Fiberglass Handles

Discussion in 'Recrafting and Modifying' started by randyt, Sep 13, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    A few years back I went to the national trappers convention in escanaba mi. I camped out on public land to say money rather than renting a room. Rooms were all booked up anyway.

Down in the woods were I set up camp there was a pile of debris. Looked like someone burned down a outbuilding, shoveled it in a truck and dumped it in the woods. Being the scrounger that I am, I scrounged up a big splitting maul head, no handle.

Yesterday I picked up a fiberglass handle for it. I'm not much for fiberglass handles but they are tough.
    The handle is set into the head and a epoxy is applied to the eye and let set up.

I think the head may have got hot but don't think heat treat is that critical for a splitting maul. I like the toughness of these handles and will leave them back in the woods were I cut firewood.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I like fiberglass handles on my shovels, hoes and rakes. I tend to be hard on tools. Especially handles. Fiberglass will take a lot more pressure than wood. I do prefer wood handles on my axes. I usually carve the handle down from factory size to suit my hands and to reduce weight.

Hadn't thought about fiberglass on a maul, but it makes sense.

Dale

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  4. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a few rakes and hoes that I welded on a handle made from 1/2 inch galvanized pipe. I leave my hoe in the garden year round.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My luck I would constantly get my hoe against the electric fence and "light up my life". LOL! That is a great thing about fiberglass. No worries with electricity.

Dale

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.