Foods That Last the Longest

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to the food that you will need to survive on one of the things to take into consideration is which foods will last longer than others. Lightweight foods that are high in protein and don't take up much space are the way to go. Even if you are storing foods, foods that are lightweight or expand when wet such as beans, rice, and cornmeal make excellent sources for food that will last. When storing vegetables the best method to this is the old fashioned method of jarring them with mason jars. If you are not familiar with this process take the time to watch a video and familiarize yourself with this technique. It is very simple and can safely store large amounts of food for years at a time.
    upload_2016-1-20_23-49-34.png
    When looking for food in the wild that last the longest, the obvious choice will be to look for nuts and roots. Nuts and roots both will contain proteins along with other essential vitamins and minerals. They are lightweight and most often can be eaten in their raw form. When it comes to survival and what food last the longest the answer to that question depends on the situation you are in. Is your survival 1 with a thought out survival plan including shelter, food storage, and other backup necessities? Or is your survival situation one that you were instantaneously tossed into without any preparation at all? Either way knowing a few simple things about what foods last the longest is a way to assure your survival when it comes to food. Remember nuts, grains, roots, flowers and seeds will all outlast any kind of fruit or meat.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  2. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I grew up canning on the farm all my life. The information I learned was truly invaluable. However, I try to stay prepared for emergencies that would qualify as a "survivalist" situation. We have vacuumed sealed large bags of rice, lentils, and other things to have on hand to easily grab and take off with if the situation ever arises. Dry goods like these will keep for a long time, but we prefer to take them out of the original packaging and vacuum pack the things we are setting aside for emergencies because the shelf life is greatly increased when dry goods are packaged using this method.

3. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I really have to make it my business to learn canning. I did not grow up on a farm or anything so learning to can would really help me. I just made a small garden in my back yard so I can learn how to plant. I am learning new things day by day.

4. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    There are a couple great basic canning books that you can get on amazon and a bunch of amazing websites online that can get you started canning. If you have a garden, canning is the way to go! There's nothing like being able to open something you've canned in the dead of winter and still have that fresh-from-the-garden taste. It will make you dread buying produce from the grocery store in the winter when you run out, especially tomatoes, but other veggies as well. I would definitely recommend trying to can pickles first if you like them and are growing cucumbers of course. It seems like there is a plethora of pickle recipes and I find it one of the easiest things to can successfully.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree that nuts is good food when you are in the wild. I have read a story about some boys who roamed the hills (somewhere in America). I was enamored with the line that the boys found a walnut tree and they picked walnuts for their snack. I haven't seen a walnut tree since we are in a tropical country but I have eaten walnuts which are sold around during the holiday season. And since the walnut's shell is quite hard, I guess it can last long for months and maybe even for a year.

Another nut that is worth keeping for a long time is the pili nut which is a counterpart of the macadamia or Brazil nut. The shell is so hard that you would need a hammer to crack it - 2 big stones can do the trick though. But when the pili nut is shelled, the nut doesn't last very long for it develops a rancid odor and taste as if the oil had fermented.

6. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I've heard it said that raw honey is probably the best survival food. Once you get hold of it and can it, it can last for an indefinite time. So depending on how much of it you have, you could have food that could last you for ages. What I don't know though is whether someone can live off honey only.

And in addition to it being food, you could also use it as an antibiotic . . .

Deeishere likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    food that will last the longest are: Honey( as local as possible is always the best), Peanut Butter, and Christmas Cake(Americans call this fruit cake I believe) this lasts the longest, I have eaten Christmas cake that is 5 years old and yes, it does improve with age!!

8. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Fruitcake that lasted the longest was sold in 2011.

It was 70 years old and it was still on sale in a grocery store. If they improve with age I wonder if this 70 year old fruit cake was the tastiest fruit cake in the world at the time it was sold :)

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I expect it was, going on my experience.

John Snort likes this.
  10. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Some of the main foods that last the longest are raw honey, rice, peanut butter, salt, sugar, coffee, flower, and grain. The rice is good for providing with energy, peanut butter is good for protein, honey and sugar are good sweeteners that go along with coffee. Flour can be used to somehow make bread. With proper storage, these foods can last up to 10 years. Another good set of foods are canned foods that are meant to last for quite some time.

11. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    How long is the shelf life when you vacuum the food items? I think I would prefer this over the canning or maybe do both. I have helped a relative with some canning of strawberries before making them into a preserve. I know you have to be careful with canning correctly because of the possible risk of botulism. Doing the vacuum method just seem so much easier.

12. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure regarding an exact number, however, it is usually longer as the vacuum doesn't allow for an appropriate area for bacteria or anything bad to grow. Botulism often occurs with improper food canning and packaging, which is why it's important to know what you're doing especially when trying to vacuum. Botulism grows in low oxygen environments and bad vacuuming might create that environment.

Deeishere likes this.
  13. Vash

Vash Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Great list Aneye4theshot had made.
    May I add something? I think it is a downside to use glass bottles for storage. Glass is heavy, and can be easily broken. Might as well use plastic or acrylic containers for the same purpose. They are much lighter (easier for you to carry if there is the need for transport your food on your own), and they are harder to break.

Acrylic is said to be 7 times stronger than glass while weight only 50%. I got to learn this knowledge when I decided to go for an acrylic fish tank instead of a glass one. :D The only negative about acrylic is it can be easily scratched which doesn't matter when it comes to food container.

14. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would like to add that using plastic may not be the best idea either. I think that after awhile the plastic may become frail due to the heat and crack. I have had plastic containers in my house eventually do this. I think that glass containers would last longer but I do agree with you that they can also break.

15. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the information on the plastic. There has got to be some type of storage that is safer and will last without the worry of tearing. I will research this. I am thinking of some form of aluminum.

16. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    There is a very simple recipe for food that would last for ages without going bad. You simply roast firm green maize and shell it from the cob for easier portability and packaging. This will keep for years. For the nutritional requirements in terms of protein, cut meat into thin strips and dry in the sun or in an oven, whatever you find convenient. These will also keep for years and you are good to go.

17. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:

I buy honey a lot and just recently purchased some raw honey at Sam's Club. I didn't realize that honey can be used as an antibiotic. I do use it for allergy relief. My daughter suffers from the pollens in the air.