Frankenfish = Northern Snakehead- Article

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Pragmatist, May 27, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Catch it kill it and EAT it. they got here because they are a favored eating fish in their native habitat just as the Europeans introduced the common carp to the American waterways in the mid-1800s.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon TexDanm,

Great history.

An additional thank you re history of dwelling living in older era when less time spend in the house.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My family was a farming family. I remember with great fondness the visits to the old family place and the pleasures of the work and play that went along with it. We seldom went into the house and to my memory, the TV was never turned on. When the day was done we ate supper and then sat out in the yard or on the porch and visited. The menfolk usually took a yard bath and allowed the ladies the bathroom. As often as not all of the men and most of the women used the outhouse during the day and when I slept on the porch I used it at night.

You would have four or five generations gather together to harvest and can the fresh produce. We had an old gas stove that we hauled out under the live oaks to run the pressure canner and used huge castiron washpots to blanch and cook what we canned on wood fires. there was a connection made between generations from men and women that were born in the 1800s through kids like me. I miss that more every year now. Those people taught me how to do the many things that allowed them to not just survive but to thrive in hard times far past this silly COVID issue. Nearly all of that dies with me. I tried but how can you compete with video games and schools that teach your kids that those old people and old ways were wrong, bad, and stupid.

5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Haven't caught one yet. I hear they taste like cod but less fishy. Anyone here ate one? What did it taste like? How did you cook it?

Dale

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    From what I have read it sounds like you filet them and fry them up or bake/broil them like any of the other more firm-fleshed fish like bass and catfish. They have not got to Texas yet but I have watched several videos about fishing for them in Florida and they sound strong and aggressive so they will be fun fish on topwater baits. We have several toothy fish in Texas so that isn't any sort of problem. I like to occasionally fish for the big alligator gar and the Bowfins. they are both toothy and great sport fish. Our gar often run well over 100 pounds so they are beginning to attract a lot of attention.