New Member Getting Prepared For What Might Never Happen?

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Eigbe, Jul 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Eigbe

Eigbe New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    For a number of persons, disaster preparedness is like waiting for the one who will never come but in reality the risk that we might somewhat be involve in a disaster someday grows daily, yet the atmosphere of indifference to its readiness around thickens around us.

Who knows, the right steps will take today may just be last factor that we determine if we will live as victims, survivors or veterans.

Keith H. and Third Pig like this.
  2. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Ah! I love this topic. In my honest opinion, I believe that we can't go around being afraid all the time. The reason people are indifferent is either because they're not afraid or they don't know. I'd rather be brave than ignorant like others because I know the risk involved and know I won't be fazed like it. Others that don't know don't have this privilege, and they may have a hard time adjusting to the consequences of a natural disaster. Hopefully, everyone takes the time to smell the roses and learn, so that most of us can be survivors if not all. Is that too optimistic? In reality, many of us won't be.

3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    If we haven't prepped to far we haven't prepped far enough!
    I learned that in police work also.
    Be ready for what is supposed to never happen that will happen anyway.

It did.

A woman working in a convenience store isn't supposed to get shot through
    the mouth.
    A little girl isn't supposed to be thrown through a windshield.
    A 65 year old woman working alone in a late night gas station isn't
    supposed to get raped.
    An old man isn't supposed to remove his head with a shotgun 3 feet in front
    of me. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    And.............................................................

I DON'T WANT NO MORE!

No wonder I'm nuking futs.:D

Third Pig likes this.
  4. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    A team of archaeologist is excavating in Israel when they find a cave with the symbols of a woman, donkey, shovel, fish, and a Star of David on the wall.

The head archaeologist points to the first drawing. "This indicates that these people were family oriented and held women in high esteem." he says.
    "The donkey shows they were smart enough to use animals to till the soil.
    The shovel means they were able to forge tools.
    Even further proof of high intelligence is the fish: If famine hit the earth, they would take to the sea for food.
    The last symbol is the Star of David, telling us they were Hebrews."

The young archaeologist shakes his head. "Sorry, Doc. You've got it wrong. Hebrew is read from right to left," he explains.
    "It really says, 'Holy Mackerel, Dig the Butt on that Chick!''

Gotta have a sense of humor.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    preppers prepare and sheeple don't!
    you can call us paranoid I don't care, but paranoids are NEVER surprised by anything, those with their heads in the sand are surprised by EVERYTHING.

Third Pig and Keith H. like this.
  6. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    daaa** I'm about to join MP in the Marine Corps and then probably make a career out of it in DPD (Detroit, Michigan). I'm not entirely sure I need to know this stuff before it happens :confused:

7. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Prepare for the worst. The skills you learn preparing for the worst case scenario and your everyday carry gear you practice with might save your life when your car goes off the road middle of a winter night or you are forced to survive a natural disaster. Sure SHTF might never happen but preparing for it might save your life when many life threatening situations pop up.

Third Pig and Old Geezer like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are precisely correct!

Over the decades, you WILL need your skills. Life met head-on will tax you to the limits. I can't EVEN begin to list the hells my wife and I have been through.

But know this, there are coming multiple SHTF events that will happen all around the world. A new world will appear at the end of these events. Either humankind will grow into spiritual adulthood or the Creator will start again sans humans or just a handful of humans ... whatever ... His Choice. Two hundred million years is a blip in this universe -- oh, and Earth is just one planet, less than a grain of sand.

Two big components of survival are:
    > Learning how to work hard and smart
    > Growing a huge spiritual heart. I'm not talking bleeding heart. I'm talking a heart that can withstand that which will cause weaker souls to soil themselves.

As to SHTF, son, things are going to go unimaginably bad. Glad to see you taking life seriously.

...... and I keep the most massive tool box in the back of my commute vehicle (4 x 4). I don't know what all is in there; shovel, pulley, ropes, chain, jumper cables, crow bar (4 ft), space blanket, regular tools, DEET, hatchet, ..., on and on and on. Man, have I ever seen the sh## go sideways!

