Food preservation.

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Lisa, May 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    So it's summer and you have an abundance of fruit, berries, nuts and fish to stock up to survive on. Is there a way to preserve these foods so that you can take them into winter? Can you make these foods last a few months without access to a freezer?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have found the easiest way is to dry foods. At home we dry our produce in the open oven & on top of our wood burning stove. Out bush you can spread nuts & berries on flat rocks around your fire. Meat, including fish can be dried on racks over a fire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just to the right of my wigwam you can see my drying rack.
    [​IMG]
    Close-up of the same drying rack next to my wigwam.
    Keith.

Lisa likes this.