For A Lighter Load-out (foot Travel)

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Jul 13, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53392949

Good evening all,

Plastics are hurting the environment to include wildlife.

Johnny Walker whiskey (sic) nowadays much less alcohol; it's a "lite" beverage .... will be introducing paper containers to replace the plastic. Foot infantry and Preppers on a foot evacuation will love the lighter load.

A paper beer bottle is in development. Even with lighter weight, still recommend an internal frame pack if traversing inclines. Two cases, even packed in paper, can be heavy.

I'll bring the chocolate and chips. You'll recognize me from a distance. Will be on our pack mule. Cellophane and aluminum wrappings are still in need of weight reduction - because just can't do what I used to do as a routine.

LastOutlaw and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    And how many trees will be killed along with all the animals that will be displaced due to losing of their home (the trees) in the industrial scale production of those paper bottle?

Regarding weight management. One of my reason of needing kerosene field stove is for weight reduction. Using butane stove (which is what we currently use) we end up with empty canisters, which is not only dead weight but also need to be brought back, while kerosene can be transported in plastic container. Although we can always dispose thee spent butane canister by burying them, our white client hate it when we (non white) are being irresponsible to environmental damage :mad: (as if drilling well & pumping oil isn't damaging the environment)

woodsman and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not buying buying Scotch whisky or any whiskey sold in a non-glass bottle.

woodsman and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Trees and lost forest wildlife are not important. Industrial sales are.

Weight management depends on the mission, the assignment, the topographic environment and the anticipated perils.

In emergencies, such as a rapid evacuation, ditching spent canisters is of little significance. Oxidation and corrosion perform wonders. Plus, in emergencies involving combat, ditched canisters can be recycled by enemy guerrillas and terrorists for the manufacture of ordnance. "Waste not-want not."

I have a hunch some non-white, eg Orientals, ethnic Malay, Himalayan area India black (but narrower face like English and not like sub-Sahara African) and some Arabic black (glance at some post WWII Egyptian political leaders (one was assassinated after a treaty with neighbor), sometimes disposed of butane cartridges. Those Sherpa guides working the Mount Everest market were leaving disposed stuff making the place resemble a Virginia Army National Guard picnic.

The real problem is not environmental damage but that all of us humans are an invasive species. Am still trying to explain this to Greta Thunberg.

Time for a Tiger beer in a glass bottle...................

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Rather than all of this endless stupidity why not just do as was done in the past and put a deposit value on them. When I was a kid we used to go on bottle hunts and clear the ditches and roadsides of bottles. We would gather them, wash them, and then trade them in for cash!

Back then this was done because the bottles were costly to make and it was cheaper to reuse them than make new ones for every new drink. The answer to a lot of our problems would be to make things more durable and to reuse more things than to make them more disposable.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. TMT Tactical
      When I was a kid, every summer unofficial baseball outing was financed by gathering bottle and turning them in for the deposit. We played in a tall grass field and lost many a baseball. Like TD, we hunted down any loose bottles. We even had folks that would save their bottles for us to collect and turn in. Happy times

TMT Tactical, Jul 14, 2020
  6. woodsman

woodsman Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I know I'm to young to drink but i think the extra weight is okay because you can use the glass bottles to store water or make moltov cocktails also if you make a Cobb-house you can put the bottles in the wall to let light in

TMT Tactical likes this.