Food

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Sourdough, Sep 3, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I may be the worlds worst fisherman, with rod and reel. I have seen schools of fish part and swim around my hook and line. The only time I have gotten my fish limit, I shot them. Caught them in a shallow pool and very quickly put them on my plate. NOTE: clean and filet them immediately. It can be difficult to explain bullet holes in the fish to the local game warden. This method may not be too sporting but it did get the job done. We very quickly ate all the evidence.

wally and poltiregist like this.
  2. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Love it!

poltiregist likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps some on here can give me some advice on trapping crayfish . I just don't seem to be able to catch many . I bought what was sold as crayfish traps but my results wasn't good . My guess is either I bought the wrong kind of traps , used the wrong bait or perhaps it was the wrong time of the year . Either way my catch was inadequate even after multiple tries . The traps I had were plastic and were much like a minnow trap . They deteriorated over the years and were finally thrown into my burn pile . So I am able to try again with new traps and perhaps better bait . ---- It was a good thing my previous crayfish trapping was only a trial run for the apocalypse , because if my catch was something my family was depending on , we would have been in a bind .

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT your fishing exploits reminds me of the time , I scrounged up enough money to take my family salmon fishing /bear hunting in Alaska . We were on food stamps at the time so that was a huge thing for us . We packed up army duffle bags with canned food that we bought with food stamps and boarded the plane . We took a bush plane and landed on a remote lake where we stayed in a cabin . From there we hiked each day " more than a mile " to the salmon stream . Those salmon we couldn't get to bite our lures and it finally dawned on me those fish coming up the stream were dying and were not interested in eating . After spending all that money I had no intention of not catching fish so our tactics change to something more unorthodox . I won't put on here our new fishing tactic but will say we were soon catching and releasing because we had so many fish on the stringer it was not practical to try toting any more back to the cabin . --- Perhaps some of our members know something about catching salmon that I don't . If so , I think our members might benefit from gaining this knowledge .

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Signal Crayfish is the only thing I've fished and there was no luck involved, the guy I was camping with new the local water and we ate well that weekend :)

This is a good thread and its got me thinking about food if it really hit the fan.

Wild fruit and veg in the UK is short season stuff, your going to have to really work on how you store and overwinter your supplies. Smoking is the simple option for preserving meat and fish thats if you can catch it in the first place. I've got mates with better hunting skills than me and they come home empty handed some days. Another guy I worked with is from Alaska and he said much the same, you can go out after Caribou and come home that weekend with nothing. You need a surplus of food to keep things running well.

I've got a very basic vaccum sealer, only cost about £25/$35 but it works. I've got about 1000 bags and the machine only pulls about 120W, easily doable off a battery/inverter and that little gadget would make a very very big difference in food storage. I'll buy another three or four and a few thousand bags, take up no room and would be a valuable tool for you post collapse. Same applies to a dehydrator, cheap to buy, easy to run off grid.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I go fishing every Friday year around. I have always fished and am generally successful at it. Fishing for food is a totally different thing than what most people these days do as "sport" fishing. We eat a lot of fish so I am more focused on catching than fishing for the big fish like you do in a tournament. There are a lot more of the small to medium sized fish and they are usually better eating too so that is what I target.

I fish enough that I never put them in the freezer. I like them fresh and since I fish a lot that is what we eat. I generally catch enough for me and my fishing partner to each have a good meal. If they are biting really good he sometimes puts some in his freezer. There is nothing nicer than sitting in my boat under a shade tree waiting for a catfish to hit my line. I bass fish in small lakes and ponds and don’t use my boat. In ponds I have a float tube that is great.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never had too much trouble storing vegetables over winter, I dont believe in all this vacuum packing nonsense, a root cellar or a variation of works well.
    as for meat post SHTF, as I will be going for small game there will be very little wastage, any excess can be smoked or bottled.
    as for fish, I have never gone in for this "sport" fishing stuff, fishing is for catching fish to eat not mauling them then putting them back.
    at present a licence is required to trap crayfish.
    www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wild-food/signal-crayfish-trapping-and-catching.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I got my little vac packer and drier for things like jerky, drying veg for meals, splitting packs of meat especially bacon for trips.

