For Starts, What's In Your Bob?

Discussion in 'First Time Preppers and Survivalists' started by Radar, Jun 19, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I haven't had any packed in a while now. Wondering what is recommended to be in the bag.
    Also, the never coming home bag...when you pack your BOB, how do you know if you are coming back? You don't know.
    Do you pack your BOB for all seasons, or repack every season change? I'm curious.

2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    WOW Radar: You could get as many responses to this as there are stars in the sky. This is an opinion, and you know what they say about those. Let me start with generalities.

I do have two separate bags; a BOB and an INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) bag. There is a lot of duplication in each, but the INCH bag has more long term tools, and is considerably larger than the BOB. How do you know how long you will be? Best guess by the type and severity of the SHTF scenario. There are very few scenarios I can even think of where I wouldn't stay (bug in) or go back. IMHO the 72 Hour BOB that is often recommended is woefully inadequate. I try to plan for at least 10-14 days.

O.K. What is inside? I always think in five categories: Shelter, Water, Fire, Food, Security. Starting with Dave Canterbury's 5 C's: Cordage, Combustion, Cover, Container, Cutting is not a bad idea. Check his website, and you may want to include the second five. I do keep at least two complete changes of clothes from the skin out. I keep a Dopp/Toiletry kit for hygiene, and a pretty complete First Aid Kit with meds. Fire Kit. Spare eyeglasses, extra batteries. I do not plan for seasons in my BOB or INCH. I rely a lot on what is in my car which is substantial, but even that will change minimally from Fall/Winter to Spring/Summer. I do keep cash in small bills. Nobody is going to make change when SHTF. I would say my bags are more geared toward urban or suburban prepping than they are for bush crafting, although I would feel perfectly comfortable taking them into the woods or back country to survive. I have some food, water, and water purification systems. A Sillcock key. I do have security which I carry all the time plus back-up.

I do have other bags that are designed for specific purposes all of which would be grabbed if we had to bug out. I keep a written inventory list of what is in each bag, so if I were not there or was incapacitated a family member would know what they have. I also have written check lists of where everything is, and what to grab if we had to evacuate.

I hope this gives you a good start. BOB's are very individual. No right or wrong. Just what works for you. I will dig out a packing list/ inventory sheet and find some very specifics.

3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a BOB as such. I lived in my van/RV for so many years that it is my BOB. If I have to abandon the van, then we are into INCH territory. I would list my INCH gear, but you might find it very overwhelming.
    Before you can build a BOB, You need to ask yourself some questions. Where are you bugging out from? Where are you going? What will be the general weather conditions in your AO(area of operations)? How far are you going? How long will it take you to make the trip in adverse conditions? Do you have medical conditions? How will they affect your travel?
    Once you answer those questions, the 5 Cs Morgan listed are a good start. Then you need to consider the rule of 3s.
    3 minutes without air
    3 hours without shelter(in some conditions)
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food.

Shelter can be covered by clothing in some conditions but not in others. If you must have real shelter from a blizzard or extreme heat or whatever, how will you handle that?
    Water is heavy. If you must travel a long distance, how will you procure it? How will you purify it?
    Food. If you are only going to travel for 72 hours, do you really need food? Travel is an adventure when something goes wrong. If your 72 hour bug out is interrupted by mister Murphy, how will you procure food?

When you can answer those basic questions, you will have a good start on your BOB.

The Innkeeper and Radar like this.
  4. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I never had a BOB bag. It was always a get home bag that was kept in the vehicle to "get home" from work or elsewhere in the event of an EMP or something that caused a long walk home and I had an INCH bag when I lived in suburbia and the BOL was a two hour drive or a two week to a month walk. I still keep an get home bag in my truck with basic day hike or a couple of days survival items in it. The INCH bag is what I would still grab if I had to leave the homestead and back up into high ground in the mountains at the cabin. If I have to leave the homestead it would be long after SHTF and all surrounding areas were over run by enemy and they were coming up my driveway in force. RED DAWN.

