Gardening Resources

Discussion in 'Gardening, Plant Propegation, & Farming' started by kgord, Jun 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    What kind of resources do you use for gardening? Those of you who garden alot what do you like to grow? Do you can any of your produce from gardening? Does it help you feel more in charge of your survival?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Check out other posts, this has already been covered kgord.
    Keith.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Really, this topic is way too wide by more than a long shot. There's nigh unto a Grand Canyon load of info appertaining. I read the question and my head started into super-nova -- luckily the whiskey was nearby.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think gardening and canning are great ways to have a stockpile of materials and edible things on hand should you be faced with a food shortage. However, I guess this topic has already been discussed thoroughly so I will try to make any following topics more specific to the issue.

5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    About canning fish, meats, produce.
    Ball, the maker of canning jars, has books available and not expensive.
    Google it.
    I buy canning jars at yard sales really cheap.
    Just make sure they aren't cracked and look where the lid goes on.
    If chips at the jar mouth, even a bit, pass on it.
    Taking a bit of handling care there is no reason jars won't last decades.
    You might start with canning tomatoes. High acid food that cans and keeps well.
    Even though they are high acid I add 1/4 teaspoon of acid product available in stores or
    half a teaspoon of lemon juice to increase acidity a bit.

It's pretty hard to starve on ol' hillbilly.:p

I'm not really, from Michigan, but parents and relations from W.Va.

6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Our garden is for leisure only since our harvest is not substantial. We have a variety of edible plants, from ginger to lemon plus fruit trees like mango, star fruit and sugar apple. When there is a big harvest, we normally give away the excess to neighbors and relatives such that they are always aware of the fruiting season of our plants and trees. We also have seedlings and saplings for giveaways to those who want to have a plant or tree of their own.

8. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    It is nice to be able to give away extras when you have a garden. I never have enough to give away to others but some people I know do, and I always end up wth extra tomatoes and so forth. I do have to remember to get some tomato plants since we are in prime planting season now. I should have looked at them when I was out and about and I kind of forgot to. Extra food is a great resource for all, not just survivalists.