collapses / folds so that it will fit into the plastic housing. Open the plastic case, then accordion-out the face mask, then breathe or use Ambu bag on the circular orifice. Some have a right-angle thingie so that an Ambu bag can be attached.

5fa65c11b2c336040b8e52bcfc1abcfd.jpeg

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ambu+bag&atb=v140-1&iax=images&ia=images

5fa65c11b2c336040b8e52bcfc1abcfd.png

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't bother these days, just call 999, if you interfere you'll probably get sued by the relatives for any bruising/broken ribs you cause, if they die you'll probably get arrested for murder.
    my first aid is confined to me and mine.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What are medical students taught to do should they come upon a resuscitation-needed situation?

Answer: Call 911

Responders will have the proper equipment and they are far better at their job than most physicians. Who carries around epinephrine and nitroglycerine and baby aspirin and oxygen tanks and an Ambu bag and morphine and ... ?! Not in my portable survival toolbox, just say'in. Does your truck have emergency lights and siren?! Call 911 if you are in or near any town (even small towns have this equipment).

Me, if emergency services are not available or will take too long, I may begin basic life support. If there is an AED available -- we're in a shopping mall whatever -- maybe I'll do compressions and shock.

Chest compression far more important than breathing for cardiac patient. Thirty compression to two respirations. Deep compressions (at least); rate 100/minute. If not on hard floor, put a board under their back.

Pragmatist uses the music method: "I'd use the 100 punches to chest to pace of that Bee Gees song (no Vicki Carr, no Marianne Faithful, no Toni Tenell songs?)"

Think that "Stayin' alive" song.

Person down, if older, it's a likely heart attack or stroke. If a kid, it's breathing and/or airway issue.

TMT Tactical likes this.