TMT Tactical, Sonofliberty and Radar like this.
  5. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    @Morgan101 are you the one who recently stated you have an obsession with backpacks, man bags, etc?
    Recently a couple of packs came into my possession...no strong brand name, so I suppose for now it will have to be sufficient. In my family we all had evacuation backpacks packed but I haven't given it much thought in a while. It is time.

Good list of essentials. I also recently got quite a few supplies for first aid and I'm sure I can throw together kit(s) with that stuff.
    @Sonofliberty I keep forgetting about the one and only medication someone would need and the herbal replacements for it. I used to have water purification items, not sure where they are...and had one of those bottles with the filter on it, would last for a long time...I'm not sure what happened to that either but should see about getting replacements.
    @LastOutlaw I'm afraid if they are coming up your driveway you may have waited too long to leave.
    What will you guys do with your animals if you have to leave? Or if you had animals, would you take them with you? Maybe you'll be riding horses. Maybe you'll put your chihuahua in a bag. But I'm not sure what we'd do about the cat. :( Dogs bark, are you concerned they'd be a deterrent? Do your dogs hush on command?

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My BOBs run from wallet size through a large pack with a frame. I basically have 4 sizes. The wallet-size covers the bare bones all in small and light versions. This goes in my pocket every time I go in the woods or go fishing. The fanny pack opens up to more and better tools and maybe a tube tent. This is my I have to run fast and far and can't aford the weight that might slow me down. The day pack is a 72-hour bug out kit with water filter and a pot. the smaller bags/kits have water tablets and foil for a pot. This is basically my get home bag and goes with me anytime I am going more than 25 miles from home. The backpack is my I'm leaving and I ain't never coming back kit. More tools and water carrying capasity. Basically, everything I need to disappear and live rough indefinitely.

Along with these things I also will have probably two knives a gun or two and ammo since I never leave home without that.

7. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

Radar: Yes, guilty as charged. I am the one who is obsessed with backpacks. In my defense I have used them all. Many have a purpose, and I use them all the time. I haven't purchased all of them. Some were promotional items, and my hand to God, were promotions from organizations I belonged to already. I wasn't suckered into anything to get a backpack. That said, I never saw a backpack I didn't love.

If we have to bug out we would without question take our pets. Right now we are at three dogs. They are small and manageable. They all eat the same dry dog food, so that is easy. The rule of thumb for dogs, and I believe it is the same for cats, is one ounce of water per pound of body weight per day ergo a 20 pound dog would require 20 ounces of water per day. I ALWAYS factor in the pets. Truth be known, my wife would leave me behind before she left the pets.

A couple of additions I keep in my bags that I didn't mention before. I have sleep systems; combinations of sleeping bags, blankets, bivy sacks, tents, tarps. You should also have a cooking system. Maybe a small stove or camping stove with the appropriate dishes and utensils. I tend to think in systems. What will I need for water? What will I need for fire? I helps me think things through, and hopefully, not leave anything out.

TMT Tactical, Sonofliberty and Radar like this.
  8. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I'll incluce the contents of my B.O.B and EDC together:

Waterproof matches
    Multi-Tool (Leatherman)
    Folding Pocket Knife
    Poncho
    Emergency Blanket
    Paracord (I Don't remember the length of it.. really need to figure that out!)
    Head Lamp with extra batteries.
    32oz Nalgene Water Bottle (Has cool measurements on the side so i can measure out stuff for cooking.)
    First Aid Kit (In the process of putting this together, so far I only have bandaids, neosporin, ibprofun, and gauze.)
    Map of My State, with a detailed map of my local town/area. (Want to change this up a bit and maybe get a map of the US too)
    1 Roll of TP (Never know when your gonna have to go number 2 while bugging out!)
    Wrist Watch
    Multi Colored "Head" Lamp that clips onto my hat, for when/if my head lamp dies. It Has normal LED light, plus a Red or Blue Option for traveling discreetly at night.
    Mini Pocket Flashlight (Not sure why I have so many lights)
    Flint Firestarter.

