Fire Piston And How To Use It

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Bishop, Jan 18, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Here is one of my fire pistons and how to use it.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Neat i like would cotton with a dab of vasealine work in it ? Will have to make one as i dont like price of i found online never can have enough ways to make fire in kit

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it would work char cloth milk weed pods tinder fungus charge all work try Amazon you can make one the trick is it has to have a air tight seal and if you use wood it has to be polished so no air goes into the pores of the wood

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good one, well done.
    Keith.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  6. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Many years ago in japan they sold for a buck a forever match filled with lighter fuel and sealed tightly they lasted for along time. I still have one i got in 75 and it still works i see they still make and sell these handy little things id add one to your kit they are great

TexDanm likes this.
  7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if a co2 carterage would work ?cut off near top below tip and dowel fitted inside wonder if its strke would be long enough to work be a nice cimpact tool if itdid

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They still make and sell them. I have several. Best of all they still cost very little. They also make peanut lighters. That is like a little round zippo about the size of a peanut shell with two nuts in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Etopstech-Su...6493301&sr=8-1&keywords=forever+match+lighter

You can get them on ebay one at a time for a couple of bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Blabroge-Sur...id=1516493401&sr=1-18&keywords=peanut+lighter

I get thesde off ebay for a couple of bucks too.

9. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I always wanted to try one of these ..as the principle on which they work is very interesting...diesel.

But never did.

I keep a magnifying glass in my daily BOB...several disposable lighters and a small packet of cotton balls and a jar of Vaseline.

I suppose I should try it and learn how it is done...as it certainly is interesting...if you can get the dry tinder and such.

Interesting and different in how it works.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The thing about some of the more esoteric ways of starting a fire is that they are all totally dependent on tinder that is massively flammable. The fire piston is a little like traditional flint and steel or even the magnifying glass and works best if you have some char cloth or other similarly flammable substance on hand. The various ways of rubbing sticks together is a little bit like a magic trick and is hard to duplicate from scratch. If you are going to carry a bow drill and board you might just as well carry a few hundred matches or lighters.

I have seen people that I know are good with the bow drill and board technique fail miserably when confronted with making a new set of tools for this from wood found in a natural forest. Where I live bone dry wood is scarce and a lot of the mosses and fungi that others use just don't exist here. My portable tinder is jute cord. I can braid it into a lot of useful things than then use it to get a start with a ferrocerium rod. Toilet paper, cotton balls and dryer lint work as well but the jute is the most portable and useful for other purposes.

I like making char stuff. I make the char cloth out of old blue jeans and also make char rope out of heavy cotton cord. Both will catch a spark and turn it into a small coal that will get you going if you have the right stuff prepared.

My go to for fire is the ferrocerium rod. You can buy them on Ebay for very little and can then make all of them you want for a couple dollars each. I have one that I use for camping that is made from a 1/2" X 6" piece that I put on an elk horn. I attached a piece of 3/8 tool steel to it for a scraper and it will start thousands of fires for generations.

For survival fire making you need things that are waterproof, small, light and that can be used over and over in most any conditions.