New Member From Virginia

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by KevinWimerAuthor, Sep 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. KevinWimerAuthor

KevinWimerAuthor Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    Hi everyone, I am a new guy checking in. I'm from Virginia and I am an author who loves learning and talking about survival and writing post apocalyptic fiction. I just recently started back to writing (took a long break while taking care of my grandmother) and I stumbled back into the world of SHTF type of writing. My first venture is a new zombie book called The Dead and The Living. I have a few new ideas to work in the future. I want a real world type of survival book. The power goes out and the characters are left to figure things out.

With all that being said, I look forward to talking with everyone and learning more about survival.

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum.

There are so few well written and realistic post SHTF novels. Please write a good one.

Side note: I loath everything to do with Zombies.

3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with sourdough , at my age I like my novels to be as realistic and practical as possible . I wouldn't even open the cover of a book that had anything to do with zombies . Another turn off for me in an apocalyptic novel , is some character trying to be a hero . Just thought I would throw that in , in case it might help and welcome from my retreat in the back woods of the Ozarks . Have you ever gave some thought on touring some real survival retreats to obtain book ideas ?

4. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Hey thanks! The one thing about this zombie book it is more real with survival situations. I wrote the characters to not be super humans. I made the mistake and did that with my first zombie book. This book is more about the living than the walking dead.

Where are some survival retreats? That would be of interest to me.

The next ideas of have about a post apocalyptic world will be more realistic. The TV show Jericho comes to mind. Red Dawn. The book One Second After comes to mind as well. Also, the book Lights Out. The book series Enemies Foreign and Domestic. The series on Netflix called Society comes to mind.

The genre that I typically write and publish in is horror. Horror has allowed me to develop characters and a storyline that isn't action driven. Writing my book Justice, allowed me to flesh a lot of that out too. I have action and a storyline that driven by strong characters.

I took time off while writing to take care of my grandmother. I needed to come back into the market with something that would get readers back to me and my work and a zombie book fit the bill. I also have two paranormal romance books that will hit the market to gain more readers as well.

If a story hits me, I write it. I have a lot of great ideas and I think I'm also rediscovering my love for writing action books.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    There are several close by each other that I know of in the Ozarks and suspect there are some other members of this forum that are not that distant . The trick is preppers / survivalist are reclusive by nature and may not want to reveal their location . If you did decide to tour some survival retreats in this area I could probably arrange for you a free mountain cabin for the night .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  6. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind and see what I can do when I start to write and research this book.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. I would echo what many here have said. I like novels that are realistic. Zombie stuff I wouldn't even pick up, and I am a voracious reader; probably three books a week. Good to have you with us. looking forward to you r next novel.

8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

Zombies not too interesting but mind altering pandemic is feasible. Don't need to add or at least highlight cannibalistic tendency but a super rage and desire to kill would be believable enough to hold an audience. Then fast action and limited character development, Let your follow up books help build the characters. You get more book sales and the readers is not bored learning about what happen when the character was ten and fell off his pony.

Morgan101 and KevinWimerAuthor like this.
  9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum Kevin.
    Keith.

10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Kevin,

A warm welcome from a fellow Virginian.

Did you ever write for Washingtonian Magazine ?

Ref the paranormal romance books; ... started me to thinking of the "International Society of Adult Children of Normal Parents".

I'm sure you'll get much value from MSF.COM.

Again: welcome !

11. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Thank you everyone!

My zombie book goes for editing later this month. Once book two is done I am moving on to something different. Maybe a post apocalyptic book that doesn't involve zombies. I have some sample chapters up on a few boards of my zombie book. You can get the feel for it and my writing style.

I want to dive deeper into humanity. How good people turn bad. The darkness that dwells within someone. I want to show how bad people have redeemable qualities in a time of crises. I would like to play around with that. I did some of that in my zombie book. Chapter 18 - 19 dealt with a situation of rape. It wasn't graphic but drove the point home.