Third Pig likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I look at my survival preparations in the same sort of way I do insurance except more fun. I have life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, liability insurance... Why WOULDN'T it have survival insurance, things can and DO happen.

The other insurances just take my money and if all goes well they don't offer me much back. My survival insurance goes camping, hunting, fishing, shooting, building things and feeds me lots of good things cooked over various fire based cooking devices. It is the one insurance that I will get to enjoy without having to die, be sick or have something bad happen to me.

Third Pig and Old Geezer like this.
  10. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I fully agree with being prepared for what may or may not happen truth is even if you prep for the collapse of society and just end up with a 3 week power and water outage it was time and resources well spent.
    Lots of people think someone prepping and living off the grid are crazy.
    While I enjoy living in the city.
    ( I admit I would like my own place out side of the city to do the prepping I can't in an apartment.) I like hanging out with friends, watch my favorite TV series, eating some junk food from time to time.
    But I'm ready willing and able to leave it even permanently. Being prepared isn't crazy ignoring the presence of the dangers of your area is crazy.
    Elementary schools have fire, hurricane and earthquake safety drills so why can't we have safety procedures at are homes.?

11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As to the other uses of kits:

I've helped other guys put out a truck fire.

I've helped other guys get a mega-idiot back onto a very steep trail -- not a road, no no no. Idiot drove a Jeep down a trail, a grass trail way out in nowheresville. By the Grace of God, a lone tree kept him and his girlfriend from going bouncy bouncy bouncy down the side of a mountain.

I've inflated tires for people. Gotten folk out of icy road shoulders. Seen a car rupture a gas tank, leaked like mad, baby strapped in back seat, mother went bat-sh## crazy, ... No, the car didn't blow-up.

Things go wrong in this world. You dont' gotta wait on any apocalypse!

12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The great thing about being prepared where I live is that periodically we actually do lose our power for days at a time. Hurricanes, ice storms and just big storms can knock down a bunch of trees and it may take several days to get the power back with you live near the end of the line way back off in the woods. For others these were trying times but for us it was GREAT. We would have people over and cook out on all of our wood burning stoves and smokers. I would light up the yard with lanterns and We got to play with all the toys we had for living without power. A small generator keeps the freezers frozen and lets us keep the various things charged. I have battery powered LED lighting and fans. If it is really hot we move out of the house into tents and if it is cold we fire up the various propane, wood and kerosine heaters. We play cards and dominos and read. We have radios and also books on tape for night time entertainment. Good Times.

Third Pig likes this.
  14. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    That sounds awesome to me.
    I don't get why more people spend more time preparing for there variations then safety for there homes.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would rather prepare and have something and not need it than be a sheeple and need something and not have it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    To have and to hold or to go without, that is the question.

lonewolf likes this.
  17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The way I see it is that most of the people on this forum are not the "keep up with the Jones's" type, therefore if we just continue to try to improve our lifestyles by helping the environment & making ourselves more self sufficient & self reliant, then we should end up prepared to survive anything that can be survived. This of course does not cover bugging out gear, & that is something that needs to be approached with practicality in mind. If the gear is not sustainable, then don't purchase it! No point in purchasing a battery operated do-dad & then have to purchase a portable solar panel to keep it charged, use your head! Think "what do I need" NOT "what do I want". In that way it will not cost you a fortune & you will still be ready for what may come.
    Keith.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    As preppers we should prep and get the things that are needed, I also like to get the things that are fun (firearms) that may be needed but we will hope are never needed. Keith is correct in getting something that will need accessories that may not be available in the future. Buying an item that requires batteries may not be the best choice. Eventually the batteries will die and then your item is dead forever. All batteries have a limited life span, so re-charging is not the key issue, it is life span of the batteries. Try and find products that do not have built-in drop dead dates. I look at the current trend for illuminated reticles and wonder what happens when those small batteries are no longer available. Extra weight on a scope that no longer turns on.

Follow Kieth's lead, buy things that you really need and that can stand alone, no batteries needed.

lonewolf and Keith H. like this.
  19. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    bdca48319f00e3ac78cba0e9ad28db7f.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think of it as insurance. Common sense and a sense of proportion obviously need to be present when prepping, but a realistic approach is good. Just in case.....

