Freezing To Death Exaample While Winter Camping In Tent.

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by George Collins, Feb 2, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. George Collins

George Collins Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Youtube video link.

As shown, 2:50 into video. A fire, any. Will melt the snow present. So everyone and everything. Will become soaking wet, in real life, most likely. Almost guaranteed, in real life. Unless very careful, to shovel out, all the snow, and dry everything out, carefully, as not to melt synthetics, or damage nature material. You, and all others present, in such a situation, will be, in a real life, fighting for your life, in a real wilderness survival situation. Where it is really possible, that none, will survive the night. Or need amputations later. Don't bother, I guess then, with trying to dry out down. Unless you have no choices, at all. Like to merely, to stay alive then.

People, start to think wrong, and make poor decisions. When they get cold. To the point, they can not, even tell you, there own name anymore. Or respond, in any way, to you. Never watched the whole video yet. A good lesson, for all to heed anyway, regardless. Carbon monoxide poisoning is another real possibility. You get headaches, and start making poor decisions too, and then, go into a coma, and then die. Need proper ventilation. This stuff, like having a fire, (not suppose to) inside a tent. In my opinion. Is all based upon the past, when people had breathable canvas tents (major air circulation), and wood stoves in them, to stay warm and alive. They had no choices, at all.

This person may know this, as I wrote above, but is not fully, consciously, realize, this point I made. I knew this, and know this, and did not, fully, and consciously, realize how import this is, until I watched this video. Kind of just understood, and you just, do it.

Spruce bows can be placed as a floor, in the tents. Eventually, and especially, if you shovel all the snow out, to the ground, and a few feet from the tent itself too, outside. It should dry out. About 6 inches of tree branches, (compressed) with the needles facing downwards. Pine well smells like pine, and will become a bit (lots) sticky, and gummy. In the winter for example, or when dry, in the summer, and you grab onto a pine branch. It will be like grabbing onto barbed wire. It hurts a lot, and some pine needles, will break off, and be stuck into your skin. Kind-of like, porcupine quills, stuck in your skin with-out the barbs, of course. May still break off the tips some what, deep inside your hand, or fingers, or both. Pull straight out.

If you get whipped across your face with a branch like that. You will most likely, seriously hurt your eyes, and they me be permanently damaged. So safety glasses, with high visibility lanyards on them, and gloves, are critical gear to have, for safety purposes. And will most likely save you from finding out what could have happened to one or both eyes. Pretty well guarantee it. At least once. All gets hanged on a tree branch, to make them easier to spot. When tired mistakes happen, things get forgotten, etc. Taken off for sleeping, etc. Remember getting, and cutting wood and such. Hit the tree with the back of your axe to knock the snow off. Or else the snow will get down you back. That is what it does. Branched may also break off then, and hurt, or kill you, so be careful. Watch for falling branches. No one in your way to back off fast, etc. Clear way, to get out of the way, of a falling branch.

More info in attached pdf file.

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most modern tents I have seen have built in floors so having a fire inside them isnt possible, also having a fire inside would lead to carbon monoxide poisoning .

3. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    the guy does not know winter camping. first off most winter tents are doubled walled. This keeps the heat in, this is what you use
    [​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    Well it has been decades for myself. Doing anything adventurous outdoors. You can have a fire on a floored tent if you have some plywood, and maybe also put some 2 by 4s underneath the plywood. Place stove on top. Would be dangerous though. Again canvas tents above (lots of air circulation). When I grew up, all had single walled canvas tents, when they used canvas tents. Canvas tents are quite nice to use in better weather. Very heavy though. Need boat or snowmobile realistically to travel with canvas tents.

My grandfather, when a kid, actually meet voyageurs. Travelling between Labrador and Quebec. He said they looked like pro football players you see on tv. With short haircuts. They had so little food to eat, they ate the bark off trees, on the way. When they could not get game I guess. Sort of, just understood, you should, or I should, understand that. I seen a Quebec made picture of voyageurs before. just ordinary looking men not fat. Has been made romantic. Romantic suffering. Romantic suffering, unless your are experiencing it yourself. Then it is horrific suffering.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    I watched a episode of Ray Mears show before. He was sad, the locals living in a jungle. Didn't want to live in romantic suffering anymore, and wanted a single outboard motor to use. For there village to use, if I remember correctly now. You know, if your child gets sick, and might die, of a infection, if they do not get that kid to a hospital fast. Or just to make life a little more bearable to live in. Not hard manual labour, all of the time. To get anything done.

He would not dare, put up with such things in his own personal life. He is just passing through after all.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    You might want to read "the lure of the Labrador wild" sometime. Maybe get a audio book version if you can. If you have every heard of people eating there own leather shoes and or leather belt. This is that tail. Really happened. One wrong turn on the river. One mistake, and it's a movie. Can buy the book here. https://www.amazon.com/Lure-Labrador-Wild-Wallace-Dillon/dp/1604242140

A free version of the book. https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4019/4019-h/4019-h.htm

You might find some of these stories interesting. The older books especially, and what people cared about. http://www.themdays.com/

There might have been some cannibalism. Someone lied, about stuff, that caused lots of hardship, and a death. Might have been murder. In the "Lure of the Labrador Wild".

Munch munch munch, in the crunch. Crusty snow. Where the wind blows, and howls at you.

Well the "Howling winds".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    I should add, wet falling snow is the worst. That mostly likely, will kill you. Everything gets soaking wet. Stay in your tent. Keep a fire going. Needs to be covered some what anyway, if outside. Put wood beside the fire to dry out. Standing deadwood. Only the surface is wet. Basically cut into really thin, like paper thin pieces. Place wood by the fire to dry out.

