Free-free-free "woodpile Report" Hot Off The Blog.

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Sourdough, Sep 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Saved for a later post.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I asked my granddad about the great depression and he said he never heard of it. Sometimes it pays not to be a bigshot.

I enjoy the woodpile report.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I expect your grandad isn't old enough, most people from that era are all dead.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    My granddad has been dead for nearly 35 years, he was born in 1901. I asked him the question back when I was in grade school.

TMT Tactical, Alaskajohn and elkhound like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    alright, that explains it. don't know why he never heard of the depression though.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would be pretty certain your Grand Dad knew plenty about the Depression. He just didn't want to tell you, or didn't want to talk about it. He would have been in his late 20's. Almost impossible he wasn't affected some how.

TMT Tactical, randyt and lonewolf like this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its a bit like my parents who were in WW2, they never talked about that either.

TMT Tactical, randyt and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My father-in-law was the same way. I know he was awarded a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart, so he saw significant action. Lost his leg in Belgium. He never talked about it, and the unwritten rule, which everyone respected, was don't bring it up.

10. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I asked my aunt about it and she replied that they were poor farmers and wall street and such was worlds away. I think perhaps that my granddad figured the depression only affected rich people. In his world rich people had jobs, he was a subsistence farmer. I got the impression his life was not much different in 1928 versus 1932.
    Eventually my granddad became a blacksmith, then welder, then machinist.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

That makes sense. He was so far removed from it, and working like a rented mule, he didn't pay any attention. As long as the bank he was dealing with was solvent if he dealt with a bank at all. He had his own problems to worry about.

An interesting sidebar: Back in the 80's when states were looking at legalizing gambling a friend asked his father what he thought about it. The father replied " I been a wheat farmer in Western Kansas my whole life. All I ever done was gamble."

TMT Tactical, randyt and Sonofliberty like this.
  12. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I mostly read about Africa and Alaska from the period of 1880-1940. Mostly the explorers, professional hunters, and gold miners and early homesteaders. For the most part they knew zero about world events, including world wars.

TMT Tactical, randyt and Morgan101 like this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you were already poor the depression didn't have a great effect on you. My family was a farming family. they didn't have any money but they ate pretty well and were not as affected by the depression as urban people were. Rural people have a lot more access to resources like fish, game, and gardens than someone living in an apartment a big city that is suffering from all sorts of businesses closing down.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my family were all farmers and fishermen going back centuries.
    my farming uncles emigrated to Canada in the 1930s. too many boys in the family, only 1 would inherit.

TMT Tactical likes this.