Food

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Sourdough, Sep 3, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Tyson Foods CEO Says Costs Rising Faster Than It Can Hike Prices"

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/tyson-foods-ceo-says-costs-rising-faster-it-can-hike-prices

"Tyson's CEO Donnie King said higher costs are hitting the firm faster than the company can lift prices, and retail prices are set to rise on Sept. 5.

"King must have had a mental lapse during the earnings call because the word 'transitory' was not part of the conversation.

"Everything from fuel to labor to raw materials (corn and soybeans) to shipping to other inputs critical for livestock farming has exponentially risen over the last year.

"None of this should be a surprise as we've referenced two BofA reports that suggested 'transitory' hyperinflation is not just ahead but has arrived.

"In May, BofA said, 'Buckle up! Inflation is here,' and showed a chart of the number of mentions of 'inflation' during earnings calls which exploded, more than tripling YoY per company so far, and the most significant jump in history since BofA started keeping records in 2004."

[​IMG]

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Global Food Prices Surge"

"The FAO Food Price Index is up 31% year over year,
    indicating a significant increase in global food prices."

https://tippinsights.com/global-food-prices-surge/

"According to United Nations data, global food prices increased 31% year over year in July, owing to increased international prices of vegetable oils and sugar.

"The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Food Price Index fell from June but was still 31.0 percent higher than its level in the same period last year. Over the past 12 months, the FOA’s basket of commodities saw vegetable oils rise 66.7 percent, followed by sugar at 44.2 percent. Cereals rose 29.5 percent, meat 19.6 percent, and dairy products by 14.4 percent."

[​IMG]

3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I posted sometime back about China putting plastic rice into the food chain , but at that time didn't have the ability to post a link . Well here it is . Be cautious as to what you put on the table for your family . I have to give credit where due , the ways they sell the garbage from their landfill is ingenious .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The above link is on how to detect plastic rice .

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Plastic B good 4 U

Old Geezer, Sep 16, 2021
      poltiregist likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What's wrong with plastic rice?! I fry mine up in motor oil.

6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Tomato paste is one way of concentrating tomatoes. This has a long shelf life, especially if in glass jars. The can cannot contaminate the paste -- glass is neutral.

7. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I dont know about America but in Britain our food prices are ridiculously low, everyone seems to want cheap food but its not sustainable, not when for instance farmers are paid less for milk-by the supermarkets who seem to have a strangehold- than it takes to produce it, that cannot go on for ever.
    and its the same with other foods, at one time- in my youth- housing was cheap but food was expensive, now its the other way around and the only way prices will go is up, when that happens as it will most people cannot and will not be able to cope.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The above link is on the fake food coming out of China . One of the fake foods is the meat . It appears China is grinding up rats and selling it as other more desirable meats . I wonder how much of these ground up rats are sold in hamburgers through fast food chains ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    after the china flu and bats does anyone really want to eat anything coming out of china?
    the stupidity of the human race is astounding.
    its time that people starting eating local foods, support your local farmer and food producers and stop eating all this foreign rubbish and its food miles.

11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Chinese fast food in the USA probably contains real meat.

I mean hey, drive down any road and you'll find plenty of road-kill. Following circling buzzards is another sure fire way to find meat.

Yum yum!

upload_2021-9-25_13-25-39.png

wally, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Anybody that trusts anything that comes out of China is flat out bat shyte crazy. Bad enough their products suck but they have absolutely no morals and will poison the whole world to make a profit. You certainly can't trust the officials, to regulate foods, as they are as corrupt as the food.

DirtDiva and poltiregist like this.
  13. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.theorganicprepper.com/vaccines-in-lettuce/ Research it appears is now underway to alter our food . For those determined to keep their bodies unaltered by the government , growing and harvesting their own food may soon be the only avenue . The self sufficient prepper may soon be the outcast , as the mind controlled borg takes over the planet .

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    From my personal experience I'd say the UK is the cheapest in mainland Europe for groceries, and the quality of fresh food is very high here but prices are going up without a doubt. There are a few videos on Youtube where Americans and Euros talk about living in the UK and two things they all say without doubt is how good the NHS is and the low cost of good quality food here in the UK...not sure how long thats going to last though (food that is).

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Home grown or grown in this country is the far best, food quality in other countries is not the same as the UK and sometimes it isnt clear what suppliers put into it.
    a diet in fresh food is the best, large quantities of processed food is bad for the human digestion and can lead to all manner of health problems, such as obesity and others.

Dalewick, DirtDiva, Brownbear and 3 others like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Whenever veggies are processed, vitamins are lost. Processing meat introduces a lot of sodium. We used to buy beef quarters from local ranchers and the taste of fresh meat vs grocery is daylight/dark different. Natives who hunt do not die of high blood pressure.

