Frog Meat

Discussion in 'Finding Edible Animals and Bugs' started by Corzhens, Jun 27, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Frogs are the most prevalent critters in grassy places especially when there are parts that are wet. It's not common to eat frog meat but hungry stomach cannot afford to be choosy. All you need is a quick hand to grab a frog, slice the underside and pull to remove the skin. Cooking is easy. Put it on a stick and cook over an open fire. It tastes like chicken meat.

Ystranc and Koala like this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I eat frogs all the time we hunt them at night with a sling shot.

Attached Files:

Ystranc likes this.
  3. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    We eat frog legs down here all the time. The restaurants even serve them down here in the South!
    Frog meat has a very light taste, it's not too gamey like other wild meats. It's a great source of protein and is easily caught.

Ystranc likes this.
  4. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    So, you basically cook them like you'd cook chicken skewers on an open fire? I always wanted to try frog meat if I'm honest. I know that some will find it disgusting to even imagine eating one but I really love trying new food and I know that in a survival situation, any meat, could save your life.

I didn't realize that it tastes like chicken, haha! But is it chewy when you eat it? or can you make it nice and tender?

5. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:
    Nice and tender it will fall off the bone if you cook it slow most game meat will be tender if you cook it slow KIMG0173.jpg KIMG0174.jpg fd0618a6378a0ccd64f7d6ad0b523937.jpg

Tumbleweed likes this.
  6. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    You don't even need to wait until you're in the wild. I have eaten deer meat, frog meat, and alligator meat. This sort of thing grosses my loved ones out, but they taste just like chicken, and even better than chicken. Society has conditioned us to eat the same kind of poultry. Frog meat is lean compared to beef, chicken, and turkey. However, it is low in fat and calories, with high protein and omega-3 acids. If you're on a diet, it is good to eat. Perhaps it can boost your metabolism as well.

I remember having frog legs once on a cruise. It was fantastic! A good dish is a Singaporean stir-fried kungpo frog leg dish. You do need to be careful about the sodium as well as the soy sauce. Try grilling, roasting, or boiling them and see if it suits your taste. If you want to try the dish, here is a picture here with the article:

Hfn-ix2g8jtjdVOWCfFunnOi5N80Pf-C.jpeg
    Type weight- loss- nutrition frog legs nutritional-powerhouse into Google.
    Take note of the spoiler tag.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Ystranc likes this.
  7. Surviveordiemike

Surviveordiemike New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Yeah frog meat is white meat so is good to eat! Lots of protein and doesn't taste too bad if cooked right. If you can get past the stigma attached to eating frogs legs. Since some people can fathom doing such a thing! lol.. Well there are some tasty and healthy frog meat dishes out there.

But in a survivor situation, or even if you're going frogging (collecting frogs to eat) for recreation, food and or in a survival situation. You have to be careful and know your frog! Not every frog is good to eat, some are poisonous.

A good rule of thumb to follow is if it has any bright marks on it, bright red or yellow or blue colors avoid it as they are usually warning signals provided by Mother Nature for that reason.

Although, a lot of people have tried eating many different frogs through the ages. Some of them killed them of course. Some of them sent them into space toooo I expect lol...

8. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I've read and heard a lot about this type of meat and I've had several opportunities to eat frog meat, but I've never really wanted to. I think I can't see myself eating that kind of meat... It's very unusual for me (that's why I lose the interest :confused:).

It's not my kind of thing. :)

Robin Roberts Jungle likes this.
  9. rose thornes

rose thornes New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I have eaten it and its tasty. Taste like chicken. They are serving it in some restaurant as their specialty. But if your trying to catch some and planning to cook it, you should better know which one are edible. Some frogs are poisonous.

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Frog is good meat, the only reasons that more people don't eat it are social conditioning and availability. It's not a common food in the UK but it is available. Few people here eat it regularly.

Btw Robin, I'm not keen on the red text. I find it difficult to read against the black background so I didn't bother.