If you vac pack meat it will last a couple of weeks without refrigeration because you've removed the oxygen plus your keeping off flies/insects et al and of course your slowing down the vit loss in veg you pack. A root cellar would be fantastic but these two little gadgets could be a great help while you get established post collapse, remember that a root cellar ain't portable should you neeed to move.

9. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    You don’t like ‘sport fishing’, fair enough. To each his own. Right now here we have the Euro Football Tournament. I can’t stand football, but if that’s a man’s thing, then good for him!

As for ‘mauling’ and putting them back, we respectfully handle our quarry. I CAN catch fish ( most of the time) without struggling. It’s called Knowing What You Are Doing. I have that skill at my fingertips. Not theory, but practical skill.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never lived someplace that had cellers or basements. Where I grew up if you dug a hole 4 feet deep the next day it would have 2.5 to 3 feet of water in it. Where I live is a little better but not a place for basements.

We always canned and froze a LOT of vegitables. We butchered a calf every year and shared it out into about three family's freezers. We also did a hog but to me the best was the little pigs. They were good eating.

It is strange in that while we did calves, pigs, and chickens we never had goats, sheep or ducks except for just pretty pond swimmers. Honestly there isn't much meat on a duck that intrests me. Maybe a goose but those are mean suckers and wouldn't live long. The peacocks didn't last long.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we've got the Euro's now we've got Wimbledon as well., I cant stand either.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I love real football, Rugby football (played second row) but can't stand soccer.

This talk of fish led me to having kippers and poached eggs for breakfast and a slab of buttered toast, the kippers were caught straight from my freezer but were very nice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm having fish for tea funnily enough....Cod.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Not cooking tonight, few things to sort out before I am away again and my lad fancies a curry or a kebab so that'll do for us we rarely have a take away. I do love a bit of Cod though........tempting...she what the lad says.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have sealed screw on lid 5 gallon buckets full of beans, rice and canned hams. All that I care about us having enough food to get me through to the first harvest. I also have a lot of various noodles. With those and home made sauce it will offer a little variaty. There is something to be said for being country raised and liking simple foods.

I also plan on live trapping some rabbits and keeping them. We kept rabbits when I was a kid and they make good BBQ. Where I live there will probably be meat available on the hoof. There are cattle everywhere and we have a severe wild hog problem. I've made hog traps before so it won't be hard to make them again. Without anyone to buy them the ranchers will probably be pleased to share in exchange for fresh vegitables and fish.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    You growing/drying herbs Dan, makes all the difference to a bland meal.

How many months could you feed your family from your stores? If the 'big kill' came along at the end of summer you'd need best part of a years provisions to see you through to a harvest.

What 'treats' do you store if any, a little something to put a smile on the family faces, maybe some chocolate (block or drinking) sort of thing, maple syrup, maybe a bottle of the good stuff.

00:30 here and the American hams are coming on air so I'm off to chat with one or two before bed, fancy some blue cheese and crackers washed down with a shot or two of Grey Goose vodka straight from the freezer ... Na Zdorovie :)

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont know about in America but in Britain if someone can put back 1 years supply they are doing well.
    of course the idea of a stored supply is not to replace fresh food but to supplement it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    If it hits the fan end of summer you'll have very little fresh/wild food to supplement until the following year and thats if you have the seed/tuber stock to get you kick started and fit enough for the work.

Looking at my supplies I could feed me and the lad for 12-15 weeks which I'm not happy about and something I'll be looking at shortly.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    In a few weeks , my plan is to plant a " winter " garden . This is an experiment for me . Already I have a 12 month out of the year food supply within walking distance of my survival retreat , but am always looking for ways to fortify our food resources . As most "if not all on here " , keep a stockpile of food . as Lonewolf said to supplement our food . There is just some days due to weather , gathering food is not an option . Or simply due to bad luck return home with no food for the day . That is where the products of our walk in smoke house excel , or the solar powered freezer . Actually on the entire survival retreat there is 3 solar powered freezers . We have canning supplies but consider it labor intensive , specially when the electricity and propane become a thing of the past . So I am not depending heavy on canning . Another item we keep on standby is a small refrigerator for short time preservation for items such as milk from our goat . That little refrigerator sits by our solar system for when the power company fails .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    IF it hits the end of summer, if it hits in the spring or summer then most people can cope but if it hits in winter then they are probably not going to survive until spring, not on stored food alone.
    if the power goes off in the spring/summer it wont matter much but if its in the winter thats another matter entirely.
    there are many ways of growing food that dont involve heavy manual labour, think outside the box.
    12-15 weeks is nothing, you'd better get your skates on, that might be enough for another lock down but in the big one thats merely delaying tactics.

21. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Another aspect of food is preparing that food for consumption . One of the first things I did after building my home was to buy a cast iron cooking stove /oven with 4 burners and the oven . That cost me about one thousand dollars and then had to haul it about 500 miles to it's final destination . Instead of putting it in my newly built home , I built it's own little house . The cook house floor is made of rocks that I picked up along my areas dirt roads . Then I constructed the walls of 8 inch thick railroad cresoted crossties and then roofed it with a double layer of shingles . That structure will likely last well over 100 years . Tourist will be coming by to gawk at the ancient prepper cook house . I have no intention of sitting in my home hungry on a rainy or snowy day because I have no way to cook .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    one of the first things I did after moving here was to put out feelers for a wood burning stove we can cook on, a prepper friend from Wales built me one for no charge just because he likes making stuff. it has the main firebox for heating and a hotplate on top for cooking, its fairly small but then our house is small too, I reckon after SHTF we wont be doing any fancy cooking it'll all be either fry ups or one pot stews.

23. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    15w off my shelves, I do have 8 cases of 24 hour ration packs (might actually be nine) so and 40 days for me and the lad. Mixed feelings about the new packs, come in bags not boxes and less snacks but more 'sport' drinks in them. Even the supplies I have are taking up a lot of space, a years worth would pretty much fill my garage. I'm asked if I can still get the 24 packs at the right money, if I can I'll get another 10 cases (of ten). I need to get them now, my supplier will be retiring in the next year or so ;)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont like ration packs, have bought a few in the past but very underwhelmed to say the least and I have no use for so called "sport" drinks I think they just make people hyper, at the end of the day nothing wrong with plain old water.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    If your drained and dehydrated a 'sports' drink will work better and faster than plain water. A big gripe for me is the inclusion of a lot of off the shelf items like standard packs of biscuits which won't last anywhere near as long as biscuits brown or biscuits fruit sort of thing so where as the older packs you could leave on a shelf for five years or more you can't with the modern packs. The main meals will still last as long as canned meals and the variety is very very good these days though. Try and get a modern pack, you'll be pleasantly surprised overall LW.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    food packs put together by someone else isnt my cup of tea, better to put together our own survival stores than something by someone we do not know and dosent know us, they are just out to make money.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Do you work out the energy content of your daily diet? Would you post collapse? A good thing about the rat packs are you know you've got your 4000cals in 24 hours, your have a pretty good amount of fibre/vits/carbs/sugars/salts etc. If I'm going on a one or two night camp I can just dump a pack or two in the car and thats my food and drinks sorted; I don't have to give food a second thought for the trip...jobs done.

The Arctic packs are very good, well over 5000cals and mostly dehydrated but are extremely difficult to get hold of in fact its been about five years since I last got hold of any. I think the army still have the ten man packs but again I've not had the chance of any for some years now.

The American MREs are not bad, different menu's to the brit stuff and back in the day a lot of trade used to go on with the boys swapping rations. A lot of American stuff is now in our packs, bread and cake products mainly.

I like to make up my menus too but don't be quick to write off rat packs, they have their place.

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope I'm not into all that energy and calorie stuff (calorie counting is for those poor souls on "weight watchers"- I've got more important things to do), post SHTF our diet will be exactly the same as it is now, we can grow all our own fruit and veg all the stuff we eat now, meat will be a little different as it will all be game not farmed animals(all the better) but the meat ration will be the same amount.
    as for packs I prefer the Wayfarer food packs, I've used them before and I know what I'm getting even before I open the pack which I cant say for MRE's.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Wayfayrer food is more than likely part of the big Vestey group which make the rat pack meals, same food different picture on the pouch.

When you think about it a pouch of chicken curry is around £4 for 300gm, you can buy a 300gm tin of curry for £1.50 and a pouch of rice for 60p, big meal for half the price.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my stored food is just for emergencies, Post SHTF I will be growing my own food, same as now, fresh not packaged.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a boy, there was the pantry and there was the basement (dirt floor, always cool even in summer). Food stuffs were rotated through the pantry and I would be told to go to the basement for the canned goods. The canned goods were jars of jellies and veggies my grandmother had canned back a year ago or so. All jars were labeled as to the date when they were made-up. New jars were put in the back; everything was cycled forward.