As every prepper does I'm continuously adding/updating/upgrading the contents of my B.O.B, Also I don't carry any food in my B.O.B But I keep it near my pantry so I could load up quickly on my way out the door.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a good start, and you have the basics covered. Are you planning for an urban or back country environment? If it is urban I would include a silcock key, some cash in small bills, some Immodium AD, Benadryl, a small pry bar. If you are planning back country I might get a tarp or a little more on the shelter side, a folding saw, fixed blade knife, water purification methods - mini Sawyer. Life Straw, Iodine tabs.

Bandanas and shemaughs are always good to have, and have multiple uses. Extra clothes and good shoes and socks? Do you wear glasses? Spares? Sunglasses? Do you take any meds? Would you be bugging out alone? Pets? Just some food for thought.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't use a BOB for obvious reasons. I have an INCH kit, a web belt kit, and my EDC

INCH BAG
    ALICE Pack Large
    plastic garbage can small for inside structure to ALICE pack 11 1/2 x 8 1/2
    USN Seabag
    SAS Survival Guide(in own ziploc bag)
    KJV Bible (in own ziploc bag)
    Ranger Handbook(in own ziploc bag)
    32 gig SD card with variety of PDFs old Smart Phone 2 spare batteries in faraday bag
    handcrank flashlight(will also charge cell phone) extra one in the faraday bag
    USGI Bivvy Bag/hammock/tarp/mosquito net/camo space blanket tarp(2)/sleeping bag - synthetic
    4 Bungee Cords
    water purification tablets
    iodine tablets for thyroid blocking
    eye glass repair kit'
    extra glasses in hard case
    N95 Dust Mask(4)
    Antibacterial bar soap
    toothpaste and tooth brush(2 ea)
    4 bars ivory soap
    Potted meat(2), CLIFF BARS(4), Lifeboat rations, jar of peanut butter
    Vitamins(300 count)
    Shotgun Scabbard on Bag
    25 slugs/25 #6/50 00 buck
    22 cal 500 rounds
    22 rifle with 8x scope
    Lock Pick Gun/slim jim
    fishing line/hooks/sinkers/Eyehook Screw/4 lures in plastic box
    cargo shorts(1) and pants(2)
    frogg togg top,
    tee shirt(1)
    drawers(1)
    socks wool(4)
    water bag - collabsible 2 gallon
    rope small - 50' of 550 chord
    pencil wrapped in Duct Tape
    trash bag for a pack cover
    2 water bottles -lightweight 1 liter, Stainless steel
    1qt stainless canteen and GI cup in pouch on pack
    shemagh(2)
    sewing needle and roll of dental floss(unwaxed)
    ultralight steel mirror
    electrical tape.
    safety pins(4)
    Bobby Pins(4)
    4 stuff sacks small nylon bags to keep things organized
    50' mechanics wire
    folding saw
    Aluminum Foil(heavy duty roll)
    Brace and bits( 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 1", #2 screwdriver bit 2"; 2 ea)
    hatchet
    bastard file half moon
    mill file flat
    4 way rasp half moon
    prybar
    100 12" zip ties
    Leatherman Supertool(with bit driver and bits)
    machete scabbard on pack
    Sawyer mini filter and life-straw(2)
    6 mil plastic roll clear
    aluminum figure 4 trap triggers(2)
    Large rat steel traps(2)
    Large rat wood traps(2)
    100 yards tarred bank line
    100 2 1/2" deck screws
    spool of 12lb test monofilament fishing line
    2 bottles 1000 count 500 mg generic Tylenol (acetometaphin)
    2 bottles 500 count 200 mg generic advil (ibuprofen)
    2 boxes 24 cound 25 mg generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCI)--also available at walgreens under "sleep aids."
    4 bottles 500 count 325 mg aspirin
    2 boxes of generic sudafed
    3 Bic lighers, 2 extra ferro rods/magnesium blocks
    Monowalker bugout cart