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "just in case" is exactly what prepping is, don't want it to happen but we are covered if it does.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Being prepared means different things to different people. Life experiences make each of us who we are, with each experience we add another need or priority. I am an old man now, but I still prepare for long term survival situations, because that to me is more important than preparing for a short term survival situation. That does not mean that the majority of people are wrong & I am right, it just means that we see the possibilities & our needs differently. On the other hand there are a lot of people who think as I do, but fail to be prepared properly.
    Now these are just my thoughts & opinions, so please don't take offense, but I will wager that more than half of the members on this forum carry more than one means of making fire; I am just using fire making as an example here. Many agree that carrying a primitive means of fire lighting is important, such as flint & steel, but they still carry other modern means of making fire. Why? I assume as a back-up, a just in case. But as I see it that means that they do not trust in their own abilities to be able to make fire with that flint, steel & tinderbox. Now if that is the case, then you are NOT properly prepared. To be properly prepared you need to be proficient in the use of all your tools/equipment, you should not have to add more gear for "just in case"! IF a situation turns into a long term survival situation, then that Bic lighter is not going to last, & starting to learn fire lighting skills when this happens could put your life & possibly other lives at risk, because you are NOT prepared!

Right now we have time, time to learn skills & get prepared for whatever may or may not come. As the weather changes, there are certain things we can be sure are going to happen. There will be food shortages! Right now my pumpkins/squashes are literally shriveling & drying out through the heat. We are mulching, watering & using shade cloth to limit this damage. But farmers will not be able to do this on a large scale. There are already water shortages, & we can't expect farmers to shade their whole crops, be it corn, wheat, pumpkins or whatever. We all need to become as self reliant as we possible can, because no matter what the survival scenario, this will be a priority.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, A lot of things have to do with regional rules and habits. For an example... I always carry a lighter either a zippo or a bic. I don't smoke and don't need to build a fire very often. I carry a lighter because where I was raised a man opened doors for ladies and lit their cigarettes. A lady only had to put a cigarette in her mouth and every gentleman around her would reach for his lighter. Old habits die hard and some will only die when my generation is in the ground.

I have no problem making fire in any number of ways but I would have a hard tome whipping out a flint and steel to light a ladies cigarette. I also see no point in using primitive means to light my trash fire ot light my torch. In the event of a disaster I assure you that if I need fire I will use my lighter as long as it works. Flint &Steel, Ferocerium rods, Fire pistons,mag glasses, and rubbing sticks together will be for when I'm in no hurry or have no other easier method.

It is sort of like my guns. I have a lot of them. I'm GOOD with them and have hunted my entire life. When I want a steak though I whip out my wallet not a gun. LOL... Now if it is rabbit stew, venison chili, or fried squirrel I want the guns DO come out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lately due to bad-ish winter weather, I've been using some of my supplies. Turbo-candles and kerosene sure come in handy when the power goes out. Just yesterday, we brought in more firewood.

Got just the BEST deal on batteries and flashlights this past weekend.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just last night we lost electrical power for over an hour . No problem here I just light my indoor propane lights that I have hooked to a 250 gal propane tank . That was just a small glich but prepping sometimes helps with the small stuff .

TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When we were boys (grammar school on), we all carried lighters and knives. Back then, nobody thought anything about such things. We'd buy smokes for our dads. In country stores, the really poor kids could only buy a few .22 cartridges at a time; maybe only 3 or 5. These youngins were going to go out and kill rabbits for the stewpot. I was more fortunate than that. Hurts to see, but it wasn't rare in nowheresville; kid's dad could be living in a bottle or killed in the mines. Life is hell.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    as far as fire lighting goes I carry matches, lighters, a modern spark striker and a flint and steel, I can also make fire- on a sunny day- using either my spectacles or a magnifying glass! after the collapse once all the matchers and lighters are used up I will use the modern spark strikers when they are all used up I will use the flint and steel, I will use whatever is available until it is not, that is one of my motto's, " use what is available to get to a place where it no longer works or dosent exist anymore".

TMT Tactical likes this.