Today, what the wifer and I call a pantry or stores would shock other people. We have big shelving in our den that is solid food. One corner of our bedroom is dedicated to stacks of food. I have jars of the items I particularly like stacked under my nightstand (my brand of peanut butter, cans of navy beans, and glass jars of red cabbage). I cycle my tins of kippers through my work office. I have a pantry at work -- which my coworkers joke about. They can joke, but I've always got something to snack on. They stay away when I'm eating fish -- I can use this to keep people from walking into my office, don't'cha'know. I'm lucky to have a big wrap-around desk that has drawer space plus plenty of nice wooden cabinetry in my office. Where some people put chairs in their office, me I'll roll equipment in there, I have zero care about how things look, I'm all about functionality, period. I've got food in two drawers of those cabinets. I also keep extra sports drinks at work. I cycle through all of this food stuff at work. I almost never go to the cafeterias -- way too expensive. I get laughed-at for eating out of cans. I've also got my space in our kitchen refrigerator for our offices. Laugh-away! But, by golly, I've always got something to eat nearby.

At work, people will order out, then have leftovers. They know that I'm the office dog, so they ask if I want what they are going to waste. I always say, "Yes." Arf, arf, I'm a dog.

Most of these people have never known what it was to cherish food. They do not value food. They have never been hungry. They've never feared that they wouldn't have enough. The've never grown nor killed their own food. They've never stuck their hand in the dirt nor gutted an animal.

At home when the kitchen goes low, the wifer or I go for this or that in another room, or if she tells me she's low on this or that or I read it on our grocery list, I go to our bedroom or my office at home and fetch that which is needed. I then put the used item on my personal grocery list. Cycle, cycle.

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no basements in my neck of the woods, they are mainly to be found in old British Victorian city houses, I lived in a basement room after divorce number one for about a year.
    most modern British houses dont have larders just a few kitchen cupboards, if we want a larder we have to make our own, or as someone previously said use the garage but I'm not sure if the temperature is constant in a garage which could affect canned food. wooden sheds are definitely out for the same reason.
    we have a larder in the house, I'm not going to say where, I have an overflow box, I restock the shelves from the overflow box then when we buy new it goes into the overflow box.
    British houses arent set up for multiple years food storage, if we've got enough for a year we are doing well.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    My garage is OK, not perfect but its brick built and shaded, the little wooden tool shed in the garden doesn't get warm, it gets hot, really hot easily 30+c when we get a warm day of maybe 23c outdoors so no hope of food storage in there. As LW its really only the old Victorian houses that have cellars and many of the smaller ones were used mainly for coal storage.

Had a good deal on Nescafe Azera (instant) coffee today in a local Asda store, clearance line on the 150gm cans at £1.10 / $1.50 each so picked up ten cans. Not a bad coffee for instant...drinkable.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    With my workshop doors open and its window open, still it gets to be over 100 deg F, >38 deg C in the summertime.

This past week I was working in there at that temperature. This past Wednesday, it was 92 deg outside, 33 C. I just screened the shop window, complete with frame so that I can keep that window open to let out the heat and not let in all of the mosquitoes.

If you live in the South, you gotta be able to take the heat. Gotta hydrate and remember to watch your electrolytes. I drink lots of orange juice plus use sports drinks instead of just soft drinks that have caffeine in them. Can't be drinking diuretics unless you balance them with water and electrolytes. If you don't watch out, you will pass out.

We took one of the grandkids to a Civil War I battlefield today and it was 85 or so outside, 30 deg C. That's in the shade, of course. In the sun, you'd better be wearing a hat -- white clothes help. There was a breeze going today and there was shade to be had, so we didn't melt. Earlier in the week, it had gotten hot. We walked around in that heat for a couple of hours.

