Food in the grassy field

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Corzhens, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In times of calamity or disaster, someone taught us that snails can be eaten. There are so many kinds of snails, the small and the big, but they are all edible although not palatable, huh. For survival purposes, the snail can be eaten by cracking the shell with a stone. For the weak of stomach, the snail can be broiled on fire or coal and the shell would naturally crack. As they say in French, bon apetit escargot.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think I recall hearing that snails can carry something nasty! Also they need to be left contained for a period of time so that they eject excreta.
    Keith.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Your post made me recall the African Snail invasion in South America. In the fields, they are a typical agricultural nuisance. In the cities, they clutter up in the sidewalks and rip off the stucco from the wall. The deadly issue is that African Snails can carry a nematode called the rat lungworm. If ingested, those nematodes enter the circulation and travel to the brain, where they can lead to meningitis. Therefore, you can see that is somewhat tricky to just eat a snail not because they look unappetizing, but because these can carry a parasite.

Ystranc likes this.
  4. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Grubs are another good source of protein food in the wild. I'm not sure how many grubs it would take to make a decent meal. You know, that might be another workable business to start: being a source of food in the wild. You could grow your own grubs and market them. Better yet, you could include a recipe book on ways to prepare grubs over a campfire or outdoor grill.

You know, throw another grub on the barbie.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Snails and other gastropods can carry lungworm, always ensure that there very well cooked.
    Insects and grubs are extremely rich in protein so you can get enough nutrition from a lot less then you would chicken or steak, I'm not saying that the steak wouldn't taste better to me but the whole palatability thing is down to social customs and learned behaviour, nothing more.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I might eat stuff like that if I was starving , but frankly that is why I am a prepper , so I won't have to live at that level . My preparations are for better than that . A few weeks eating stuff like that and many would be thinking about my resources . I suppose I would just have to shoot the poor devils and drop them down our bottomless hole .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I thought anything like snails and such you had to purge them first before you cooked them.

TMT Tactical likes this.