Belt First Aid
    Kit: (Small First Aid Kit in small plastic container, inside nylon pack connects to web belt)
    Band-aids,
    Sutures, thread, (2) Needles
    tourniquet
    Large Bandages
    Triple Antibiotic Ointment,
    Tweezers,
    4 Packets Yellow Mustard (Burn Treatment)
    2 Pre 1982 Pennies
    Antiseptic Wipes, Foil Wrapped
    (4)Aspirin, (4)Ibuprofin, (2) Acetaminophen, (2) Cold/Flu Capsules, (4) Cipro, (2) No-Doze, (4) Sinus Meds, (1)Athletes foot/Crotch rot creme, (2) Naproxen, Vaseline, compression bandage, superglue, smelling salts, Benadryl(4), hydrocortizone, (4) immodium(4),

EDC:
    Wearing cargo pants or shorts:
    Left Thigh Pocket:
    Altoids Survival Tin:
    Small Knife
    small File
    Small Lighter
    2 Birthday Candles
    30' Braided fishing line
    Hooks, Sinkers, Swivels
    LED Micro Light
    Liquid Filled button Compass
    Eye Glass Repair Kit
    Dental Floss
    2 Water Purification Tablets
    Fresnel Card Magnifying Lens
    2 Immodium Tablets
    2 Aspirin
    2 Ibuprofen
    2 Antihistamine
    2 Pre 1982 copper pennies
    Jig Saw Blades 1 wood/1Metal
    2 bobby pins
    10' 24 Ga wire
    2 Razor Blades
    P38 Can opener
    2 Band Aids
    Tweezers
    2 Needles
    2 Alcohol Wipes
    Duct Tape wrapped around pencil
    2'x2' Aluminum Foil(neatly folded)
    2 Safety Pins
    Heavy Duty Garbage bag outside held to kit by 4 ranger bands
    1 qt Zip Loc bag contains entire tin and garbage bag
    Right Thigh Pocket mechanics gloves, small vise grips
    L/F Pocket Wallet, keys, Pocket knife with clip
    R/F Pocket Bic lighter(with rubber cap), Ferro rod with magnesium block wrapped in 1 qt ziplock bag
    Belt:Holster Right side: SCCY 9mm with 2 extra mags(transfers to web belt)
    Belt Left side: Maglight flash light AA, Old Timer Folding Kinife, Leatherman Core W Bit Driver and Bits, (transfers to black gear pouch that atteches to web belt)
    L/R Pocket Bandana
    R/R Pocket Balaclava
    Web Belt Kit:
    Left Side Tanto Style Kbar
    Holster Right side: SCCY 9mm with 2 extra mags
    Right Rear 1 qt GI canteen with stainless steel cup, holds small bottle of water purification tablets and 4 small packets green tea.
    Left rear Black Gear pouch: Maglight flash light AA, Old Timer Folding Kinife, Leatherman Core W Bit Driver and Bits,
    Rear folding entrenching tool in plastic case

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  11. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Son of Liberty,

I'm setting myself up for a fall, but ......

what are the 2 pre-1982 pennies for ?

If you mentioned 1909 S-VDBs, a few of us older preppers would remember.

Still: what's the purpose ?

TMT Tactical, Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  12. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Back country, because I can stick away from the cities till I get to my Bug Out Location. And true, I do need to start carrying some cash me on, I usually only carry my debit card and credit cards. I didn't consider Water Purification.. not sure how that slipped my mind, thank you!! I forgot I do also keep 2 pairs of extra socks in my b.o.b because of the amount of rivers, swamps, ponds and puddles around here. never know when my feet are gonna get soaked. My shoes are athletic/hiking, I have no problem standing with them on for over 8 hours, or hiking with them they're pretty solid.

