Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by pacmantacman, Apr 18, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Can we really avoid all victimization? Unlikely! Robberies, assault, theft, sexual assaults, kidnappings, torture, attempted homicides, among other things are all possibilities.

Within your survival group there are also more likely opportunities for victimization including lies, gossip, in justice, manipulation, deception, bullying, rudeness, disrespect and a number of other things are extremely likely. Especially as the stress level goes up. Group dynamics is an underrated issue.

Not to mention personal failures like bad decisions leading to negative consequences resulting in depression, lack of confidence, moral injury, post traumatic stress and the list goes on.

I would like to bring up the power of forgiveness for long term survival. Resiliency in spirt can not be overrated. Forgiving those who victimize you in big and small ways. And forgiving yourself for personal mistakes.

I’m not suggesting to always forget, but I have found that to win I must always forgive.
    Hate maybe a powerful weapon but it pails in comparison to forgiveness in my opinion.

I would say your ability to forgive now is a strong indicator of how forgiveness or the lack there of will effect you post shtf.

Thoughts?

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I never forgive or forget but I don't allow it to bother me either. Retribution is not required unless it involves physical injure to me or mine and then only if the legal system fails to do it's job. I never lose sleep over a past misdeed, mine or somebody else's. I learn from my mistakes and try to never repeat them. Regrets, sure but forgiveness is not required. I harbor no desire for revenge but neither will I be unhappy if a person who has violated my trust has a misfortune. Life is too short to worry or be concerned about other folks but I also don't plan to give them second chances. I have never had good results from giving second chances.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Ystranc, Morgan101 and Sourdough like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think this must come down to an individual's life experiences & lessons they have learnt. I do not forgive or forget, not ever, not if the trespass is bad enough to warrant it. If this happened with a member of my group that was not family, they would be gone. Fortunately the majority of my group is family.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't forgive or forget either, especially if its someone I classed as a friend.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Let me throw a couple of variations into the question before I answer. Who am I going to forgive, and forget? What am I going to forgive and forget?

If it is a blood family member, not an In-Law, I will probably forgive and forget. An In-Law falls much farther down the list into a maybe category. An acquaintance, friend is a grossly overused term, no. I will probably not forgive and forget.

Secondly, what am I being asked to forgive and forget. A minor infraction that does little or no harm I could probably overlook. Learn from it, and don't do it again. We are all human, and everyone makes mistakes. If it is something more egregious and causes serious harm, or puts the group in grave danger? Sorry, you are gone. It will not be tolerated, forgiven or forgotten.

Something else that might influence my thinking is past performance. Has this infraction, or one very similar to it happened before? Is this person just a screw-up that never gets anything right? Could the minor infraction have turned into something catastrophic under different circumstances, and you just got lucky?

IMHO we have to evaluate every situation as it occurs, and decide a course of action.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends if its now or post SHTF.
    if its now I just ignore them and have nothing to do with them, post SHTF turning my back on them could be fatal.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  7. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    So your brother in law screws up, what do you do?

Chuck him out and your mrs might turn on you, let him stay and he will feel protected and may cause more trouble!

Group dynamics can be a problem, damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Which bond is stronger? husband-wife or brother-sister

8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

I agree with you, but I didn't say I would throw him out. I just wouldn't forgive, and forget.

Probably watch him a lot more closely next time. Maybe give him a lot less responsibility until he proves his worth. Agree 1000%. Group dynamics can be a nightmare.

pacmantacman and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't care what the mrs thinks, she can join the BIL if she wants, not likely to happen as she thinks the inlaws(her family) are a waste of space and wont survive anyway, they are far enough away (don't live local) that it wont be a problem.

10. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    I’m not suggesting forget, especially when it pertains to your safety. Forgiveness though I do promote. And that’s not to say they don’t still experience consequences. In some cases you might hunt these people down. But the forgiveness is for you and people you love.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if people transgress they must accept the consequences, maybe they should think about that before they do something stupid. but they wont because they are human beings and human beings are stupid.
    give me a good dog anytime.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a pretty forgiving person as far as anybody but myself. That said I have learned that if someone screws you once they will do it again as many times as you will forgive them. If a friend screws me I will forgive him but that doesn't mean that I will ever trust him again in the same way. It seems like every time that I have given someone a second chance that I have gotten screwed a second time. Finally, I learned my lesson. There is forgiveness and there is foolishness and then there is downright stupidity. I no longer am a stupid fool.

Forgivness doesn't mean that I like you, respect you or trust you. Forgiveness comes in many levels. If you attack me, I might forgive you, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to beat the hell out of you. Sometimes all forgiveness may mean in a post-apocalyptic world is that I won't kill you today...

13. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    It seems like someone has seriously done you wrong in the past? Unfortunately humans often do stupid things.

14. lalakai

lalakai Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    My perspective is based on having a son that went off the deep end with drugs, alcohol and CSC, impacting the entire family, sometimes directly. He's in prison now. I'm the only one that keeps contact with him and even that is a struggle.....if I bring up too many memories, it's very difficult to even look at him. He will never be able to return home.

I can't forgive and forget, not when he deliberately acted against family, nor can I just give up on him. In a group situation after SHTF, I could probably live with someone acting stupidly, unless it was deliberately aimed at harming someone in the group. At that point they would be given some supplies and warned to not return. To protect the group I would take whatever action would be necessary............such as sending my son to prison, to keep my family safe.

Tough call.

15. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    It sounds like you understand the realities of dealing with un-forgiveness. I understand forgetting in this case is not realistic but is forgiveness impossible? I would argue that sending him to prison was likely the most loving things to do. Actions have consequences.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Feign forgiveness until the common enemy is finished, then put one behind your "friend's" ear. Take his food, impregnate his widow, and sell his children.

I mean this in the best way, of course.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    In the past I've been accused of being too clinical, I don't show anger outwardly but I do find that some incidents stay with me.
    Some incidents where I was wronged I feel that I should let go of and forgive but there are also quite a few things that I have done to others that I wish I could be forgiven for. I've not always been the balanced chilled person I am today. I need to keep the bad things that I've done in the background of my mind so that I don't make the same mistakes again. I don't expect forgiveness but I can improve myself.