Food Preparations For At Least A Year

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by F22 Simpilot, Jul 19, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was told freezing them only put the bugs to sleep, flour will go rancid over time anyway.

2. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose you meant to say cornmeal . I know flour will store for a reasonable amount of years , but wonder if cornmeal with no electrical power will store for a few years . I have arrived at the place where I need to restock some flour that after many years is going bad . I am just trying to figure out what I will want to replace it with .

TMT Tactical and Weedygarden like this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    have tried to store bread flour for just a few months, it goes mealy.
    I was told the weevils are already in the commercial flour when you buy it and that freezing merely puts them to sleep, when the flour goes back to room temperature they wake up again. post SHTF I think we will be eating different stuff not the usual bread.

4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I started to just let the discrepancy ride, but because members reading this need a clear understanding on flour storage I decided to try to investigate this farther .Lonewolf say his flour goes mealy in just a few months and has bugs . I just checked the processors expiration date on my flour it was Dec. 29 -2011 todays date is june 21 - 2019 . I think I posted earlier my flour was about seven years old but actually it is probably closer to eight years old . So for I have found not one bug and the flour is still edible but is getting to the point of needing replacing . This is not one or two bags , it is several hundred pounds of flour . Perhaps flour in the U.K. is different than the flour in the U.S. . Could environment differences be the answer

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    GateCrasher, Caribou and Weedygarden like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    To me, the real question is "Are the bugs in the cornmeal safe to eat". When it hits to fan, we are going to be a lot less choosy about what we will consume. If you were hungry and discovers some stored away cornmeal, are th bugs an issue or just added nutrition.

Caribou and poltiregist like this.
  6. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Yep, the bugs just add protein. I won't eat buggy flour or corn meal today but I'm not throwing it away after the SHTF. Cornmeal and flour will eventually go rancid but if it is kept relatively cool (<75℉) it will keep for years. Whole grains, popcorn or wheat berries will keep indefinitely. Wheat in the pyramids sprouted.

7. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I just called the Martha White cornmeal company to see if they could answer some of these questions . They are closed until Monday . I suspect they will take the easy way out and just say the expiration date but thought they might could shed some light on the bug question .

8. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    On another similar thread it discusses the longevity of peanut butter . I stored peanut butter . Its longevity was about the same as flour . It finally got so bad it was even worthless as bear bait . I still have a few large jars of ruint peanut butter . The point being flour will last about the same as peanut butter and yield more food per dollar .

Weedygarden and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    The environment, during manufacturing/processing, transport, and while in long term storage, probably explains much of the different results. What pre-storage steps (if any) individuals use and how they re-package it (if they do) makes a difference as well.

All the flour, rice, and beans we put into bucketized long term storage (w/02 absorbers and desiccant packs) first gets put in our chest freezer for a week at -5 F (-20 C) to kill any pest eggs first. The buckets washed first and then sanitized with a bleach solution and thoroughly dry, then packed with clean hands in a clean kitchen. I get new bucket lids, the kind with the rubber seals not the re-openable type, each time. Not to say this is the "best" way, but it works for us for the 5-7 years we store the buckets before repeating the process.

If they don't provide much help, or to double-check their information, I've found the scholar.google.com search engine is a good way to separate fact from fiction. It returns only published studies instead of trying to sort through all the information returned by other search engines for what is factual and what isn't. Believe it or not, some information on the internet is incorrect :)

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    store what you eat, eat what you store.
    fifo-1st in 1st out.

danil54grl and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This week I bought another shotgun (was only $200, trade-in at a local gun shop, had 3-shot capacity, what the hay, I just up and bought it, small game, modified choke). Bought more Spam, ham flavor -- was on-sale. We broke-out some 3-yr old rice, & some chicken bullion (only a few years old), and old canned chicken (had some old canned stuff from work office, retired now, so eat that up, cycle-in new) -- made for a better-than-decent supper and left-overs for a few more several lunches & suppers. We were at a loss for what to have for supper, so I told me mate of over 45 years, "Shoot, let's see how this old rice and bullion cubes taste." All was just fine / better than "just fine" -- people-food great. I'm a man, i.e. one notch above dog, I couldn't care less. Yet this, I couldn't tell from fresh.

