First Aid To Cuts When Your In Wilderness

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by rose thornes, Jul 11, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. rose thornes

rose thornes New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    My friend got cut from our hiking. She washed her knees in the streams, when we got home she got infections. What we supposed to do in the first place? We dont have first aid kit that time.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well obviously you should be carrying a first aid kit at all time when trekking. If no first aid kit available, then clean the wound as best you can. Fresh urine from a healthy person is good if you have nothing else. Water should be boiled before using it for drinking or cleaning wounds. Salt can be used if you are carrying any. Alcohol/spirits like whisky or rum can be used but they do not contain enough pure alcohol to be considered the best first choice. Perhaps a drop of rum to drink before you add the salt might be a good idea! Some plants can be used as a disinfectant, but they are usually specific to a location, so you need to do some research on useful plants in your area.
    Keith.

3. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I know of salt if you can get it any where and it is advisable to go with your first aid kit whenever outside for hiking

4. john rey

john rey New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    In my thinking don't fully cover the wound of your friend and stay open to make it dry. But my best way for me is put a running water to clean the blood.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/m...2651&sst=7f19a818-3513-437f-8f3d-d37156a4dc6b

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dynarex-...34806&wl11=online&wl12=28933042&wl13=&veh=sem

There are all manner of types of iodine wipes avail over the counter. Get something bigger than the tiny ones. Keep these in your first aid kit. After cleaning the wound, use a anti-biotic petroleum jell to cover wound then use a tear-open 4 X 4 or 6 x 6 pad. Hold the pad down with a roll of Kerlix.

https://www.medical-and-lab-supplie...MI76-Dvr2C1QIVw7vtCh0bLQLTEAQYASABEgLuxvD_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kerlix-Antimicrobial-Bandage-Roll/10339452

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Blitz and Tumbleweed like this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Cuts:
    Stop the bleeding.
    Clean the wound and surrounding skin with iodine swabs.
    Let wound dry a bit.
    Now, apply some tincture of benzoin on either side of the skin adjacent to the cut -- apply to good skin do NOT let benzoin touch the damaged tissue! Benzoin is the stickiest nastiest gunk you will encounter -- this is good, because it stays sticky for freaking ever! And man oh man, will it ever stain any and all fabrics = nasty. It will even stick to mucosa (like canker sores in your mouth) and oh by the way, it is poisonous. Approximate the sides of the cut, but DO NOT CLOSE THE WOUND COMPLETELY. Leave a bit of a gap. Hold this in place with butterfly bandages -- here's where the benzoin helps you. Butterfly bandages alone pull loose; they just do. Dried benzoin keeps the sticky part of the bandage stuck to the good skin -- if it doesn't, then you are applying too much pressure to approximate the sides of the cut. Tear open a 4 X 4 or 6 X 6 sterile pack and apply to wound. Do NOT put antibiotic ointment into an open cut! Over the 4x4s or 6x6s, wrap with Kerlix.

You want cuts to dry out. If it oozes, well then, it oozes, let the serous fluid soak into the bandaging. This is why one must change bandages and why you want to use Kerlix.

Cuts that you suspect will need stitches probably do. Don't guess, go to an emergency ward and get sewn-up as soon as possible. And too, you need a medical set of eyes on any significant cut to see if any debridement is required. ------ Just do this! ------- Don't risk getting some nasty infection. Being "tough" can earn you septicemia / hospitalization / amputation / death. Go to a doctor or get Darwinized.

http://www.patientsleepsupplies.com...QIVCo1pCh0G-wSCEAQYBCABEgLapPD_BwE#googlebase

https://www.allegromedical.com/wound-care-c541/tincture-of-benzoin-swabs-p560209.html

https://www.grainger.com/product/11...3477!&ef_id=WWVzXwAABfD5RMfe:20170712005455:s

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wound-Cl...6028&wl11=online&wl12=382551179&wl13=&veh=sem

http://www.bereadyforemergency.com/large-butterfly-bandages-p-507.html

Blitz likes this.
  7. Roger Klemmons

Roger Klemmons New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    A tube of triple antibiotic is always handy for small stuff. Bag Balm is also good to have on hand for minor wounds and stings.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A roll of good tape some gause and triple antibiotic ointment go places with me. The good tape has saved a camping vacation for me. One the second day of a week long trip I cut my hand open. I made butterfly sutures with the tape and closed the wound. A layer of ointment and then covered it with gauze and duct tape. We fished and swam all week and I changed the bandage every other day. No infections and no problems. It didn't even leave a scar like it would have if I had gotten stitches.

9. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    This is not exactly a medical survival idea; but it is something that is nice to know when you are out in the woods or by a lake camping.
    When a mosquito bites you, if you take the little tip of a fern and rub it into the mosquito bite, it will stop the itching right away.
    Of course, not everyplace will have ferns to do this with; but it is good to know for when there are some around.
    Those little curled tops of ferns are also edible, and taste kind of like asparagus, at least to me.

Also, if you get stung by a bee or wasp, putting mud on the sting will draw out the poison and help it to stop hurting faster.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Blitz and Keith H. like this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A tobacco poultice draws out the pain from wasp stings. I am rather blessed in that mosquitoes don't bother me much and I actually have red paper wasps for pets. I have had bees and used to rod their hives and have never worn a special suit. They will crawl all over me but seldom sting me.

Most of the time if I get a scratch I just ignore it and let it bleed for a little while and them seal it up. Bandaids are ok but I prefer gause and either duct tape or electricians tape. Super glue is pretty handy too. I now especially like the little single use tubes of super glue. They are tiny and just right for a medical kit.

I have worked with my hands for most of my adult life. In machine shops cuts are common. You don't stop just because you drew blood. Bandaids don't stick good or stay good is you are involved with oil. The same is true in mechanic work so I just switched to tougher things.

As I've gotten older the collagen in my arms has gone away. This makes my skin as thin and delicate as wet tissue paper. I bleed all the time. I usually just let it bleed for a little while and then cover the cut with a piece of paper. That makes it clot faster and then makes a strong scab over the cut. My arms are almost a solid mass of scar tissue.

If I remember them my wife has bought me a bunch of kevlar sleeves that cover my arms from wrist to elbow. I also have made leather gauntlets for when I am working with the roses or picking blackberries. I don't seem to be prone to infections. I don't remember the last time a cut got infected. LOL, I have a old hound that loves to lick my cuts. Maybe he is the reason they never get infected and heal fast.

Blitz likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tip. We have a lot of mozzies and ferns here. I'll try that next time.

12. Richard Earley

Richard Earley Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    Pine/fir tree/juniper fir tree sap is a very powerful antibiotic....It will sting but you will cut down the risk of a major infection..

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.