Getting Ready To Get Ready To Be Ready To Leave.

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Jul 14, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Getting ready to Get ready to be Ready to leave. I started to post this in a different location.....then decided it should be here in "Advanced Prepping".

I've lived in Alaska for a few months short of 50 years. I have never seen weather like this. It is July 14, 2019 and it is extremely dry, has not rained in seven or eight weeks. I am near the center of an eight million acre National Forest.

I confess that I often giggle about all the talk of bugging out. But I started worrying about forest fire. In a normal summer we bitch about the rain. This summer it has been in the 80's and 90's and my pond went dry a month ago.

Now.....to the point. I still have a fair amount of heavy equipment. And I had a 20 foot connex (shipping container) one of the hard to find ones with double doors on each end. I but it on a 16 ton tilt deck trailer and positioned it near buildings. It is hitched to a good size truck, and the plan is the first hint of actual fire danger, I will be throwing as much stuff as possible into the shipping container, and on the flatbed truck.

If it happens, there will "NOT" be any traffic congestion. This is the first time I have ever given serious thought to "Bugging-Out".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Morgan101, Radar, Keith H. and 3 others like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I pray there is no forest wildfire. But this is advanced prepping.........reality.

3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    In my area, there is a huge National Forest in back of me and Federal managed wilderness areas all around. Fire risk is extremely high here. There is a possibility that all roads in and out of here could be engulfed in flames, and that I may have to flee on foot with only the bare minimum I can carry (The lighter my pack, the faster and longer I can run.)

Radar, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You guys may already know this . As a previous professional forrester I have fought thousands of wild fires . If you can not evacuate go down hill , preferably where there is water at the bottom . It will be hotter , smoker and less oxygen up hill . If you can reach a low elevation with water you can lay in the water to stay cool and will have much more oxygen .

Morgan101, Radar, Sourdough and 2 others like this.
  5. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Fire is always a worry for me. Fire defense prep is probably activity number three for me each year behind agriculture/subsistence collection and collecting firewood (I have to heat three structures, so it takes a lot of wood). Fire defense was my number 1 priority the first two years after we bought this old homestead. Now it’s maintaining it and incremental improvements in my defense. But that still takes a lot of time.

IBME, we had a good soaker last night and it filled half of my rainwater collection system. So there is hope it will move more southwest and hit you. It was 52 this morning so our heat has broken too.

On the positive side, the blueberries matured the earliest I’ve ever seen them up here and we collected a couple gallons of them yesterday.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Polt. I have my eye on one of two ponds in the area to jump in. The ponds are pretty small, but at least they are not surrounded by trees.

(The nearest lake is at least 10 miles away. There is only one river in my immediate area, but it is pretty narrow, shallow, and thickly surrounded with large trees.)

How large of a tree-less clearing would be enough to protect me from crown fires? The ponds are not mine and have tall grass, some brush, and a few very small trees (large bushes?) around them.

This area is thick with bears, mountain lions, deer, and the usual assortment of smaller critters. I am sure to have plenty of company in the pond!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Grizz where you and I came from a crown fire was rare . Of the thousands of fires I have fought down there I can think of only two crown fires I fought . A lot of factors come into play to create a crown fire . As for as the pond you mentioned , I wouldn't worry too much about a crown fire there . I am not that familiar with the nature of fires in our new adopted retreats . If you were in the pond and a crown fire was leaning flames over you , you would probably still be safe . I know because I have found myself under a intense canopy of flames as wind leaned a crown fire over me and I didn't have the advantage of being in water .

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Wow, how on earth did you survive that? What protected you?

BTW, I moved away from where you are talking about over twenty years ago... The place I am in now is mountainous. I am near the bottom of the north slope of one of them.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  9. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    At that time we had zero flame retardant clothing . We just bought us some cotton britches and went to work . Remember though the flames were over me . I was not in the flames . I loved the adrillen rush . It got to where I needed bad fires then worse fires to get my adrillen

10. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The weather is the same here, we are in a drought. Tanks getting low, & the dam is lower than it has ever been in the past 30 years! Fire danger is high & it is winter! We are going to have to widen our firebreaks before summer!
    Keith.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    You firebug, you!