I used to write from a military super hero point of view. I'm not military and never have been so writing that point of view is hard. I think I enjoy writing from the normal every day kind of man's point of view more. f

12. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Thank you my fellow Virginian! I did not write for Washington Magazine. I have been published by some small presses for my short stories. I had a small press (turned out to be a part of a bigger press that is a house hold name) wanting one of my zombie books. I went the self publishing route with it. Press's tend to hype up house hold name authors and let newer authors just be out there in the world alone. At least for marketing.

I can tell that is going to be a great sight to be a part of. I will learn a lot and when I start writing the apocalypse book I will be asking a lot of questions. EMP's fascinate me. I'm also thinking of writing a book that takes place in the late 70's to early 80's. I want to escape the modern world a bit.

13. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here! Looking forward to reading your posts.

As a Hurricane Katrina survivor, this has been one of my soapboxes. Most folks just can't wrap their minds around how the "nicest people" can turn into monsters.

News stories and historical accounts of austere times often uncover this nasty fact.

14. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to our site! I have been here since January and have learned quite a bit. I also love to write, and have knocked out a few short stories, but mostly I like poetry. I like post-apocalyptic stories as well; I consider Earth Abides (here) as far and away the most realistic and touching of that genre. A Canticle for Leibowitz, (here) is, I suppose, post-apocalyptic, although it is also one of the best pieces of literature I can think of -- it's taught in universities. I'm looking forward to reading your works!

15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening Kevin,

Well received.

The late 1970s ?! I vividly remember President Jimmy Carter and his society.Once had an empty bottle of "Billy Beer" in a collection.

There are a couple of day old posts on EMP somewhere around MSF. Info good for background.

16. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    That is very true. We can know someone or think we know someone until things go south. That's when their true character comes out.

Have you posted anything about going through Katrina? That would be interesting to read. I read things about what when on after the hurricane. People in camps waiting for help. Horrible things.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I will check out those books. I'm an avid reader. I love finding new books. I will read just about anything. I draw the line at erotica.

18. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I will dig around and look for those postings. I was a kid during that time and I remember Jimmy Carter. One of the things about that time that sticks out in my head and scared me as a kid was being taken as a hostage. I remember seeing someone (a group I think) taken hostage while on an airplane. I lived in fear of them coming to my house while I slept. It sticks out in my head.

19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, but they have not been collated in one place...yet. Lots of lessons on so many levels, especially because of the wide impact over four states at one time. It was a snapshot of the best--and worst--of humanity.

20. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to Mayberry. Mayberry has changed. You may no longer recognize Mayberry. Not since the SHTF has Mayberry been Mayberry!

"Sheriff Taylor, he'll put things right!"

Oh yes, sheriff Taylor has put things "right". He's put things right into his own back pocket! Andy's gone mad with power! Barney used that one bullet in his revolver to cap himself -- shaky Barney couldn't handle what was going down. And Floyd the barber? Kids, Floyd's gone NAZI on us. Floyd helps Andy with the jail. The jail is packed with the non-cooperatives -- the living ones, that is.

upload_2019-9-9_23-5-0.png

21. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    It was a horrific event. I can only imagine what you went through and what you saw. It is something that got me more into the world of prepping. I'm still not where I need to be with things but I have a better understanding now (still room for improvement).

22. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
  23. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I edited my last post to post the correct thread.

24. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Kevin, welcome to the forum! I am originally from deep in the back mountains of Virginia who found home in Alaska. I love forward to your posts!

25. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Thinking that is what is happening in the Bahamas right now....turning into monsters. Also I believe that happened down in Puerto Rico after their hurricane a years or so back...the monsters came out preying on the weak...and unawares.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

26. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Grizz,

An excellent point; a GREAT point, .. applicable to much more that Katrina.

In re "... have not been collated in one place...";

A BIG weak link in our national "program" is getting the "lessons learned" collected and collated so these lessons can be factored into our preparedness efforts for the next event(s).

