Getting Around in an Urban Survival Situation

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    When a disaster occurs in an urban environment, you may ask yourself how am I going to get around? You may think you are limited to very few ways to get around efficiently. But there are a couple of different ways you can use transportation to your advantage. For example, if you are walking or biking you can take in more of the scenes. You can also easily maneuver around abandon cars, piles of junk and bad terrain. If you need a quicker way or are traveling long distances a four wheeler or dirt bike is the convenience vehicle. You can't take them as many places as your feet or drag them around, but it's basically a bicycle with a motor.
    upload_2016-1-24_19-46-26.png
    Once you start driving motorized vehicles fuel is going to be very important so you might want to have a couple of extra gas cans if you run out or come across a good source of gasoline. I would steer clear of cars because there are too many obstacles, and you would most likely have to abandon them very quickly. And if you are traveling very long distances and you are an unexperienced traveler you can acquire a boat because many rivers go through cities and connect to bigger channels that go through the states and so on. If you know how to fly that might be the best in this situation because you can just go to the airport closest to you and get a plane and pretty much go anywhere around the world. But then the problem is still always having fuel.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    once the power goes down fuel will become very scarce, you may be able to syphon some off abandoned cars but you need to know what your doing, you also need a decent length of pipe and a container to put the fuel in.
    don't bother after 6 months as petrol (gasoline in the US) goes "off" after 6 months, Diesel may last a bit longer.
    personally i'd stick to a bicycle.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Petrol is good for much more than six months!
    I have used petrol that has sat in a vehicle for more than a decade!
    The petrol in a carby may evaporate leaving a gummy residue that's a pain!
    Recently I helped start an old ford that had sat idle since 1998! a new battery and some aerostart and it fired right up and after a few minutes settled down to a reasonable idle on the old fuel. Gunk in the fuel lines stopped it after a few minutes so the tank and lines got a good clean out and fresh fuel but she fired up and ran on fuel that was at least 17yo!
    There should be no problems for many years unless the fuel gets contaminated!

4. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have been told that old petrol will "gum up" the carbs and the jets, not that it matters much 6 months after SHTF we wont be going anywhere anyway.

5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Two stroke can be a problem with the petrol evaporating leaving a tacky oil residue, but plain old petrol is useable for years!

6. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    not what I've been told.
    its academic anyway, 6 months after SHTF there wont be much fuel left .

7. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have been told six - twelve months by many also but
    My experience has told me otherwise.
    I once started and drove a short distance a 1965 ford falcon that had sat for over two decades in a barn!
    With new tyres and battery, fluids topped up and snake removed it was cranked over after a few taps with a hammer to free the starter motor
    It fired up and came to idle with ease, only drove it 100m or so to the car trailer but it run ok on its original fuel!
    I moonlighted as an offsider for this old car collector and many time similar situations happened
    Only ever had a few problems with diesel, none with original petrol if there was any!

Most trouble was had with long empty tanks as new fuel lifted old dried flakey grime and blocked the lines!
    All sorted with a petrol IV line directly to carby!:)

8. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    maybe so, but as the British fuel protests showed us, it will only be what one has left in their tanks, the petrol stations will be empty post event within 24-36 hours.
    most people in this country run their tanks on empty and only fill up when they hit the reserve.
    as far as I am concerned petrol post SHTF is the least of my concerns.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016