I hope you got that out of your system by now!

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  12. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    This is probably a lamebrained thought, but what the heck, here goes:

Build a raft (or two) of some kind, and in case of fire, put your gear on it and temporarily anchor the raft in the river near you. You and your gear may be able to safely ride the fire out in the middle of the river.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  13. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I live on top of a mountain cliff and suspect we live in the same general area .

14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Here everything is extremely dry........but the rivers and creeks are at flood stage. Massive melt off of glaciers into rivers and creeks, and even non-glacier creeks are high because of accelerated snow melt in the high country. The forest here is mostly Spruce and some Hemlock trees

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    So in other words, it would be very hard to anchor a raft right now, lol. Maybe build a raft thing to have handy for when the river is not at flood stage? (Mid - late summer?)

Spruce and hemlock! Smells like heaven to me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    They don't have much smell.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I am surprised, especially considering how the woods smell where there's a number of pine trees growing.

But then, I may just be different. I can track odors better than anyone I know. My friends claim that I must be part beagle, lol. (No, I am NOT a witch misspelled!)

Radar, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of world class "Understatements"......:p

19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
  20. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:

I don't think it is lamebrained in the least. I wouldn't build a raft, but I have seriously considered buying a canoe to do exactly what you described. I might have to buy two, since we are three adults with BOB's. We could get to a modest size river in a few minutes. A very short distance south is a huge wide area where people use the river like a lake.

Fire has always terrified me. I know no defense from it other than evacuate.

21. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If you get a canoe and are shot at, do you know how to patch any holes on said canoe? When you said people use the river like it's a lake, all I could imagine was your little group being shot at and forced into one canoe.
    So, if you are in a group, say 3 or 4, would it be wise to have a little bit of everyone's stuff spread out amongst your BOBs? What if for one weird, unexpected reason, one of you has to leave your bag behind Or something happens to it along the way?
    Imagination running wild here.

22. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    If I am shot at while I am sitting in a canoe I am probably a much bigger, easier target to hit. Therein lies a whole new set of problems. If there is an upside (hopefully) there is no purpose in sinking someone's boat other than to be malicious. When the boat/canoe sinks, everything will be lost. Everybody loses. The shooter will gain nothing, and will use ammunition. Could I patch a hole? You could hit a rock or a submerged tree. Probably. It would depend on the size of the hole.

The contents of our BOB's are very similar. They all have the five C's. They all have food, water/water purification systems, IFAK. Sleep systems, cooking systems, shelter systems. Clothing is specific to each although my son and I could wear the same clothes. Shoes might be an issue. Personal meds would also be an issue.

I like to think that I have tried to be thorough, and thought it through. It is always good to be challenged, and have somebody ask questions.

23. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Very good points, but the shooter only knows that she doesn't know you, sees you as a threat. Maybe it's me shooting at you to deter you only.
    Well, I've got miles to go. Nice chatting with you. I'm not trying to provoke anybody. I have often been called paranoid, suspicious of just about everybody and I have been trying to be nicer because it can come across as being a bwitch.

24. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not to me. You are learning, and curious, as we all should be.

25. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Radar. I thought your question brought up a point I had not thought about. The need to share / duplicate important items in among the other packs / bags. While most clothing items can be used by most other members, shoes could be a real issue. If you are the giant of the group, pants could also be a problem. Good question Radar.

Morgan101, Radar and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know how to repair my boat, & I would be carrying the necessary repair items needed anyway. I think everyone has to be responsible for their own equipment/supplies. A friend & I were swamped on the Great Lakes in winter one time. We still managed to get the boat & all the gear to shore & get a fire going in the pouring rain & a shelter erected.
    Keith.

Morgan101, Radar and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  27. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just a quick point on sheltering from fire in a water source. This is not always a safe place, fires can be so intence that the water can get very hot, & you may have to stay completely submerged in some cases. However, If you are unable to back-burn, & you can't dig in under the earth, water may be your best bet. Cover your head with your pure wool blanket, this will enable you to come up for breath without getting burnt.
    Keith.