Gas Per Year

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Jun 7, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a question for all the folks that heat with wood. How much gas a year do you use to process your firewood?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Good question. I guess around 5 gallons of gas for the chainsaws and about 10 plus gallons for the side by side to bring the wood home. I figure it easily saves me over a 100 gallons of heating oil which is a huge savings based on what it costs me to contract for delivery to my location.

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I use about 2 gallons of gas for the saws and about 9 - 10 for the splitter. Transport hasn't been very far the last couple of years (200 yards) so maybe 2 gallons for the side by side.. So, maybe 14 to 15 gallons of fuel this year.

Dale

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  4. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the replies. Do you think hat amount would change after a shtf event? Maybe more wheel barreling rather than side by side hauling. Maybe noise will be a issue. Also curious what is your preferred 2-cycle oil? I've been using amzoil sabre. or opti oil. Recently though I've come across some prepackaged pre-mix 2-cycle fuel. It's expensive but is suppose to have a great shelf life. Have not used any of that.

In my life a chainsaw has been one of the most useful tools to have. I have used it to build, for firewood, for cutting and selling firewood, clearing and brushing. I would hate to be with out a few.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    For me, probably no change but I border a National Park and then there would be no Park Service to contend with. So, a whole forest available.

If you don't mind, what brand chainsaw do you use/prefer? I like Stihl but have a Poulan at the moment.

Dale

6. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have husqvarna, stihl, jonsred and a homelite..

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
    1. Dalewick
      Had a Homelite some 30+ years ago. Loved that little saw.

Dalewick, Jun 9, 2020
  7. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a chain saw I cut dead trees or trees that need removing but buy most of my wood and save my trees for when S.H.T.F. . In my stash is several never used two man cross cut saws in case the situation makes obtaining gasoline not an option . My focus is on an world without electric grids thus no gasoline .

randyt and TMT Tactical like this.