If you add humidity, it's worse. Let's go look at today's heat index ... Ok, so the heat index bumped the 85 deg up to 90 deg.; 70% humidity. When it is 90F and the humidity is 90%, it begins to get where it is difficult to breathe -- especially if one is over 6 decades old.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont have a garage but I do have a shed, its fairly cool because its insulated and in a sheltered location, I dont keep food in it though.
    instant coffee? I drink Lidl instant Rich Roast (red cap)200g for £1.49 and its good coffee.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I am fortunate,in that my house here in UK,has a proper walk- in pantry. It is an older house.We also have a cellar,and it is dry.When we bought it many years ago,my friend suggested we keep the pantry ( many ripped theirs out ,locally).It was good advice.Those two storage areas mean we DO carry at least one year of food storage. At the moment we are concentrating on using up certain canned goods,and pasta too. That keeps everything moving through storage in the right order.

It was very comforting ,when the shelves were stripped at the start of The Pandemic,to know we had sufficient to fall back on. We even helped our children who got caught out.

37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    My parents house in Plymouth which was built in 1956 didnt have a larder but it had a coal shed , at that time we had an open fire, later on when dad put in central heating he changed the coal house into a larder sealed up the outside door and opened up a doorway from the kitchen.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Our gaff is at good bit older than that.We still have our coal house too,which we use as...a coal house,as we heat with solid fuel.

The way houses are built,year on year,do show the cultural shifts in society,don’t they? As you say,modern houses just have a few cupboards,and that’s it.

39. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most modern houses have no larder, no fireplace, no chimney, all electric heating, no mains gas out here in the sticks, if someone has a bathroom then their lucky-we have a "wet room".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I am on my third wood stove, the first was a great heater stove you could load it up with wood and it would turn red hot. it could heat my cabin from -20 degrees f to so hot you had to open the windows, the next was an air tight but to small, the one i have now is perfect. I can cook
    bacon and eggs, heat up soup ect. it has a window to see the fire, it can keep the cabin warm all by itself in -20 f , it is air tight so if i load it up there is still coals in the morning, In the winter i have three very large pots with water that i put on top of the wood stove so if at any time you want hot water i have 15 gallons of hot water waiting. If you are new to wood stoves i suggest that you look for one that can do several things , Heat the place, cook on it, heat water on it, and provide light and a fire to watch.

41. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    My grandparents house had a coal chute into the basement. They'd get tons at a time. As a boy, it was mine to shovel coal from the pile into the hopper. There was a huge death-screw between the hopper and the furnace that delivered coal into the fire. When clinkers built up in the furnace, I'd open the oven door and get them out with tongs that had a 5 ft shaft. The glowing red-hot clinkers I'd put in 5-gallon metal buckets. I'd take two buckets at a time (to balance my right ant left sides) out to the ally and use them to patch the chuckholes. I'd use a sledgehammer as a tamper (I didn't swing it, I used the top of the hammer) to crush the clinkers into the holes and level them to the ally's roadway height. The basement floor was dirt, so it didn't matter if anything spilled; everything was dirty anyway.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. paul m

paul m Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    We have two stoves,and both heat water,and cook too.As well as heating of course. I would not be without them,as it gives such a level of personal independence .

Rebecca, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  43. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are planning on putting back more food supplies, now is the time to do it. Higher prices are on their way.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-...asons-why-you-should-stockpile-food-right-now

"For decades, Americans have not needed to be concerned about food prices. Yes, prices would always go up by a little bit each year, but in general we have been extremely blessed for a very long time. Our supermarkets have always been packed with food, and we could always count on the fact that prices would be about the same a month or two down the road. Unfortunately, things are now changing, and not in a good way. A massive wave of inflation has hit agricultural commodities, and food producers have felt forced to pass those cost increases along to consumers. Unfortunately, many experts are anticipating that the price hikes that we are currently witnessing are just the beginning."

Rebecca, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    food has been too cheap for far too long, supermarkets have a stranglehold on farmers and other producers, I know that most milk producers are very lucky even to get cost price from the stores thats why many are getting out of dairy .
    at one time housing was cheap and food was expensive, now its the other way around, especially with all this cheap food being shipped in from abroad by the container load undercutting national producers.
    people that think food is expensive dont know how to budget and buy the wrong sort of food.

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  45. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am fortunate in that my family ate simple and cheap a lot of the times so that is what I like. A hundred pounds of pinto beans and a hundred pounds of rice gives me a good protean base. Throw in meat that I get hunting and an assortment of native wild grown vegitables and we will be fine. That doesn't even count the closet full of canned things and more in another closet. I live near a river and even now fish every Friday. We are also surounded by ranches and without a market for those cattle I bet that I can work a trade for meat.