I am saturated with reports, studies, articles, memos and all the rest, both pulp and cyber, because of this weak link.

I hope the "...yet" arrives.

27. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone!

Are the people who live in the Bahamas allowed to own firearms? I have often wondered about places without laws allowing those that can own a firearm own one. No way to defend themselves would be very scary.

28. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This link might be helpful. The Bahamas gun laws are considered "Restrictive"

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/bahamas

29. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
  30. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The Bahamas are going to have gun laws modeled after the UK.....Da....Tovarich!!!???

The privilege of the sovereign ..not individual liberty and freedome but privileges granted by a sovereign.

Exactly the direction someone is trying to take the USA...privileges..not rights from God.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I can see our country heading into a dark time should they try and take out gun rights away and succeed. Its a scary time right now. So many people are willing to give up their rights for a promise of having something given to them for free.

32. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Amen about zombies ... also stuff that seems to want to fulfil some perverted teens sexual fantasies. Different things for different audiences.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I think chapter 18 or 19 (I would have to dive back in and see what chapter) has one of the best chapters in the book. Its more realistic of what might happen if SHFT ever happens. Brandy is kidnapped and kept in a basement blindfolded. The basement is "The Butcher's" playground. I remember writing the chapter and thinking, man that was awesome!

I'm working on a werewolf, vampire and hunter book right now. Takes place in the town that my family is from. This one is interesting and fun and I'm having a blast with it. Once I am done with it I plan on working on something new. Maybe an actual SHFT style book. I have an idea brewing in my head and the longer it festers the better it will be. I also want to write book's two and three in The Dead and The Living. Eventually those books will be just about the living. The dead will be a background scene. So, more survival stuff. The working title for book two is "Supply Run" and that will take the group into new areas and new bad guys and allies.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    More power to you bro. I know many people enjoy the zombie genre, and if enjoy writing it go for it, my comment wasn’t designed as a criticism at all, just a reflection of different tastes. Whatever you write, you will find some great people here

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I didn't take your comment as being criticism. I just enjoy talking about my books and upcoming projects and learning new things as well. I like post apocalyptic books, movies and conversations about the what if and might happens. Being prepaid is something I feel strongly about. I think books are a great way to get people prepared or make their mind aware of things.

The book One Second after I think is one of the best SHTF books out there. It really shows how bleak things will be. I want to write something that is that impactful. When I do start to write something like that I will post sample chapters. Get some feedback and keep on moving forward on the project.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Kevin,

https://newrepublic.com/article/155305/disaster-novelist

In case you missed; I posted above link somewhere here at forum, I think.

NB: the original "zombie" involved an induced coma, then if person survived, became a slave for rest of their shortened life.

Transmitting from next to northern Va.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I will read the article.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    To me a novel should be within believability. I love Matt Brackens novels, they piss me off, because it is easy to see that in a few months the novel is current time reality. The first of the trilogy, where the BATF&E goes rogue, was so believable it could happen tomorrow.

39. KevinWimerAuthor

90/115

Blog Posts:
    I'm working on a new book now. Its going to be about an EMP. I'm in the early stages. I just started writing Chapter Two. This chapter feels a bit off and I will more than likely rewrite it. My brain is fighting with itself on what it wants this chapter to be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    BATFE is already a rogue agency. They are also UnConstitutional in their reach and scope of "authority"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Agree on the Zombies.

When I worked weekends in this shipyard and on Graveyard shift ….and when the dayshift stumbled in on Monday morning...there were plenty of Zombies walking amongst them.....in another world...not fully functional.

Zombies are not a new thing to me.

It took these Zombies until Wednesday to get back on track and fully productive and by then they were preparing for the next weekend.

No ...Zombies are boring to me...I've seen them aplenty...and don't like them nor want to be around them. Not fully functional until Wednesday ..they can be dangerous working around them. You have to watch your donkey around them.
    Career druggies ..the same thing to me..I don't like them as well. And that includes alcohol..

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.