Yes I always wear a Hat (Baseball cap) Too hot for a shemagh down here unless in the winter time, but i could pick up a few bandannas, and I do wear glasses, and have a back up pair, no sunglasses, The only meds I take are the occasional Ibprofun for headaches. And Yes alone. Not sure how i could realistically include my pets in my bug out plan. I appreciate the advice, I really need to adjust my B.O.B it seems :)

13. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Honestly? They help with the arthritis in my right hand when it acts up. I sleep with them ace bandaged or taped to my knuckles and overnight it helps. Have you never heard of copper helping with pain relief? I plan to get some of the copper lined socks, knee braces, and elbow braces for when I get older. I need to see if they have copper lined gloves as well.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  14. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Son of Liberty,

Appreciate reply.

Yes, had heard of copper socks. About 3-4 years ago, an Israeli company opened a branch office in Richmond, Virginia selling their copper socks. Believe they deal in large orders for organizations.

I understand the arthritis matter very well.

15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hsb/chemicals/pdfs/PoisonCPHCCP_Newsletter_Spr2019_508.pdf

S.O.L.,

Believe your above list includes potassium iodide / iodine (KI)

Above link might be worth glancing at. I had some physicians tell me KI is only for young teens now. I don't know this stuff but was asking if I should get a supply.

At the above hyper link scroll down to Poison Control Center Disaster Prep re Fukushima, Japan and USA.

Do note the link tells us that a nuclear explosion is a "complex" emergency. Would never have guessed.

16. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  17. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    SOL - I got to ask, what does all of that weigh out to? The Inch, the belt, your EDC - what are they individually and in total?

I do see you have a cart listed but that is weight too. I get it's to haul the INCH but it's still all weight to be pulled or pushed by you. With the weapons and ammo I don't see a rifle or carbine listed so I'm guessing you opted to forgo one in favor of the 12ga and .22?

It's an extensive list but just looks like a massive amount of weight to try to lug anywhere. Also once packed up I'd think it's got to be difficult to try to get to a weapon if you did need it?

Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    There is actually a little more to it like my shovel, wrist rocket, and 2 50 round boxes of 9mm. All in, cart in everything, it is just under 200 pounds. There is also a 9mm pistol. The 22 rifle is for hunting. The 12 gauge is easily accessible on the side of the pack. I can't maneuver all of that in a swamp, but in most other terrain I can walk with all the gear for 12 hours without getting worn out. Unlike my first attempt at carrying a 50 lb BOB. I decided I do not need a BOB since my van is basically my BOB. It is also my real INCH, the cart gear is last ditch. I can live off of my EDC and belt gear if needed. With my INCH cart, I can survive basically forever.
    As my archery skill improves, I plan to add an SAS survival bow.

Morgan101, Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Taking note on promotional items, a Hornady baseball cap is a new addition but not nentioned. lol
    So, have you gotten saddle bags for your dogs to help carry the load? Just in case your company ends up on foot? If nothing else they can carry tarps and tent stakes, matches, first aid kits, whiskey.
    Getting a smaller tent is definitely a new goal.
    On a post here somewhere, someone mentioned something about a family member not being fully trained. Guys, I haven't done any training. What are you talking about? You mean there are places to go for training for...bug out, survival, camping? And people pay for that? Of course there are things like Johnny Appleseed, a marksmanship clinic, but what else is there to choose from and where would a person look for it? Not expecting any specific response but a general direction or p.m. would be ok. Yes, I'm awkward.

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Aside from life experience; cub scouts, boy scouts, weblows, etc... Most pf my bushcraft/survival skills were learned by taking reference materials out to the wilderness and doing the stuff in the books until I didn't need the books anymore. Nothing beats hands on training.

21. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    ok. I used to sign my kids' cub scout accomplishments, was I there for most of what they were learning? No. They went into boy scouts, a lot of it. I think they both learned a lot and it has helped them as adults. Thanks, I had forgotten about using scout books.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:

Well if you are looking for classes what sort of skills are you wanting to learn? For things more along the lines of outdoor/ wilderness survival/ Bushcrafting; Dave Canterbury has the Pathfinder School https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com Creek Stewart has a school Willow Haven http://willowhavenoutdoor.com and there are other well respected programs including ones on backwoods emergency medical care.

From what I've seen, those classes are pricey and depending on where you live you're likely going to have a good bit of travel costs to get there. I believe some want you to bring specific gear so if you don't have those items more money will need shelled out. Now I believe you probably get every pennies worth from these schools and the gear they use and sell, but for most people I'm not sure if they have the kind of money required to attend. Scout books and a lot of outdoor books are great sources for ideas and techniques along with YouTube also but the biggest thing is that you have to head out and do it and practice it for yourself. If you're not a camper or used to sleeping outdoors you might want to just load up and drive to a local state park or piece of woods where you can camp and set up and spend a weekend. If things go poorly you can always sleep in the car or stuff your stuff back in the in the car and drive to a hotel or home.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  23. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The best answer.........see post #21 by Rebecca.
    https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads...ur-survival-physical-fitness.6651/#post-52164

Radar likes this.
  24. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    yeah, i'm too stubborn to do something like that in a group setting and I'm not paying anybody pretty pennies to show me how to camp out and carry a back pack. To say "training" can mean a lot of different things to any of us. Hands on, real time, do it yourself, and I agree, scout books do contain valuable info. It wasn't just the books for each year but the little handy books for each merit badge.
    It is ridiculous to think you have to "have" money to bug out or be prepared. I'd say it depends on your standard of living. Right now my work schedule sucks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My guess is that most people that think they know how to do both of those......really are not very skilled at either one.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Radar,

Ref those Boy Scout individual merit badge pamphlets/booklets;

The Boy Scouts' emergency preparedness merit badge booklet is equal to or better than the same-themed FEMA pubs !

I learned somewhere that the BSA is being reconfigured or being closed down. Am too busy with other matters to keep up with all of America's changing society.

Radar likes this.
  27. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I didn't say I think I know how to carry a pack or to camp, just not paying someone to show me how.
    As you already know, I'm inexperienced at many things in survival and prepping.

It's been a while since l looked at a boy scout merit badge booklet. (I didn't hear they were closing but that they were and are changing many things, i.e. allowing girls in, allowing homosexuals to be leaders, not sure about much else). I haven't checked but the merit badge booklets might be available free online.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Hi Radar: No, I haven't gotten saddlebags for my dogs. Two of the three are so small you have to use your imagination to call them dogs. Most people would consider them rodents, but my wife loves them so.... Even the third which is not as small, couldn't carry much. More than likely we will be carrying them.

Here is a link to some Survival Schools. I would look for one that is close to you. Do the simple things first maybe car camping; go to a State Park; see how you like it. If there are Park Rangers there pick their brain. See if they know local groups that offer classes or training.

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/best-survival-schools-usa/

Tests come in all shapes and sizes. Lots of websites that offer everything. Good luck. Hope you find what you need.

29. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You likely don't realize that you are the most valuable member of this forum, right now.

30. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Something some my find of interest . There was a guy in my area that had a survivor /prepper following that would go camping every winter to practice bugging out in harsh conditions . On their last trip , I don't remember the exact number but seems like about forty members went on their annual winter camp out . When the appointed day arrived it was bitterly cold with ice and snow accumulation . They went camping and their leader soon became sick . They had been posting nearly daily on U-tube until he became sick . I never saw another U-tube post concerning that group after that .

