Fire wood splitting

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Tom Williams, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Ok you have wood logs cut and ready to split how do you do it most would say stand it on its end and hit it in the middle. Well try laying it on it side with one end resting on a small log and then hit it in the middle as it breaks keep doing this till you have the size you want bet you find it easier as it breaks lay the flatest side on your log rest to help stop rolling

2. Tom Williams

280/345

Blog Posts:
    This is refered to as rail splitting from when fence was made by breaking logs into rails.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I precut the logs with a chainsaw, then split them.
    the splits are very even then and little waste.
    2.5M Long and a long cut every 120mm or so about three inches deep.
    Two wedges and a 12lb hammer.
    Then I stand them in used sump oil about 700mm deep for a week.
    Drill holes for the wire first while close to the electric!

Dig hole and keep the oil line couple of inches above ground level
    If you use ironwood or redgum you can leave them for 50y plus!

1. Ystranc
      Have you tried adding old chimney soot to the old engine oil? It comes out almost like coal tar creosote.

Ystranc, Jul 16, 2017
      Tumbleweed likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      345/460

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, but I see no point in splitting logs in this fashion for the fire. Much harder in my opinion. Why replace a perfectly good well known common method with an inferior method. Splitting rails is one thing, firewood is another.
    Keith.

5. Tom Williams

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Try it keith it is easier

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      345/460

Blog Posts:
    The only occasions on which I have tried this method is when I have cut a heap of logs, & they need splitting before loading the trailer. Mostly I use the common method, but on occasion among the logs sprawled on the ground there has been one or two on their side. It never worked as well as the common method, & I learnt my lesson the hard way, using a lot of energy & getting no where. Like I said, I don't see the point. Now I take my time & make sure they are all standing on end, one on another for the right height to make it easier.
    Keith.

7. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I usually lay the log on a plank of wood but I don't strike it in the middle . I usually use an axe to split it on one side. I aim the axe on the edge of the side I want to split. This enables me to split smaller pieces. As the log reduces in size, its now easier to split on the centre since the force of the axe blows will create fissures penetrating to the other side.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a lump of tree trunk, I place the log end up and hit it will a hand axe(hatchet?), repeatedly until I get the size I want, I think this is the traditional method Keith refers to, this is the way I was taught and the only method I use.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    In a real survival situation, you would probably be better off with just collecting small branches for kindling, and make fire with them. When you are deep in the wild with nothing more than your wits, you definitely can't cut large trees for firewood, and you are left with just collecting branches and twigs, making the most out of them, and creating a fire so you can survive the night and chase away any potential wild animals that may get attracted to your make shift campsite.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, this is a real requirement in a survival situation that the should have the resources to have a fire going. It could be useful to keep out predators, for boiling water in order to purify it and for cooking food. It may very well be difficult to obtain sizeable logs because the capability to do so is not readily available, therefore, sizeable twigs branches and decaying logs may have to be utilised instead.

11. OnTarget

OnTarget New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    So you soak the wood in 7 metres of oil?! That's over 20 feet?

What good is a log that is 8 feet long? 2.5 metres.

Are you starting a camp fire, or burning down a small village?

1. Ystranc
      Soaking the posts in a mixture of old engine oil and chimney soot is a preservative treatment for a rail fence. Only the part of the post that goes in the ground gets treated, I've tried it and it works. Try to keep up

Ystranc, Jul 16, 2017
  12. Ystranc

Ystranc Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    Back to splitting wood, I use different methods for different kinds of wood or diameters of round. Most of my wood burners will take up to 20" long logs but the Rayburn will only take small pieces about 6" square. I have a hydro cut splitter mounted on a PTO but for most firewood I use a 7 Lbs splitting maul (and two wedges on tough stuff). If the ends of the log are square it will be split vertically, if they're a bit squewed then I'll split it as Tom Williams described at the beginning of this post. Big stuff will be split with the hydro it. I burn mainly oak and ash...no softwoods

13. OnTarget

OnTarget New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Ystranic, you could preserve wood that way, but why?

It would smoke like crazy. Not the best way of being inconspicuous.
    Not to mention the smoke would be very harmful. If you cook over that fire, even more so.

This is a survival forum, not a how to poison yourself forum. Try and keep up with that. FFS.

1. Ystranc
      You're not the brightest candle on the cake are you?

Ystranc, Jul 17, 2017
  14. Ystranc

Ystranc Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    its a preservative treatment for a RAIL FENCE, not a treatment for firewood. No one has suggested treating firewood with oil. It is a poor mans coal tar creosote for preserving posts that are set into the ground.
    If you read Arkanes post and my comment properly you will see that I clearly state that it is a "preservative treatment for a rail fence" do I need to repeat it again before you understand.
    Arkane was describing how he splits and treats a rail fence, you are the one who started asking stupid questions like; "are you burning a village?" or "so you soak wood in 7 meters of oil?"
    It isn't my fault that your reading comprehension isn't up to speed.

15. OnTarget

OnTarget New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    You're quite the mouth piece!
    The thread is called "Splitting Fire Wood"
    Learn some manners.
    At no point does Arkane mention cutting fence rails.
    Go F$ck yourself.

1. Ystranc
      Well I understood what he was talking about, it's a pity you didn't read it properly before making stupid comments. If you take the trouble to read things properly you might just learn something that could save you money, time or effort. Perhaps you might even learn something that saves your life. I have a very low tolerance for fools so stop acting like one with your abusive PMs and stupid comments

Ystranc, Jul 18, 2017
  16. Tom Williams

280/345

Blog Posts:
    I saw a video on you tube a guy from russia showed it so i tryed it on stuff u to tan inches round ie limbs they were cut to 14in lengths it dud the with one blow from 7lb axe guicker than i could standing them up it gives your a longer swing and more force at strike it worked well