Old Geezer, Sep 26, 2021
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    back in the day we used to get a lot of minerals from our food, iron, zinc and others, now because of the way food is grown, mono cropping in particular, these minerals and vitamins are now absent.
    also if people eat only vegetables they lose vitamins that they can only get from meat, that is why we were designed to be omnivores not just one or the other.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Canned and frozen fruit and veg often have retained vit content because they tend to be picked and processed quickly. The 'fresh' organic cauliflower et al on sale at £3 could have been on a shelf for days shedding goodness and processed meat like bacon/ham/spam/cornedbeef/burgers can be high sodium so curb you consumption...make your own burgers etc..

1. lonewolf
      as for processed meat it depends on where one gets it from, supermarket meat tends to be highly processed but if you get it straight from the farm they process it themselves, and its completely different from anything you get in the shops. the meat I buy from a local farm is far superior in quality and taste than anything in the supermarkets. I refuse to eat supermarket meat for that reason.

lonewolf, Sep 29, 2021
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Liver and onions is one of my favourite meals but its normally lambs liver.
    we dont get too many seals inland here!:D there was a seal, and later a walrus, making a nuisance of themselves on the south coast in the summer but they seem to have moved on now.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    To be honest I buy my 'everyday' meat from Tesco or Asda but if I want a good piece of lamb, pork or beef I go to a butcher a few miles away and all his beef, pork and lamb comes from local farms, superb quality meat although expensive. If I'm knocking up a curry/stew/spag bol I use supermarket meat and food hygiene regulations in the UK are very high whether your meat comes from farmer Giles or Asda.

I love liver and onions especially with added smoked bacon, thick gravy, mashed spuds and peas.

Talking of eating brains, I read a book about the Andes plane crash survivors; one of them, a medical student told the others to eat the dead but not the brains (high Vit A ) before he himself died of his injuries.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    to be honest its not about food hygiene its more to do with quality, a lot of supermarket meat is tag end, "mechanically rescued" stuff.
    I agree about the Bacon, Gravy, mashed spuds and peas.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    OMG Liver is about the ONLY thing that I just can NOT eat. If it walks, crawls, flies, swims or slither's I'll eat it but not the liver! I can even go for Cajun/Canadian blood pudding.

Ingredients:
    • 2 c Pork blood
    • Salt
    • 2 lb. Pork, fresh
    • 1 Pig's lung
    • 1/2 Pig's heart
    • 2 Pig necks
    • Salt
    • 5 Onions; chopped
    • Salt & pepper
    • Cloves
    • Summer Savory
    • Coriander seeds; crashed to taste

• Directions:
      1. When slaughtering a pig, collect the fresh blood, immediately add salt and stir to prevent coagulation.
      2. Cut the fresh pork, the lung, heart and neck into large pieces. Place the meat into a large pot and add just water to cover the meat.
      3. Add the salt and 3 chopped onions. Simmer on medium heat for 3 hours. Remove the meat from the cooking liquid and let it cool.
      4. Cut the meat into very small pieces or grind it with a meat grinder. Add the meat to the cooking liquid with the 2 remaining onions, pepper and spices.
      5. Bring the liquid to a boil and slowly add the blood by pouring it through a sieve. Stir constantly.
      6. Add the flour, mixed with a small amounts of water. (The flour may be browned in the oven before being add to the meat, provided that slightly more flour is used.)
      7. Simmer the mixture on low heat for approximately 1 hour, stirring frequently. This sauce may served later by warming in a skillet.
      8. Notes: To make blood pudding sausages, prepare blood pudding sauce but do not simmer for the last half hour. Rather, clean the small intestines of the pig, cut them into 20 inch pieces at tie them at one end.
      9. Using a funnel or a piece of birch bark as was the Acadian tradition, fill the intestinal lining with the sauce until the intestine is three quarters full. press out the air and tie the other end, leaving some space for expansion.
      10. Put the branches (sausages) in boiling water and cook for 45 to 1 hour.
      Recipe source: A Taste of Acadie by Marielle Cormier-Boudreau

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL! Flying fox.......taste a lot like squirrel. LOL!

Dale

24. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the rest of the planet, but here in the good old USA, we are allowing our food industries to poison us to death........literally!

Read the labels. There are petroleum products in our foods as well as pesticides, herbicides, preservatives, artificial colors and my new favorite....Natural Flavorings! Which usually have petroleum products as part of there ingredients. Look up what additives we still use that the rest of the planet (or at least Europe), has banned from food.

want to be healthy? Read the label. If it contains more than 6 ingredients or you need a degree in chemistry to pronounce the ingredients, Don't eat it!

Dale

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if I cant pronounce it I dont eat it.

26. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I love Black (blood) pudding, as is or fried with breakfast. Bit of useless information for you, you can buy litre bottles of pig blood in Spanish and Italian supermarkets.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes me too, I think its a Northern thing, most Southerners wont touch it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    A great writer once said

[​IMG]

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    That is very true.
    I took a course in Fungi recognition some years ago and I found out there are more types out there that will kill us than are edible, if a person dosent know for sure then leave them alone.
    or find someone who does.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't pick fungi, I don't know enough about them to risk it but I do love mushrooms fried in butter and garlic or in stews and pasta dishes :) Mushrooms have pretty much no food value but they add great flavor to food. That mushroom cartoon is an example of fate or something, I put some dried mushrooms to soak, then opened up an account on another forum and their that image was starring at me, synchronicity or what!

