Food is everywhere

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Jason, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    If a person knows what to look for and how to gather it or hunt it a person will never starve. There are so many things that you can walk through the woods and find that are edible that a majority of the population has no idea how to find or that it's there. As a kid I grew up in the country we could walk down any fence row through the woods along the creeks and we would never get hungry until it was dinner time, we had berries and nuts and if you would really hungry we probably could have pulled a crawdad out of a creek and ate it but we never did we was never that hungry.

Ricky Jeringan and Dustin like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    and a lot of things will kill you, notably mushrooms, you have to know what your doing where foraging is involved.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fishing buy small eyelets pack that screw in find a flexi green stick i like puker brush we have here one in hand end afew up one side of stick tie line to hand end hooks and weight in pill bottle line about a little less than twice stik lenght your fishing

4. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    In short run, yes you won't be hungry if you can gather enough nuts and berries.

In the long run, you will need complete protein (all 9 essential amino acid makes the protein complete, and we humans need it). So I doubt just the gathering part will sustain you for long. Either you can get a variety of food including wheat and other grains (hard to come by if the productivity ceases to exist or even just dropped significantly in case of a major disaster) to combine with nuts into complete protein, or you have to hunt for meat in order not to slowly lose your muscles over time.

lonewolf is correct, a lot of things in the wild can kill you. Not just potential poison from mushroom and fruit. Even fish bone might kill you if you are not careful. :p

The bottom line is, in order to sustain yourself for long term, you must do both hunting and gathering if you are unable to do farming and to raise livestock. It will probably take most of your day do just get your stomach full.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The gathering of food is seasonal. The berries fruits nuts all have a time when they are ready gathering these are great being able to store them is better canning is a way to keep alot of things for long peruods its not that hard

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    your not going to find much to eat in the winter, that's when most people will fail.

7. Tessa

Tessa Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I've taken one foraging class and plan to take more. Living in Florida is a mixed blessing, there are tons of wild edibles and we don't have a real winter, but there are also a lot of look-alike plants and invasives that can make identification harder with some plants. I'd definitely recommend taking a class or at least picking up a good field guide specific to your area.

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    My grandmother taught me a trick for foraging that she swears by. I don't know if I would exactly swear by it unless it was a dire food emergency situation. But when you are foraging for food and are unsure whether something is poisonous or not. First, she always told me to separate each part of the plant, like the roots, leaves, stem. Some parts may be edible and others not. Then, you basically put a part in your mouth, usually against your cheek and gum. Hold it there for 15 minutes. If you feel any burning, tingling, or similar feeling, spit it out and rinse with water. If not, then chew the plant and repeat the process between your cheek and gum. If still there is no burning or tingling, it should be edible. I was told this method works best if you haven't eaten anything in 6-8 hours, but it is about as accurate as it comes if you have no prior knowledge as to what may or may not be edible.

9. Dante848

Dante848 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It's not extremely difficult to tell what berries are edible and which aren't, based on things you were told as a kid and just basic research. Biggest issue is telling if they're ripe for eating or not. I've eaten blueberries that weren't ripe, they're edible (I guess) but super sour. Not sure if their ripeness has to do with nutritional value or just taste but it's something to consider if you're going to add berries to your list of edible things you find in the woods.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree that there is food everywhere as long as there are open grounds like grassy prairie, forest or even jungle. But for me who have no orientation with the wild, I would probably go hungry. Fortunately, my husband is a boy scout who is a veteran in camp outs. He knows so many kind of edible plants growing in the mountain. Just look around and you will find the greens providing food like the young shoots of the bamboo can be eaten, he said. And as long as there are vegetation, the fauna will naturally be there as well - but this requires good hunting skills for animals are naturally wild.

In one anecdote of my husband, they camped by the side of the dam. There were monkeys and big birds. But their desired prey was the wild boar. It was also wild and too fast. But what they used was explosive which they planted inside a sweet potato. When the wild boar bit the sweet potato, the gunpowder exploded thereby maiming the wild boar. I'm only posting this to share what I have learned regarding the wilderness.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the northern hemisphere Winter is when you will have a problem finding food, any idiot can survive in the warm summer months, but in the winter plants aren't that abundant and a lot of the animals and birds are not around, those that are aren't that easy to find.