Food preservation.

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Lisa, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    So it's summer and you have an abundance of fruit, berries, nuts and fish to stock up to survive on. Is there a way to preserve these foods so that you can take them into winter? Can you make these foods last a few months without access to a freezer?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have found the easiest way is to dry foods. At home we dry our produce in the open oven & on top of our wood burning stove. Out bush you can spread nuts & berries on flat rocks around your fire. Meat, including fish can be dried on racks over a fire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just to the right of my wigwam you can see my drying rack.
    [​IMG]
    Close-up of the same drying rack next to my wigwam.
    Keith.

Lisa likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When considering the preservation of meat using the old-time methods, everybody's first thoughts turn to salt. OK sure, however there's a whole lot more to the story. I'm NOT talking man-made chemicals. I'm talking black pepper and cassava root derivatives (unprocessed cassava root is poisonous; poke greens are also poisonous, but I sure have eaten a ton of poke greens as a boy (must be double boiled and mixed with other greens).

Black Pepper

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/2011/haggerty_adam/food.html

"Piper nigrum in the human diet. Black pepper is possibly the first organism to be used regularly as a food additive and preservative."

---------------

Green peppers also:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26396402/

"Black and green pepper essential oils were used in this study in order to determine the chemical composition, in vitro antimicrobial activity against food spoilage microorganisms and in situ oils effect on food microorganism, after incorporation in chicken soup, by suggested methodology for calculation of Growth inhibition concentrations (GIC50).

"Green pepper oil showed stronger antibacterial and antifungal activity (MIC 0.50-1.87; MBC 0.63-2.5 mg/ml; MIC 0.07-0.16; MFC 0.13-1.25 mg/ml) against black pepper oil (MIC 0.07-3.75; MBC 0.60-10.00 mg/ml; MIC 0.63-5.00; MFC 1.25-10.00 mg/ml. Oils successfully inhibited the growth of S. aureus in chicken soup in a dose dependent manner."
    Here are the results of a web search:

https://www.google.ch/search?q="black+pepper"+food+preservative&ei=IQXbYvtE6bHk2g-c7ZmICQ&ved=0ahUKEwi72YvYp435AhXpGFkFHZx2BpEQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq="black+pepper"+food+preservative&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABMgUIIRCgAToHCAAQRxCwAzoFCAAQkQI6BggAEB4QBzoICAAQgAQQsQM6BwguELEDEEM6BQgAEIAEOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToFCC4QkQI6BQguEIAEOgUIABCGAzoGCAAQHhAWOgUIIRCrAjoICCEQHhAWEB06CgghEB4QDxAWEB1KBAhBGABKBAhGGABQmQVYhkNgqEVoAXABeACAAaUBiAGIC5IBBDE5LjGYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

----------------------

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/piper-nigrum

"4.2 Black Pepper
    "Pepper (Piper nigrum) belongs to the family piperaceae and is known as the king of spices. It requires a specific temperature and rainfall for growth. The part used is small grapelike berries and dried parts and fruits of the perennial pepper plant. Capsicums, chili peppers, and paprika are also included in this category.

"The recognition of the antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of the essential oil of black pepper fostered research and proposals for its potential use as a natural food preservative. This is because existing methods of food preservation involving the use of synthetic preservatives have been reported to have undesirable effects on health and sometimes do not completely eliminate microorganisms. Essential oil of black pepper has been used to preserve orange juice and pork. Also its effect on meat spoilage organisms has been extensively studied, prompting the call for further studies and its subsequent adoption as a natural preservative.

[Prevents cancer?]

"Black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) is a very popular dried fruit-based condiment rich in the piperidine alkaloid piperine which is responsible for the pungent taste of pepper. In an experimental study, rats were fed a fat-rich diet that led to a significant reduction in GST and other antioxidant enzymes levels in the liver, heart, kidney, intestine, and aorta of rats. The original levels of GST and the other enzymes were restored by supplementation with either black pepper (0.5 g/kg BW) or piperine (0.02 g/kg BW) [173]. According to a previous report, piperine also displayed antioxidant activity. Taken together, it can be concluded that black pepper and piperine administered in small doses may have a protective effect against cell oxidative stress induced by high-fat diet, and that effect might be mediated through induction of activity of GST and other antioxidative enzymes including CAT and SOD [173]."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/05/170516105047.htm

----------------------------------------------

cassava root derivatives

Old geezer doesn't fully believe the following; but hey, information is information and one can learn more if interested (me, I love black pepper and my kin used it along with salt and the proverbial smokehouse curing).

https://www.askaprepper.com/this-super-root-preserves-meat-indefinitely/

"Native Indians of South America used this root to make a black juice called Cassareep that preserves meat for long periods of time. Some even say INDEFINETLY.

"What is sure is that the PepperPot was their freezer. The PepperPot was was the pot where the meat was preserved, and also the preserved dish.

"Nowadays, most Cassareep is exported from Guyana, South America and is available in bottled form. It can be bought in many stores in the USA, Canada, UK Australia or on Amazon.

"Cassareep purpose is twofold:

"One to preserve meat and two, in particular its wonderful bittersweet flavour. Cassareep can be used as flavouring to dishes as well as certain soup recipes.

"Now the Antiseptic quality of Cassareep is the wonderment of the Root:

"This property allows food to be kept outside of the fridge and in open air as long as the mixture itself is kept free from outside pollutants such as saliva.

"As long as you add additional game or meat that you buy hunt or trap, you add additional Cassareep, this can be continued, as stated, indefinitely.

"There is a legend according to a lady Betty Mascoll of the Caribbean island of Grenada that there was a Pepperpot (A dish made from Cassareep and meat) that was maintained like this for more than 100 years! In Dutch Guyana also called Suriname, Dutch planters reportedly had these dishes in daily use and kept them cooking for an incredible amount of years. This was also used in many country clubs and businessmen’s clubs."
    ------------------

To learn how to use Cassareep, you must read the full article, because it has very specific instructions. What I found interesting was that what you added to the "pepper pot" was salt and black pepper. Sure must not work on its own.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    An interesting article above on using Cassareep but I think that I will let another one of our members try it after letting the meat marinate in that stuff for a few weeks and report back to our members . The cassareep could potentially be a game changer for a prepper if someone was up to trying it .

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      I don't know, man. I think that the Cassareep / PepperPot is a bit much trouble. I don't put back freshly slaughtered meat; but if I did, I would do what my kin did -- salt pork and all. Notice how no one wishes to preserve chicken! Way too much bacteria to start with. Salt pork, jerky, pemmican, we North Americans know these preservation techniques. Why gamble on something else when you have a winner?! Notice too that if you contaminate the Cassareep PepperPot one time, one dirty utensil, the whole lot goes to rot ... and soon. I'm not the gambler, that was Dad.

Old Geezer, Jul 23, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    as far as I can see there is only a few ways of preserving meat without freezers, smoking, drying, cooking and bottling.

TMT Tactical likes this.