Retired battalion Sgt.Major told me, "Just keep bullion cubes, you'll always come by rice." Thus, break-out the old stuff and rotate stores (O2 packs kept it fine).

Always re-circulate your stores / pantries.

Due to Middle East war breaking out, traded collector coins for junk coins. Junk silver will get you by in those days when economies collapse and the full-blown "everything goes to hell" days. Silver and decades-old .22 ammunition.

This past summer, was out at the range with a grandson a couple of months back. So the young man shot-up some 40 yr old+ .22 LR ammo and I shot up some old Soviet steel-cased 7.62 x 54R ammo. Range-blasting, target-shooting, muscle-memory, having a blast fun-time with brain/muscle circuit reinforcement.

We are only human, so we train. Young men always need training. The old man gets in some sh##s'n'grins reinforcement -- getting rid of the cobwebs in the cranium. Fun-fun, send some lead down-range. Or, in the case of ancient Soviet ammo, send some cheap soft steel down range. Too, it was getting back up in the mountains time / long drive back up in nowheresville / use-up what's left of the dying 4x4 / bump, bump, bump, bump, rattle, rattle, rattle, ........ "Look, over there's some deer!" Sometimes, rarely, life is good. "Holy crap, turkey at two o'clock!" "There's a supper or four!" I love nature. My kin were nature.

==============================================

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My preparations of recent , wife bought several more pounds of coffee to go in the stash yesterday . She is now on a second run today to gather several more pounds of coffee . We can get it cheaper by dividing the coffee purchases as we get an x amount knocked off the purchase each day . -- We are looking at the possibility of the Muslim war exploding , making purchases range from either very expensive to non-existent .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure what effect the Middle East war would have on UK imports, I really dont know what we import from that region, our oil comes from the gulf so that could be affected and some fruit probably comes from Israel so that could be affected too but a lot of fruit is imported from South America and also from Europe.
    its going to be very interesting to see what happens in the coming days, I cant see the IDF taking any prisoners and I can see Northern Gaza being left a smoking pile of rubble.

14. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Right on target , with the oil import thing . Oil imports from Muslim nations will be cut off completely if this thing continues to escalate . Biden and friends have destroyed United States oil production as well as the refineries and sold our war time oil reserve to Communist China . - Results no fuel for importing food and other commodities by land , sea or air . -- I don't know how the Egyptian , Syria , or Lebanon Governments feel about it , but see where all these countries are having things blow up , via Irael aircraft .

15. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    UK food imports mainly come from across the Atlantic. U.S. crops took a hit this year; drought, but nothing approaching a "dust bowl" situation as happened to us in the 1930s. America's weather varies very, very widely. Conditions in the Pacific are chaotic and that's where our weather conditions have origins. If the northern jet stream changes course, then we catch the results in the teeth -- hot, cold, insane. There's just no way of saying what's gonna happen in the Pacific and the same is true down in the Gulf of Mexico where the eastern U.S. gets its moisture for rainfalls ... and storms.

Unless pipelines are cut leading to the Mediterranean, a gulf war will not impact horrifically the U.K.. You guys have North Sea oil and oil companies are getting good at delivering liquefied natural gas. Oil field rigs/platforms are targets for both terrorists and enemy nations. They are easily burned off the globe; however, they are at lower risk until there's a WWIII situation developing. Undersea pipelines and digital communication assets are the easier targets in the here-and-now.

The U.S. is at tremendous risk of the Strait of Hormuz is shut-down. Iran, if attacked, will sink all manner of vessels in that narrow choke-point waterway. The U.S. is sending a carrier into the Indian ocean, possibly the Arabian Sea for the purpose of guarding against Iranian naval aggressions. We are preparing to rip Iran a new @$$hole if they push us. For Israel, Iran is a bit of a stretch for a massive conventional attack (short of using nukes; with nukes, Israel could make Iran go away tomorrow afternoon). For the U.S. Navy, a conventional attack on Iranian military assets is something for which we've been prepping for decades. Our Navy pilots perpetually train for that mission. A carrier group includes guided missile cruisers.

upload_2023-10-14_17-11-47.png

[​IMG]

North Sea oil and gas fields:

[​IMG]