Free Fire Starting "kindling"

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Sourdough, Oct 11, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Free fire starting "Kindling".

When in the big box hardware stores for any reason, I always ask the person at the paint mixing area, if I can have some paint stirring sticks. They always say, "help yourself, they are free".

To which I say, Thank you, is there a limit or could I please have ten". Always the reply is, "take as many as you want".

So using a hacksaw, which makes for less loss to sawdust, I cut them into one inch long pieces, then split some to toothpick size and some larger and some full with. Grab a handful and drop them centered on a paper towel, add a small half spoon of Vaseline and drop into a small ziplock type bag. Then roll that up in a few sheets of newspaper, and into another ziplock bag (I use the cheap copy ones from Walmart. I am in the woods nearly everyday, I actually rarely ever make a fire, but I like having these neat starters in a pocket of my backpack. And there are several in each cache site.

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes I add a full pack of paper matches inside the outer ziplock bag. If they get destroyed from the Vaseline, "So'What" just more firestarter.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I use those things for all sorts of things. The best ones are thick enough to be fairly stiff and I take them and with spray glue add sandpaper and Emory cloth onto them. It is great for sharpening things and I use them a little like a fine wood file to take corners off. They make longer and heavier ones for stirring bigger buckets of paint I have glued leather to one of them one side is the smooth side and the other side is the rough side, It is a great strop for my larger carving knives and a good use for trimmings off leather when I am cutting up a big piece of leather to make something. I gave one to my Daughter and my Grandbaby is still mad at me for that. I also use those yardsticks that some give away and some sell for a dollar.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Diamond match company no longer makes useful matches. They were once a decent company. Diamond "greenlight" brand has green match tips. These tips are too small to light and stay lit. Do not buy them.