Fire!!!!

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Sep 17, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Fire is a pretty big deal and after a SHTF situation it is bigger yet.

Firefighting training as a must. What extinguisher to use on what fire. You don't want to be pouring water on a grease fire. Chimney sweeping is going to be important especially as more folks use solid fuel.

My father had several extinguishers around their home. Chemical units and S.S. water units. In the barn there is a shoulder "tank" with hand pump and hose for spraying water.

I have often thought about a trash pump and pond. In addition for a team I have thought about a hand pump unit and large tank

Smoke detectors and a fire watch will be required.

I have installed self contained dry chemical units in furnace rooms above the equipment. These units have links that open up at a temperature and release the chemical and snuffing out a fire.

Rebecca, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've brought up auto-fire-extinguishing equipment in the past and I think some of you have auto-fire-suppressors in place. I may have brought up the following product before, but cannot remember.

Some fire suppressors get hot and explode. These have powder. For high-tech, inert gasses are used and people better get out'a there or smother to death -- no oxygen is available. I'm including a video for these "fire balls".

upload_2021-5-14_16-23-35.png

I'm going to be putting some of these out in my work-shed where I have flammables stored. Gonna hang them from ceiling; I'll use their own bracket to jerry-rig something. The shed has vents on its gables to get rid of any fumes. I also need to get some fire cabinets.

If a room in a house is on fire, one might be able to roll some of these fire-suppression balls into the involved area. ???

What are fire suppression methods you use? I'd like to hear other ideas. Please throw-out your ideas and what you have already put in place. What has worked best in your life experiences regarding having had to kill unexpected/unwanted fires. Forest fires -- I'll leave that to the Forestry Service.

Blitz, randyt, wally and 1 other person like this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Years ago there use to be made a fire supression unit. It was like a big upside down light bulb. The small end had a fusible plug. It was filled with carbon tech.

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  4. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    as a plumber i find big upside down light bulb fire things in all the old boiler rooms , It was something out of the 30's when coal was big . There was also ceiling of boiler rooms covered with sheet metal.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    I had never heard of fire suppressors before. Interesting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Fire suppression systems are typically either water based (water filled pipes), gas filled (halon) systems or powder filled system. Commercial /public buildings typically use water systems. Restaurants will typically use a powder based system. The gas filled systems are typically used in computer / server rooms or clean rooms. Once the systems has been set off, humans must vacate the area, as the gas depletes the oxygen.

Blitz likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks TMT. More information I've learned. I had no idea. Well, apart from the water sprinklers. What do you mean by "clean rooms?" Is that where important artworks, for example, may be kept?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My experience with "Clean Rooms" is where computer chips were manufactured. I would imagine that where art works are stored / exhibited would use the gas system.

Blitz likes this.