Freeze Dried Hide

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by randyt, Feb 9, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    my favorite way to process a hide is to stretch it in a frame and let it freeze dry. Then scrape the flesh side clean and if buckskin is wanted scrape the hair side clean. Then I cut it from the frame and brain it or use soap and neatsfoot oil. I like to soften it in the cold too, work it some and then let it freeze a bit, then work it some more seems to soften up easier that way. Then smoke it over a punk.

here's one I framed up today, not sure who skinned it
    aebc334186d88d90f810457903c14fe6.jpeg

here's my smoker
    aebc334186d88d90f810457903c14fe6.jpeg

2. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Love your process AND your pics. thank you for sharing!

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    thought to add, I don't leave the hide out in the weather. this one got snowed on while I was stringing it up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. What are you going to make with it when it is tanned?

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple deer hides that I plan on leaving the hair on and will use them for ground pads for winter camping.

TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.