You can just burn a standing dead wood tree in half. If long enough. Burn the 2 halfs, in 1/2 again. Then add that, to the fire as needed. Outside anyway. Can make firewood like that, if need be, and careful, I guess (proper length). For a wood stove.

Have a wood stove, should always be boiling water, or something. At least outside. Lots of moisture. Will freeze you in a tent. Most likely then. No experience with that. Fine to do in a cabin though. Did that lots with a wood stove going all day in the winter time. Extremely hot to do, in the summer time.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    The first time ever. My grandfather got a serious infection and fast. Less than a day. On the back of his neck wile outside working. In the summer time. From bug bits. There are clouds, on the ground. of bugs. up to your head in height. Mosquitoes during the day, and black files, during the evening and night. Black flies tear off your skin. Little chunks you can see sometimes gone. They bleed lots, for there size, the wounds. He had no choices, but to work, and do. Got to have that wood.

All the back of his neck had a boil on it. Formed in less than 1 day. The center inch or so was black. The rest was puss, if I remember correctly. If that black blood had gotten into his blood supply, (veins) and travelled throughout his body, he would have died of gang green, or something like that. This is what she did, to cure him. As she told me, using pine wood.

She never explained it very good. I never asked more. She said, she made a poultice of 1 inch thick pine wood. Like you saw a piece of tree 1 inch thick of trunk. By boiling it for like a hour I think. Then placing it on his huge boil, while still hot. Wrapped in a cloth, I think. Cloth may have been boiled too. But not burning hot when placed on his boil. She did this several times, and it busted open, and it drained out, and healed nicely. I remember, having a look at the back of his neck. It was like 30 years later, I guess. There was no scare at all. Big round boil, as they called it. Right away, she went to work on it. The boil, I guess, was still increasing in size, and had not started to build up enough pressure, to force the infection, into the blood (body), I guess. Partly anyway, I guess.

She said, it also drew out the infection. Maybe some type of capillary action, going on, with all kinds of disinfectants, and such, throw in, and well dispersed in the poultice. Maybe. Maybe some chemical changes go on too, when boiled.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    Dead pine tree, live pine tree, I do not know? Labrador pine anyway. If that matters. The cold does do things to trees. Slower growth, because of the cold make the rings smaller, so a denser wood then. More like a hard wood then. Maybe other things. I know, less knots in the wood.

10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning George,

I've read and was told stories about eating leather section from shoes/boots.

Had been an avid reader of the history of the WWII partisans living and fighting in the east European forests. It's mentioned frequently enough to understand what they went through.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. George Collins

173/230

Blog Posts:
    Well one more thing about wood stoves. Just seen a video online about having a fire in the winter time and having to wake up every hour to keep the fire going. Adding more wood.

This person also has a wood stove. Every wood stove we ever used, had a way to precisely control the air intake. Usually like a 4 inch diameter bolt head basically. That's 8 inch radius. That you could adjust manually. Behind this huge bolt head attached to a bolt. Was air intake holes or 2 curved slots air intakes. By adjusting the bolt head closeness to the air intakes, you control, the burn rate, of the wood, in the wood stove. Can speed up the burn rate, by increasing the air gap. Uses more wood then, and produces more heat faster. You could decrease the air gap, and the wood burn rate decreases, and the wood burns longer.

If you got up at like 6am, in the mourning, it still might have lots of coals in it. You put in lots of wood, just before going to sleep, and turned it down basically. It also had a metal plate in the chimney, a safe distance away from a stove, that might be throwing off lots of heat. You could turn off the chimney, by having it basically block the pipe entrance to stove itself. Or twist it via the handle straight up and down. Not quit sure why, never really asked. I guess you could slow down the air intake, and then, stop air from feeding, from the chimney, and keeping the fire going faster, than expected. Had to mostly close it at night, and then, mostly turn it vertical, in the mourning (least air flow impedance then). Enough anyway. Might smoke up the cabin, or tent, or home, if you did not do both, I guess (Carbon Monoxide poisoning maybe). Poor burning wood then.

Had 3 ways to heat the house. A oil burner and electric baseboard heating. Also a large cast iron double hulled wood stove. You could easily cook lots on. Multiple pots, pans. He modded the wood stove so that the hot air between the hull, when hot enough would turn on a air blower. A heat sensitive mechanical switch would click on and the blower would start. Pretty good. no click and it's how you know right away it's a switch problem. Might at first have to adjust the position and such. Doesn't need to be super hot. The switch.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  12. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A freezing story I can pass on . There was a guy in my area that posted survival videos on you tube regularly . I suppose he was trying to make a few bucks if he could gather enough prescribers . Actually I think we meet once accidently but can not swear it was the same guy . Anyway he conducted each winter a cold weather group camping trip to sharpen their survival skills . He claimed to have several dozen of his followers go with him each year on these cold weather camp outs in tents and sleeping bags . -- A few years back at the designated time we had a bitterly cold ice and snow storm dump the freezing material . Well they went on their survival camp out . A few days later his wife reported he was sick and not doing well . That was the last transmission from that survival group . Dying trying to prove someone's survival skills isn't much of a way to be a survivalist .

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  13. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Poltiregist,

This is a real good - and timely - example.

Am guessing the group skill level was nil. Am positive the group experience level was lower than nil.

Our fire would have buchu hardwood logs on it from our large ready supply. No one goes into a sleep bag until we're ready in case of an unusually cold ice and snow storm. I learned much about this from just living in a family when "cold" meant discussing the Korean War. Even today, along with my pri one medical kit, are a couple of ziplock bags with A+ wool socks from Bass Pro.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.