Garmin Inreach

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by pacmantacman, Jun 16, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I’m going to be traveling to some more remote places around the world in the near future. So I’m looking to get this Garmin Inreach device. This device does a lot of things including sending messages when cell towers are down in urban areas, or if the government shuts off cell service.

This will be critical gear for me to communicate and navigate in places. But I could see it being a useful during short term unrest or crisis even in populated areas. Thoughts?

2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    If things are that bad I suspect the Inreach service will also be shut down.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Actually it has a pretty good track record of working when cellphones don’t. A friend of mine was in Iraq doing some work when cellphones weren’t getting out due to an “event” and he was able to text home just fine and revive information.

4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    They are very popular in Alaska with hunter and any backcountry activities.

5. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Wish I had one when I was cruising. the is a slick rig.

6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Pacmantacman,

I'm not familiar with Garmin.

I do want to mention something I recommend you check prior to trip. Inmarsat satellite phones are allowed in India and China but not Iridium sat phones.

Thus, recommend you check before leaving if the Garmin device is allowed in the country / remote area you'll be traveling to.

TMT Tactical and pacmantacman like this.
  7. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Garmin has a list on their website of countries it’s not allowed in. I think that list is accurate, but it’s worth fact checking for sure. The fact that it’s band should be a clue of what a force multiplier this thing can be I suppose.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Cell phones "not getting out" isn't the same as a Govt shut down of communications.
    Inreach still relies on outside infrastructure being operative.

It's probably fine as long as it's not a real "SHTF" (Whatever that is)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. pacmantacman

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Yea it’s a good question and distinction. I think when the towers are overloaded with everyone trying to call it should work great. Not sure if the Gov shuts down cell service. I need to ask my friend more questions about his experience.

TMT Tactical likes this.