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    some mushrooms that grow on trees can be used for fire lighting.
    I know the big field mushrooms are edible as we used to eat them when we lived in Somerset, havent seen them in Devon, yet.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    'King Alfred's cakes', cramp balls, Daldinia concentrica work well, I've used them many times in the past, still have a ziplock full. If you lucky and have a lot they make a good BBQ with an intense heat.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  33. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    --- The new black market " food " . As tyrannical governments tighten their communist grip over the people this trend will likely grow across the planet . Touted as gangs smuggling food . For those wondering what to store for trade items , this reveals the real future trade . --- Long ago I deduced if I traded anything after the collapse it would likely be excess food that I might have such as extra goat milk , bumper garden crop , or extra wild game that I don't want to cut up and turn into jerky . So in reality I don't store anything for the purpose of trade .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope, me neither.
    its called self reliance, stash it or do without.
    trading is for unprepared sheeple who will probably get attacked, robbed and killed.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  35. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    There outdoor gear is good quality. On offer is a 25l backpack with a full fit waterproof cover for £12.99, I might pick one up even if I don't use it for a while. I need some 20v powertool batteries so I'll take a look at the build quality on the pack.

38. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't plan on eating ANY mushrooms that I didn't buy from a grocery store. In a survival situation the risk versus reward is just not worthwhile. A CUP of mushrooms only provides 15 calories. You could starve to death trying to get enough from them to do much for you. If you make one mistake it may cost you your life. You will get more from eating the nuts in a pinecone with no concern about poisoning yourself. One ounce of acorns will give you over 100 calories. There are just a lot better things to eat than mushroom in the wild. I like them a lot but just wouldn't trust that I can pick out the right ones.

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  39. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Acorns are OK after leaching, if you don't do that its not a good idea to eat them.

In the UK the common nuts are chestnuts, Hazlenut and Walnut all of them have a very good food value and obviously store well with minimal preparation. Romans used to grind Chestnuts into flour and bake bread with it. I've never tried it and at @ £10 a Kg I won't be trying it anytime soon.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Honestly acorns don't taste all that good even after you soak and leach them!! I would have to be starving to consider them as worth very much. They ARE eatable but they are not at all to my taste. Maybe some taste better than others. We mostly have what we call pin oaks where I live now and the nuts are like small marbles the size of the last joint of your pinky finger. Evidently squirrels and deer don't have many taste buds! Where I was raised and live we have mostly pine forests.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I tried a couple of times to make acorn 'coffee' and either I did something wrong or its meant to taste like shite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably the latter. I think its supposed to taste bitter.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    There you go, I got it right then :) My sloe vodka turned out good though.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it was sloe gin in my day.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    You can use any spirit I suppose, a mate did a sloe rum and that was stunning. I've noticed Stills for sale on Ebay, might be handy after a fall, anyone here tried home distilling ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to food in a survival type situation I think that the answer will reflect to a great extent where you were raised and how much money your parents had. I was raised poor and where I came from that means lots of beans and rice. It stores well and keeps for a long time and when eaten together offers a complete protean.

I like the basics so my emergency supplies lean toward dry goods, things like oil, salt, pepper, spices, sugar, flour, cornmeal, beans, rice and peas. Where I live meat will be no problem. We have deer, wild hogs, rabbits and then thousands of cattle. I am surrounded by water so that offers, fish, frogs and crawfish.

If I have these things and water there are a lot of things I can make out of them. I can make a mean pot of gumbo, all manner of soups, We have native onions and I plant garlic every year. Canned goods are great but short lived and not my cup of tea.

A little off to the side, if I am on the move alone or only feeding a two people there are a few things that I would want to have. A BB gun, a roll of wire for snares, and a sling shot will put birds and meat in the pot easily and every day. When I was a kid I was a terror with a slingshot. Between those and some hooks and line and food is taken care of.

47. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  48. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The third link on the list is exactly what my line of prophesy was a few days ago when at the feed store . Predicting a garden chemical shortage bought several bags of insect control powder that should cover my garden insect problems for the next few years . I already have a few years of commercial fertilizer in the stash . Also am now running my first batch of compost through one of those fancy drum type composters that I recently bought . I am set on heirloom garden seeds , so I am about as ready as I likely will get for the coming shortages or coming non- existent items our spoiled and pampered citizens have come to expect .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    As the food chain slowly collapses we may see world wide the diet of the masses adapt to a similar food shopping experience as shown in the link . Personally I actually prepare so don't expect my little bunch to have to succumb to this level .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe the masses may be reduced to eating rats but it will be a cold day in hell before I resort to that.

TMT Tactical likes this.