Gas Masks

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by EarlyMarksman, Mar 26, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    Recently saw an article that claimed that gas masks are the most important prep you can have considering that before food and water you need clean, breathable, non-toxic air. While this is probably arguable, it's convinced me that I need to add some to my list.
    I've researched the Israeli civilian masks, and one perk is that they are cheap but do exactly what they need to. I'm just curious if anyone had any suggestions on a mask you've used personally, costs, filter shelf life, cost of filters, etc.
    Looking to get four of them in a couple different sizes.

howler, Blitz, Caribou and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ramazuri

Ramazuri New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hey there, that’s a great topic. I found a video on YouTube which is a great summary of the usage.

I’ve read many different articles about gas masks. Here’s a link to a video that gives some great tips.

Click on that link and once you land on the page, click on skip ad on the right top corner and then you will be redirected to the YouTube video that explains everything you need to know about: http://raboninco.com/73m9

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Funnily enough, amongst my husband's Army gear is a gas mask. I was wondering myself what the shelf life of the filter would be and how hard it would be to get replacement filters. Not sure how it would go down rocking up to a doctor's appointment wearing it. Pretty sure it would be more effective than the paper type masks though.

4. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Respirator need to have their filter replace after use. IF your intended usage is for keeping you safe from this plague, than a disposable N-95 respirator will due the job and also far more lightweight.

EarlyMarksman, TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Being the paranoid that I am and with the knowledge that my tinfoil hat may be a bit too tight. I wonder if a gas mask and filter for biologic's would also work to protect against smoke bombs, used by the military or law enforcement. Anybody got info on this question?

EarlyMarksman and howler like this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good evening EarlyMarksman, TMT and all,

Preface; My agreement is with Varuna. Lean toward a disposable mask so as to ditch the germs before entering the vehicle, etc.

First, what do you want the mask for ? To remain in your shack during a peril requires something different that GOOD - Get Out Of Dodge. A permanent mask with a supply of filters is a weight and volume that must be transported - usually in your kit.

The Israeli masks are most famous for the models manufactured for those with beards and those that cover cribs of infants/young children. They have much else on the market. Can't comment without specifics.

Cost of any mask must be a minor selection criteria compared to the risk of infection.

I have experience with a few. For office environments I prefer the (Dover, Delaware area) ILC S-Cape 30 model mask. A hard hat can be worn under it for getting out of the place. They are relatively expensive and one time use.

For most situations requiring a mask, my stock in trade is a P-100. It's better than a N-95 and frequently it's "overkill" but I must keep load out inventories very simple. "P" is best quality disposable mask series. Compared to N -95, it is expensive, but, of course, safer for the user.

I've used the US Army mask during riots in the late 1960s. I hated them because I could not function. The heat build up was tremendous and could not run nor shoot with the thing on. Helmets did not fit well over the mask straps and visibiliy was restricted. At night wearing them was dangerous.

7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    They make a P3 virus filter. Would a regular military gas mask filter work for a virus?

TMT Tactical and EarlyMarksman like this.
  8. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

No I'm not too worried about the virus, but more so for things that happen after grid down. Never know if the local psychopath has concocted a plan to release homemade dirty bombs across the place or just anything hypothetical.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:

Are these the P-100 masks you are talking about: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Safety-Equipment-Respirator-Masks/P100/N-5yc1vZc25kZ1z195hs

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't directed to YouTube but rather a site that tried to get me to download software. You trying to get me to download some sort of virus? Since you are a new member and this is your only message it leads me to believe that you are a complete scammer.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Admitting the major concern was in dealing with virus / bacteria and then the aftermath of possible smoke bomb or tear gas home invasions. Would one attachable filter type cartridge work or would multiple different type cartridges be required? I don't plan to run and gun but might need to use for home defense or to deal with a dirty bomb event.

I am sure I did mention my paranoia but it seems the a golden hoard attack would not want to burn down your home but would want to drive you out of your home. Cooked supplies is of no value to anybody, they need to be taken intact. Now let me quickly adjust my tinfoil crown, it is starting to pinch a bit.

EarlyMarksman and Caribou like this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Early Marksman,

Just glanced at the link.

No, I was not talking about the permanent masks with replacement P-100 level filters.

I was referencing my use of the P-100 disposable mask. From a distance, like walking over to a group of Emergency Responders, you could not tell the difference between a N -95 and P -100 mask.

Both require user to "form-fit" (mold) the mask next to face but this is a minor aspect.

FWIW, there is discussion going on for private citizens to start wearing masks in public. No edict will occur until suplies are available. I am sure the prices for many disposable models will drop soon.

13. EarlyMarksman

262/345

Blog Posts:
    It's not a tin foil hat you wear, but a thinking cap. Of course the brainwashed mass collective thinks we are all lunatics just for prepping.

howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Playing my what if game. If I was the leader of a golden hoard group, how would I force armed home residents to leave their homes. Home made DIY smoke bombs came to mind. As the hoard leader I need the supplies but I also know I won't stay the leader very long, if I get a bunch of my people killed every time we need to attack a house.So the need for a gas mask could be important BUT, I don't know doo-diddly squat about gas mask filters. Will a filter needed for a dirty bio-bomb, work against tear gas/ smoke bombs? I am leaning towards the full face gas mask vs. the eye hole (twin port hole) variety. Also leaning towards the single filter (bottom of mask) vs. the side screw-in filters. Any suggestions, comments or???

howler likes this.
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TMT,

The variables are numerous. Much is subjective decisions of the user.

My comment; Some of the best masks and hoods still have major trade-offs. I require flexibility and multi-use. My preference is for a hood that allows for also wearing a hard hat and for talking. Some of the best hoods defeat the bio, chem threats but cannot operate a vehicle.

Much involves trade-offs.

My biggest worry is fire and its poisonous gases. The newest and most dangerous threats are biowarfare, especially infected mosquitoes. I cannot elevate my protection much about fire and the poisonous gases generated by it.

TMT Tactical likes this.