After the first year we will have about and acre or two under cultivation to provide us with vegitables and corn. For that first year I suspect that food won't be a problem. The problem will be weeding out all of the idiots that have nothing and expect you to share your stuff and the produce from your gardens with them. If they get insistant...they will be fertalizer for the garden. I am not far from the beast that most people have within. The survivors will be the ones that can adapt fastest.

You can have every thing that a survivalest might want and it will do you no good if you are not prepared to defend it immediatly. If they get pissy with you and you run them off at gun point you are a DEAD man. They will come back and kill you and take what they want. If they get pissy with me they will die THAT day. I will dispose of the body and swear that I had never seen them.

DirtDiva, wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  46. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something I found interesting this past spring , I and some more of my group went up close to the Canadian boarder to look at mountain property for another survival site for a fallback position . There in a store I saw a jar of nasty looking stuff in a jar . When I asked the store keeper as to what that was , found out it was pickled turkey gizzards . I have eaten pickled pig feet but had up to then never heard of pickled turkey gizzards .

DirtDiva, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  47. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Today is a blood and guts day . Given to my clan from two different ranchers , a cow with a broken leg and a cow with a broken neck . Actually I haven't made it to the butchering yet so really am not sure if they are bulls , cows or steers . Hundreds of pounds to process .

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  48. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The Orville Dam in California water level has now dropped below the generator outlets . No more electricity from that source for likely many months . Other dams in western U.S. may soon be seeing a similar fate . Agriculture crops dried up and died from lack of water in the western portion of U.S. . Thus one of several reasons barren grocery shelves of produce becoming more common. Soon canned goods from the warehouses can be expected to follow suite . China is having the opposite problem too much rain has destroyed much of its agriculture crops . Transportation system failing in getting goods transported . Things are not seen as improving but only to further deteriorate . --- I have been busy dehydrating tomatoes , pickling eggs , and plan to start making powdered eggs tomorrow . Lean and desperate times for the unprepared may be soon here .

DirtDiva, TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Thanks man for sharing this info. What two weeks ago I'd heard about the water level there getting low. So now I'm gonna go read about this in more depth.

Old Geezer, Aug 8, 2021
  49. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The L.A. basin is a desert. So maybe it was suited for a military outpost or whatever. No sane person would put a city there.

Same with New Orleans. Back in the 1700s a French surveyor was sent there to the mouth of the Mississippi to evaluate it for habitation (the French did have a military post there). The surveyor reported that the area was situated between a river and a lake and insufficiently high enough to ever be secure from flooding. The only "high ground" was taken up by the military outpost, the rest of the area swampy and thus carried the danger of malaria.

Humans are lemmings.

50. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had to look-up all of the following. I knew some, but little. If L.A., San Francisco, Oakland, Malibu (especially Malibu) were to be swallowed by the Pacific Ocean tomorrow afternoon, I would say, "Oh heavens, that went bad." I know some people who live away from the metro areas out that way, those would be the only folk I'd be worried about. The city-folk know that they are living in a desert and know that they are living on earthquake faults = "Too bad, so sad."

"How does Los Angeles get its water?"

https://www.popsci.com/how-la-gets-its-water/

"More people live in the sun-baked cities of Los Angeles County than the local water supply can support. Millions more. What’s a parched metropolis that’s long ago outgrown its groundwater canteens to do? Steal what it needs from other regions. Using elaborate systems of concrete-lined straws and pumps, LA slurps melt-water from the Sierras and flowing H2O from rivers hundreds of miles away. OK, it’s not technically theft—the city secured water rights decades ago. But that doesn’t stop people at the sources from grumbling. ...

"Water enters this network of channels via two of California’s largest rivers: the San Joaquin and the Sacramento. Some of that fresh water then flows into the 444-mile-long concrete-coated California Aqueduct."

[444 miles of aqueduct (715 klicks), holy crap!!!]

"Some 18 million Californians get water from this river on Arizona’s border. California gets to siphon off 1.4 trillion gallons every year, but the state’s been blowing that budget by some 200 billion gallons. The federal government has kindly asked them to quit it.

"With so much ocean nearby, why does L.A. import water at all? Because desalination guzzles a lot more energy and money than relatively passive aqueducts. A fancy desalination plant opened in Carlsbad in 2015, but it supplies Southern California a relatively low volume."