11. Robin Roberts Jungle

18/29

Blog Posts:
    I am sorry for that. I had a little too fun with colors, and I don't use red text anymore. Unfortunately, the post is old, and I am unable to edit it. I just talked what you said. We don't usually eat frog meat as a species because of social conditioning. Also, it's not a thing in the suburbs. If you come across it, it would probably be expensive. (On another note, any post you see from me that is not white/and or a neutral color is an old post. Please keep that in mind)

Ystranc likes this.
  12. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never had frog legs; but when we had our Cajun Kitchen Buffet, we did serve froglegs as one of the specials, along with oysters, soft-shelled crab, crawdads, and even alligator occasionally.
    We had customers who loved the froglegs (we called them the "froglegs couple"... to ourselves, of course) and they would come in almost every week to see if we had froglegs on the special, and when we didn't they usually had whatever we had on special .
    I did like the alligator when I tried that. It tasted (to me) somewhere between pork and chicken, and I liked the flavor.
    I didn't care for the soft-shelled crab and I don't like crawfish cooked with all of the Cajun seasonings; but I think I might like them just boiled or cooked like a lobster.
    I don't think that I am fast enough to catch a frog anymore; but in a survival situation, if I could catch it, I would eat it.

13. Robin Roberts Jungle

18/29

Blog Posts:
    I was never crazy about shellfish like lobster or crawfish because you have to dig deep to get all the meat. I have tried alligator as well. I think it was fried alligator legs. It wasn't too bad. My aunt and I both love to try crazy new flavors. We're the Anthony Bourdains of our families.

14. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    One good thing about us Cajuns, we won't starve. Frog legs, alligator, crabs and crawfish, we eat it all and know how to catch it all! I even know people who catch and eat the Nutria around here.

15. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I've had frogs legs on a few occasions. While not bad, I wasn't overwhelmed by the dishes either. But, it is another source of protein, so why not.

16. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I always wanted to try it , to be honest. My Mom told me about how they always hunted for frogs when they were kids and she said it's delicious. Unfortunately here it's pretty rare to get it in the restaurant and I don't know a place nearby where I can catch them.

17. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    There are some part of the world where frog meats is often consumed, and it's almost considered a delicacy. But I never really wanted to try it... and never had the occasion, actually. Everyone, on this topic and in real life, say that it taste like chicken but I have no way to prove that!
    One day I will probably try them, and I will be able to judge.

18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people don't know the difference between frogs and toads and some toads can be toxic, i know that some birds remove the skin on an amphibian because that is where the poison is located, we need to know what we're doing before we eat that, its the same with mushrooms there are far more that will kill you than are edible.

19. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Ive had frog, I really quite liked it. Historically the British ate a lot more things like frogs or shellfish that they consider inedible or distasteful these days. It says a lot about our society when people would see good natural food go to waste while cheerfully gorging on over processed greasy fast food/ happy-fried crap in a brightly coloured bucket. We've lost a lot of our knowledge of wild food here in the UK.

lonewolf likes this.
  20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid we ate frogs all the time. My Dad and I liked to go frog gigging and I even sold a bunch of them. We actually ate the whole frog and not just the hind legs. I skinned them like a catfish and we deep fried them. There is no mistaking a frog for a toad or vice versa. A Bull Frog has legs that are as big as a small chicken and a toad is all body with little skinny legs. Frogs live in the water and toads are dry land critters.

There has never been a chicken born that tastes as good as a frog. Their meat is a lot sweeter and not as stringy. I was raised fishing, hunting and frog gigging and we ate all of it with gusto. Squirrels and rabbits make great eating. I think that the thing is that most people these days try to separate the meat from the idea of a living creature had to die to feed them. I suspect that most these days wouldn't want chicken if they had to go out, catch it, kill it and then dress it and prepare it for cooking. I've butchered just about every kind of animal that people eat and killed my supper hundreds and hundreds of times.

Death is a part of life. I feel sorry for those that can't come to terms with this and will have it forced upon them if things ever actually do go down. Man's ability to eat almost anything is why we are everywhere in ALL environments and at the top of the food chain.

Bishop and Ystranc like this.
  21. Bishop

335/345

Blog Posts:

Could not have said it any better.

22. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I love frog legs. We have a creek that runs through our property in the mountains and there is a swell of cat tails and grassy area on it. There are a metric ton of bullfrogs in there. I like to go down every once in a while with a single pump BB gun and a long pool net. It's no chore to get 20-25 of them in less than an hour. I like to marinate them in a 50/50 mixture of Trappey's Red Devil cayenne pepper sauce and zesty Italian dressing and toss them on a grill. My wife who is from Louisiana and my my daughter LOVE them.

As an added bonus...the leftover frog parts make GREAT bait.

23. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I remember one time with my friend going out and saying we will only eat what we catch. anyway we got about 50 frogs and ate them very well. this type of living will make you a true survivalist.

24. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    All this is making me WANT a big pile of frog legs!!!

Ystranc likes this.