Radar likes this.
  31. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    That's an extensive list, @Morgan101 . Are all preppers and survivalists loaded with money and no family? I will look into it though. Thanks, I appreciate the link.
    Many paths to choose...let me think about self defense training before wilderness survival? So many choices...
    @IBME why do you say that I am valuable to the forum right now? I think about dropping the forum because I consider myself too inexperienced to even make comments.
    I'm not as sharp as I used to be, for sure. My consciousness knows this.
    I hang out here because the level of intelligence seems higher than other forums with discussions that touch on what next in many aspects of living, discussion of "if this happens what will you do," this is what i did because it did happen to me, etc.
    Off topic again. Want me to go away? I thought I was one of the undesirables for a survival forum.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  32. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Most are full of talking and pretending, and extremely short on experience. I think most are simply fascinated with the idea of SHTF, and enjoy reading and talking about it. Many have one AR-15 and zero operating skills. They have zero spare parts, or knowledge of how to fix the simplest malfunction.

TMT Tactical, poltiregist and Radar like this.
  33. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar: Perish the thought!! Why would you want to leave or think you are undesirable!!! This is where you can learn ( for free!!!). Your comments and questions are always welcome. I can't speak for everyone, but I would say most of us are hardworking people from modest backgrounds. All of the supplies we have amassed have been done on a budget. You prioritize, and get what you think is most important when you can. Keep a list and work your way through. As much as I would like to, I have never taken a class. They don't fit my budget or my schedule. I hope you will stick with us.

34. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Fascinating? Shtf? I find it scary. If I am better prepared then maybe I'll still be scared, but prepared. Confidence can be a hindrance, over-confidence kills, doesn't it?
    Handling guns, I'm like a baby.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You are authentic, and seriously concerned. Your asking good questions, and follow-up questions for clarification. You don't realize it but your triggering far more knowledgeable members to look inside themselves, and assess their coverage of subjects you raise. Most importantly you are not in it for entertainment, your concerned.

36. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Exactly, and you can look at old posts with a fresh set of eyes, and ask all new questions. It helps all of us. Makes us think again. What a concept. :confused:

37. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't worry to much about guns. That can be a longer term goal. Heaven knows there is a wealth of knowledge here about guns. If you have a question you can start a thread or PM one of us, and get all the info you need. There are lots of other methods of self defense available to you.

SHTF doesn't have to be scary when you prepare for it. Sure, we are all going to be concerned, maybe even a little afraid, but the more prepared you get the less scary it is.

38. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    @CountryGuy I looked at the 2 links you posted. Thanks. I wonder if I could get some other females together to attend? The one is a 72 hour course. Just enough time to break me.
    Guns. I'm not comfortable handling guns but I can hit my target. Enough to be dangerous.
    Self defense, I meant if I'm attacked, etc. I've received a few pointers from friends but a little martial arts skills might help.

39. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Radar,

There are different levels of education/training in the prepper / survival arena. The basic skill courses can be found at no cost to individuals. At the advanced-level, there is obviously a cost. I mentioned here at msf.com I took a course on helicopter evacs at sea. Once I took a course on, for lack of a clear word, : hiking. This was advanced-level, paid for by an oil company. One matter learned was our new back packs had shoulder straps that unfolded into fluorescent white strips to mark an "X" marks the spot in case of need for rescue by search and rescue (SAR) aircraft.

Consider contacting your area emergency management office to ask about no-cost prep courses. I've been teaching anti-terrorism insurance to some businesses per request. My rambling is a public service.

You brought up an important point: an area in-person group to learn together.

Your older question in re BOB bags adjusted for the season or loaded for year-round deployment. I do a combination. My study, the size of a 40 ft ocean container (built over and around one) is now a staging area for my kits. Had mentioned earlier my hard hat bag has the various season inner hats, extra batteries for helmet light and 2 mosquito nets (actually bee nets).

My prep is advanced-level so my staging area had clothing for other areas besides the mid-Atlantic.

I'm looking at my notes on traveling on sea ice. Not appropriate for here as of now.

All this takes time and once mastered, too many infirmities to get out of Dodge (GOOD) in safety. Besides training for multiple types of topo area and climates, I also train under presumption of injuries. Again, allocate time and feel free to ask specific questions.

TMT Tactical, Morgan101 and Radar like this.